Answered

what is the best way to get audio from a roku streaming stick to a sonos amp

• 16 August 2019
  • 5 replies

i have a BenQ projector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K2V0WP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a Sonos Amp connected to four Klipsch outdoor speakers.

I tried:
Roku -> HDMI input on the Projector -> projector audio out -> RCA input on the Amp
but the audio delay is very noticeable.

What is the best way for me to connect a Roku streaming stick+ to the Amp for best audio fidelity and remove the audio delay?

I have read about using an HDMI splitter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extractor-Converter-JTDAT5CH/dp/B00BIQER0E/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_23_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1BMQHQBX240ZGV9KMK1Y)

and converting to optical audio, then using the sonos adapter to connect to the HDMI input on the Amp, but this seems really inelegant and messy.

Thanks in advance for any help.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 August 2019, 02:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

That delay you're experiencing is because you're using the analog input on the Sonos Amp...it is part of the process that Sonos does on all analog inputs, regardless of what device the input is on.

You really want to be feeding your Sonos Amp with an HDMI signal. The switch you linked to would be one way to do that.

The issue you need to be aware of is that the great majority of Roku devices do not seem to have the ability to send a Dolby Digital signal. So you're not going to be able to get a home theater effect out of it, unless you have the one (I think they made only one model that supports Dolby Digital) that does.

But if you can set the Roku to send a stereo signal out across HDMI, and connect the Roku to the HDMI switch, then the stereo signal would be carried out through the optical port, which you would then connect to the Sonos adapter which provides it as an HDMI-ARC signal to the Sonos Amp. Note that the adapter doesn't come with the Sonos Amp, it's a separate purchase.

That would get you a good stereo signal from the Roku into the Sonos system, with minimal (roughly 30ms, I think, and imperceptible, as opposed to the 75ms on the analog input) delay. But you're not going to be having a true "home theater" signal, just a stereo signal.
From the Roku setup page:

Note: The Roku Ultra model 4640X* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, soundbar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.
That delay you're experiencing is because you're using the analog input on the Sonos Amp...it is part of the process that Sonos does on all analog inputs, regardless of what device the input is on.

You really want to be feeding your Sonos Amp with an HDMI signal. The switch you linked to would be one way to do that.

The issue you need to be aware of is that the great majority of Roku devices do not seem to have the ability to send a Dolby Digital signal. So you're not going to be able to get a home theater effect out of it, unless you have the one (I think they made only one model that supports Dolby Digital) that does.

But if you can set the Roku to send a stereo signal out across HDMI, and connect the Roku to the HDMI switch, then the stereo signal would be carried out through the optical port, which you would then connect to the Sonos adapter which provides it as an HDMI-ARC signal to the Sonos Amp. Note that the adapter doesn't come with the Sonos Amp, it's a separate purchase.

That would get you a good stereo signal from the Roku into the Sonos system, with minimal (roughly 30ms, I think, and imperceptible, as opposed to the 75ms on the analog input) delay. But you're not going to be having a true "home theater" signal, just a stereo signal.

Thank you for your reply. This confirms my suspicion that the Sonos adapter will be necessary in order to get serviceable sound to the Amp for TV/movies. That's a shame and seems a bit cheap, given the cost of the unit itself.
From the Roku setup page:

Note: The Roku Ultra model 4640X* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, soundbar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.

Thank you, I do have Roku Ultras in my house. Unfortunately, this is for an outdoor movie setup and I'd figured the Streaming Stick+ would suffice. Looks like I was wrong.
I have found lip sync issues to be hard to notice when the analog line in is set to uncompressed mode, and bad enough to be a bother using compressed mode; the problem here is that sending on the music to other Sonos speakers wirelessly in uncompressed mode can be a challenge, but that does not seem to be the requirement here.
So try that before buying anymore kit, I suggest.