Answered

Volume increases between TV and Streaming

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I upgraded to S2 and now my volume increases dramatically when I switch from TV to streaming or a DVD. I’ve called Sonos tech support and got no resolution and they said I could not return to the S1 version which worked fine.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 March 2021, 10:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Joembyrd 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your Playbar cannot be downgraded to S1 - but I find it unlikely that S2 is the problem.

Some settings may have changed, however, so we’ll adjust some things and see if that helps.

• Turn on your TV and make sure TV audio is playing through your Sonos home theatre speaker.
  • Open the Sonos app.
  • In the System tab, select your home theatre speaker.
  • Tap the Now Playing bar at the bottom to open the Now Playing screen.
  • Tap the NightSound-24px.png Night Sound icon to toggle Night Sound on or off.

This will compress the dynamic range of a surround sound stream coming from your TV. Basically, this means there’s less difference between something loud and something quiet.

On the same screen, please also try tapping the image.png Speech Enhancement icon to toggle Speech Enhancement on or off. Speech enhancement boosts the centre channel, thus making dialogue louder compared to the rest of the track.

Please note that it is normal for different audio sources to be a different volumes, especially if the sources are of different age. I would expect older music to be mixed at a lower level than that of modern music, and modern movies are mixed to have much greater dynamic range (and all movies are mixed with cinemas in mind, whereas TV programming is not). 

Thanks. This has resulted in an improvement. It’s not back to where it was but much better. Thanks again.  If anything else comes to mind, please pass it along. 

---Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You’re very welcome.

Your TV may have a setting to adjust the volume automatically - this is meant to stop advertisements from being much louder than the program you’re watching. You could try turning this on, but I personally find this annoying as it is not instant (at least not on my TV). Worth checking though.