Answered

Volume display tv

• 6 November 2017
  • 9 replies

I hooked up my Playbar to my Samsung 4K tv. Previously the tv volume would display volume number when i changed the volume. With the Playbar there’s no volume display on the tv when I change volume.

How do I get the Playbar to show volume number on tv like it did previously with tv volume? My wife sometimes complains Playbar volume too high since I can’t see a volume number. Thx.
icon

Best answer by Lucid AV 6 November 2017, 03:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

It can't really be done. The optical cable is a one way data stream, so the TV has no idea what volume the PLAYBAR is set at.
Badge
My TV did same thing when i switched to a new one. Dont think there is a way to make it show volume level
It can't really be done. The optical cable is a one way data stream, so the TV has no idea what volume the PLAYBAR is set at.. Thx for your feedback!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Since the TV-to-Playbar connection is via Optical rather than HDMI ARC then the only way you'd achieve an onscreen display is if you were altering the Optical level coming out of the TV. Even then, you'd need the TV to have a feature where it switches off the internal speakers and then displays the optical level instead.

I know certain TVs have had variable Optical out in the past, but whether any new sets have it I don't know. Besides, would you really want to change the TV for this?

There is an alternative. The Sonos app runs on Android as well as Apple. It shows the real time volume level. There are inexpensive 7" tablets with Wi-Fi that can run the app. If your wife had access to a tablet she could see the volume level for herself.

It's also worth mentioning that TV ads generally play louder than programmes. You'll also find that some TV channels are louder than others. Those are good mitigating arguments for the defence, me'lud 😉 lol

On a serious note though, if you're finding that TV needs to be turned up louder then it's worthwhile getting a hearing check. We all lose some top end as we age. However, some of us also lose a bit of general sensitivity across all frequencies. If dialogue seems a bit muffled then maybe think about getting a hearing test.
Since the TV-to-Playbar connection is via Optical rather than HDMI ARC then the only way you'd achieve an onscreen display is if you were altering the Optical level coming out of the TV. Even then, you'd need the TV to have a feature where it switches off the internal speakers and then displays the optical level instead.

I know certain TVs have had variable Optical out in the past, but whether any new sets have it I don't know. Besides, would you really want to change the TV for this?

There is an alternative. The Sonos app runs on Android as well as Apple. It shows the real time volume level. There are inexpensive 7" tablets with Wi-Fi that can run the app. If your wife had access to a tablet she could see the volume level for herself.

It's also worth mentioning that TV ads generally play louder than programmes. You'll also find that some TV channels are louder than others. Those are good mitigating arguments for the defence, me'lud 😉 lol

On a serious note though, if you're finding that TV needs to be turned up louder then it's worthwhile getting a hearing check. We all lose some top end as we age. However, some of us also lose a bit of general sensitivity across all frequencies. If dialogue seems a bit muffled then maybe think about getting a hearing test.

thx. Hearing good! Not looking to change tv. Just asking a question since I noticed volume display wasn’t available. Love my Playbar and sub!!
I actually want my volume bar to not come up when changing the volume? My TV is a Hisense and ive disabled the tv speakers as part of the set up but whenever I change the volume via the tv remote it still brings up the tv volume bar? Is there anything else I can try?
I actually want my volume bar to not come up when changing the volume? My TV is a Hisense and ive disabled the tv speakers as part of the set up but whenever I change the volume via the tv remote it still brings up the tv volume bar? Is there anything else I can try?

I would talk to Hisense support to see if they have a solution for you. If they don't have a solution, then getting a 3rd party remote, as was suggested in the other thread you posted in, is your best option.
I have the opposite question to the original post! When setting up Beam the Sonos app told me I could get rid of the volume display on my TV after set up if I wanted to but I can’t see how I’m meant to do this - any ideas?