Answered

Volume difference when switching between TV and music

• 11 October 2018
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
There is a significant difference in volume when switching from TV to music on my soundbar, ones, sub 5.1 system.
Comfortable listening on the TV becomes way to loud when switching over to music. Have to remember to turn down the volume when switching over. Is there any way to adjust this so the volume is the same for both.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 October 2018, 20:34

View original

41 replies

Hi, I notice this with my outside tv (Sunbrite 65 inch 4k) but not with my inside tv (Sony XBR900); I selected the ‘Loud’ option on the Sunbrite and it increased the tv volume output noticeably. Worth trying if you have the option.

The volume difference on the TV and when playing music is driving me crazy. Any update and is Sonus really taking this seriously? It’s a huge flaw. My husband wants to disconnect and my neighbors aren’t very happy either. This is not a cheap system to install and something as fundamental as this really needs to be addressed.

I have LG B8 and the volume difference is huge between Music and TV

Furthermore Sonos has the ability to change volume settings depending on whether it’s TV or Music playing, as under room settings, I can modify Surround Audio for different levels on TV and Music. We just need the same setting for relative Volume on TV and Music independently

Comon Sonos, you products are expensive and you have money for the small software change, we need this.

Worth noting something I found out thanks to Sonos support - even though my TV is Dolby Digital enabled, and Sonos Beam likewise, I was only broadcasting PCM signal to my Beam, which is quieter than Dolby Digital.

After switching my TV output to support Dolby Digital, the TV got a lot louder and similar to my music output. This is relevant for streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. TV antenna or Youtube still play PCM, I find Youtube is pretty loud anyway, TV antenna remains quiet.

So it’s not as simple as saying TV should be louder, it varies a lot depending on source and format.

My best solution to date is with my on line access, when I get up I select the Pandora station I want to play & then turn the TV sound down at that time. I prefer the desk top access to the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

How is this still not a feature - on the Sonos Port and Amp you can select the volume gain level based on the input, surely this could easily be replicated for the Playbar, Beam and Arc? 

Digital outputs are not generally variable, it’s an “on or off” thing. They’re supposed to be all “line level” with no variation. 

Just got ARC and surrounds have the same problem only in reverse. When I switch to music have to turn up volume to hear it. Then when you go back to tv it will blast you out of the place. This can’t be hard to fix considering the amount of money spent on this.

No, it really isn’t. You just need to go into the room setting, choose the surround speakers, and adjust the relative volume for either or both the TV or streaming settings. 

I’ve had sonos home theater for many YEARS and this continues to be a problem!! I’m amazed at the simple user issues that they just won’t address…In fact, the latest app update makes it even harder to jump into the playbar level settings to turn it down before it blasts the entire house!!! FIX THIS! Just allow us to set a standard “intro volume” then! My factory car stereo is smarter!

New owner of my 1st Sonos equipment (Beam)  I am experiencing the problem. My TV requires about 80% volume level and the music around 20%. 
Optionally customizing a default volume level for each source in the SONOS app could be an easy solution.
Too bad there is still no solution 3 years after the 1st message in the sonos community.

Personnaly I solve the problem using home automation within « Home Assistant » , a script automatically changes the volume level to 80 % when the tv is turned on and goes to 20 % when the TV is off. 

Doubt it, Sonos say yeah yeah we will pass it on, 6-7 months down the line nothing has happened!

3 years later I’m searching for a fix for this issue- what a joke. 

Doubt it, Sonos say yeah yeah we will pass it on, 6-7 months down the line nothing has happened!

3 years later I’m searching for a fix for this issue- what a joke. 

I think it’s maybe just a case that Sonos’ choice/preference is to not interfere-with, or alter, the audio in any way whatsoever, and so their products just simply play whatever the source device sends to their speakers, exactly as intended … so if anything, it’s at the audio source where things perhaps need to be changed.

This is also driving me crazy. Have to turn volume almost up to full volume to play tv on projector with Beam and surround sound.  Then I go to play music and it’s ridiculously loud. My parents and dog almost had a heart attack when I played music after my kids had been watching a film. This is ridiculous. Surely they can fix it. 

For those who are interested, I also had this exact problem (TV volume very low through the Sonos Beam, but music volume is very loud) but found an easy solution. My TV has the option to disable CEC in its settings menu. (CEC is what allows other devices, in this case Sonos, to change the TV volume.)

Disabling CEC does not affect the actual audio output through the Sonos or anything else, but with CEC disabled the Sonos can no longer control the TV volume, so effectively the Sonos volume and the TV volume are decoupled. So, I could then set the volume using the TV remote control higher, to match the volume of the Sonos music. Now the two are perfectly balanced in relative volume.

Hope this is useful to someone.

-Adrian

This worked for me … 

For those who are interested, I also had this exact problem (TV volume very low through the Sonos Beam, but music volume is very loud) but found an easy solution. My TV has the option to disable CEC in its settings menu. (CEC is what allows other devices, in this case Sonos, to change the TV volume.)

Disabling CEC does not affect the actual audio output through the Sonos or anything else, but with CEC disabled the Sonos can no longer control the TV volume, so effectively the Sonos volume and the TV volume are decoupled. So, I could then set the volume using the TV remote control higher, to match the volume of the Sonos music. Now the two are perfectly balanced in relative volume.

Hope this is useful to someone.

-Adrian

Beautiful, disabled CEC and problem solved.