Video Streaming

• 30 July 2006
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 2
I've used the Sonos device for a few hours now.

I love it.

I love it a lot.

I wonder if they are making the next version of this device to support video streaming.. you must.. you must.. :)

And, make it cool like you do.

Go Sonos !!!

-Anil

Would you like to have Sonos offer Video Streaming solution?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

I've added an option to cater for those who feel that adding video streaming to the system isn't desirable.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
I voted no thanks. Not that I wouldn't want to be able to stream HD throughout my house but I would want it to be a separate product. I just see combining both into one product bringing about too many compromises across the board regarding hardware, installation, software implementation, and daily usage.
Userlevel 2
I completely disagree. I believe that there is a market out there that is just waiting to be explored.

The only popular service out there that sells videos right now is Apple and the video quality really sucks. Inspite of this limitation, the very small video iPod is selling a lot.

I am not proposing that Sonos build a HD quality video product .. all I am saying is that they look into it and see how far they can take it. The least they can do is build a video screen right on the controller, they've got the Apple's scrollwheel, it's one more step to get the video piece integrated and another step to get the video output from it.

One year from now, I predict this market will be saturated with products from Sony, Roku and several other small players.

My 2 cents.
-Anil
Userlevel 2
I votes no thanks for pretty much the same reasons as Charles. A separate component would be a cool thing... but I don't see myself having as many rooms having video in the same way as audio. Granted, there would like be more than one though!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I vote no too and, it seems, so does the boss of Sonos who reckons it's 10years away:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5187382.stm
Badge +20
Perhaps in another product - but not in "my Sonos" thank you.
Badge +2
Hey cool, a poll! 😃 My gut reaction to this poll is that I do NOT want video features to be added to the Sonos. The term "one-trick pony" is usually very negative, but in the case of Sonos I am ever appreciative of it!
I voted I don't care... I almost voted it would be nice... but I have no video I plan to stream.

If there was some and it all integrated nice maybe I would. Not something I'm excited about at this time.
Userlevel 2
The term "one-trick pony" is usually very negative

So is the term "jack of all trades..."

Personally, I'd like to have video streaming (so i could watch a good quality picture from my satellite box in another room) but I don't think I would want it in my Sonos system at the moment. It would be better off being a dedicated system, and with current technology would require wired rather than wireless connection.
Userlevel 2
As you can see about 60% of the market interest is in the don't care or no thanks category. And, if you look at the explanations, most people are concerned that you would modify the existing Sonos -- which was not my original thought when I started this poll. I was proposing a separate product. Plus, there aren't enough providers in terms of videos that can be streamed. This is changing of course.

But, there is a 40% market out there, users that really want to explore this market and have an active interest.

Does this "new product" qualify as something for the emerging market then?

Should Sonos build a separate product and test this market?

If implemented how much would people be willing to pay for it?

I guess its time to run a separate poll to answer these questions.

Very interesting discussion .. I'm impressed that people are afraid to overload Sonos, shows your dedication to the company.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
1. To my mind, the Sonos audio product is practically perfect.

2. I would like Sonos to be a great commercial success. Anybody who makes a product this good deserves that success.

3. The current market for Sonos products is limited to a relatively small slice of the market.

4. If I were managing Sonos, I would be trying to expand my addressable market.

5. Video seems like a potentially large market.

6. Just streaming cable to mulitiple rooms does not strike me as a barn burner.

7. If Sonos can figure out a way to allow users to legally rip (or download) DVDs and other video content to a central storage location and then conveniently view it in any room, the product would be a huge hit.
Userlevel 2
But, there is a 40% market out there, users that really want to explore this market and have an active interest.I'm not sure I would take 31 votes at a techie forum to equal any market.
7. If Sonos can figure out a way to allow users to legally rip (or download) DVDs and other video content to a central storage location and then conveniently view it in any room, the product would be a huge hit.It's been done for a quite a while now... http://www.escient.com/products/dvdm552.php.
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure the escient products don't rip DVDs but they do control DVD changers.

I would like to have video centrally managed and accessible via a remote similar to the current Sonos remote. Even if it was via a DVD changer, the ability to access any of my titles either in the Home Theater, living room, or bed room would be very cool.
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure the escient products don't rip DVDs but they do control DVD changers.I meant to link to the kaleidescape... http://www.kaleidascape.com/products/server.html as it stores up to 825 DVDs. Here is an overview of the entire system... http://www.kaleidascape.com/products/ or http://www.kaleidascape.com/files/datasheets/Kaleidescape-Overview.pdf.

But, there is a 40% market out there, users that really want to explore this market and have an active interest.

That's just not true. There's around 17% who really want this, and another 17% who say "would be nice".

I also agree that this forum doesn't make a good market indicator.

I woould also say that market interest isn't always that useful anyway. Sure people want a streaming video solution, but what form factor? What price point? etc. These things make a big difference to what a product is like and whether people actually buy it.

Take audio streaming: it's been around for at least 10 years, but it took the likes of Sonos to package it appropriately to make it popular and desirable to non-techies. It also required the supporting technology (home networks, decent spec hardware, etc.) to be available.

The world already has good video streaming solutions in WME, MythTV, Apple, etc. which some on this forum already use.

Is it ready for primetime? My view is not yet. Should Sonos do something in this space. I would say a resounding YES, but only when the time (and the market, and the technology) is right and I'm not convinced that is now.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
If SONOS had a product that provided the same features for Video as they do for audio then yes I'd certainly consider it because of the quality and features of their current solution.

They don't, so I currently have a Buffalo LinkTheatre for streaming video (and photos, and audio ... but of course I don't use the latter!) In fact for non-HD media the (802.11g) wireless network in my home is sufficient to stream video despite what is said in the bbc article. Though I do now have HD media, so have moved to a wired setup for it.

For less than 150ukp, with an upscanning progressive DVD player included, these media players are almost commodity items already. The LinkTheatre is excellent, though don't necessarily take that as a recommendation as there may be better options available now - I haven't looked at the market place for a few months.
Hmm would I buy new and more hardware for video.... NO.

I like Sonos for what it is...

Maqybe a video Sonos would be nice.. but it would have to support my bell express viuew and shaw digital cable.., controll them all and send.... na.. WAY WAY too much trouble.. HOWEVER.....

If it could access my tivo and stream out my tivo shows to whatever tv in the house.. well that MIGHT be kewl.
Userlevel 2
Not really necessary, but it would be nice, as long as it does not compromise any of the music features or the development of features for the music system and controler. I don't need video on the controler, but to connect a screen to a ZP and and have an extra category to stream from my nas to the screen, yes, nice.
Userlevel 2
Not really necessary, but it would be nice, as long as it does not compromise any of the music features or the development of features for the music system and controler. I don't need video on the controler, but to connect a screen to a ZP and and have an extra category to stream from my nas to the screen, yes, nice.

LOL I think you have resuscitated this thread from the dead. I notice that my previous post in this thread was almost 2 years ago.

I have subsequently became interested in having a video system that works in a similar way to Sonos - i.e. all my DVDs on a NAS with the ability to stream to different rooms. The technology to do this is available, but varies in quality and result. The system I've chosen actually works pretty well.

One of the key features for audio playback on Sonos (multi-room synchronisation) just isn't necessary for video playback. However you can't stream good quality video (DVD quality or above) wirelessly. Wireless just isn't fast enough. I manage to stream DVD (but not HD) over a 200Mbps homeplug network. The system I have works well for video but pretty badly for audio.

I still don't believe this is an areas Sonos should divert any energy into at present.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Being able to see and manage photo albums would be great. Unlocking the huge amount of digital snaps we all have next to our mp3 files
Userlevel 2
Badge
I love my sonos and i love the potential multi room concept of both audio and video. Many of the posts (admittedly old) think it will compromise the current set up, where as I see it as something that was complement it perfectly..

If we assume all current ZPs and the bridge are audio only and then Sonos come out with a new AV bridge and AVZPs (which are a flat panel of various sizes, with a really good speaker/sound set up) that's capable of streaming/receiving audio and video and all controlled in the same way it would be a dream.

Id love to use my C200 controller and choose the satellite HDMI feed and send it to the 50" Sonos AVZP panel in the lounge and then grouping it with the 2nd bedroom AVZP (26") for the kids to watch the same as me or they could jump on their iphones and change their feed to YouTube or to something on the NAS.

Come on Sonos it could be the perfect home set up !
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
SONOS does music really well. Sometimes trying to change a business model leads to disaster. Keep making innovations but in music delivery not video.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I understand the hesitation for some but things have to evolve, or Sonos will end up very niche and eventual lose market share.

Where would Apple be if they stuck with just the computer, or google if it only did search etc. (I accept there are opposites too this part of the argument too 🙂 )

Bottom line is I trust Sonos to bring AV to their ZPs and to the masses and to do it well, they would never allow anything to affect their reputation/brand and quality of product.

But if I think about the iPod, it was first only music, then it added a display, then video and then a phone and it's still one of the best in many of those areas, but if I still want only music, I can buy the music only shuffle.

It has to come, and i'm convinced it will come and i just hope it's soon.
There are already systems on the market that do Audio, Video and Pictures in one unit - I have three of them in daily use.
The trouble is it does a poor job of Audio and an unreliable job of Pictures.
But the Video is good, so I use just that.

Next to these devices also sit Sonos units for Audio, with some cross-connections.

IMO, unless there is some major unique benefit that Sonos can bring, Sonos will be just another player in the market.
Userlevel 2
I truely cannot understand why any Sonos user would not want to have video streaming.

Video streaming would be the next logical step.
I am reading posts back from 2006, i would almost suggest that people who don't want video streaming are either people from competitive companies or people from Sonos that want to delay this due to the large impact of change.

Why on earth would you NOT want this?
The Sonos system is by far the best and easiest multiroom system, why would you want a separate system? Why??

People who say that, do they also use 10 different systems for playing music, radio, etc? i don't think so.

I cannot imagine anything better than choosing a movie from my ipad with the Sonos App and play it on my TV. And when i am in my bedroom i can play it there ... this would make Sonos the most allround system.

Right now you see many different systems coming, all of them are weak imitations of Sonos, but they develop faster so video streaming will be available asap. Check Apple TV2. This is a serious threat for Sonos.
The only thing is that Apple wants people to use external content and does not work with a NAS. This is the biggest advantage for Sonos right now.

I predict that adding video streaming is so important, that it would mean the difference between gaining new market or losing the game!
Sonos is a great concept right now, but new players are entering the scene and are offering more and more flexibility in their systems.

Have a look at Apple's Ipad and Samsung's version of teh Galaxy Tab.
Apple refuses to work with Flash.
Samsung embraches it and their market share is growing so fast.
Apple forgets that Flash is what people wantand need, flash has enriched our internet experiance.
Now samsung has build a tablet that looks very much like the ipad and makes flash possible they are taking the lead.

We don´t want 20 different machines at home to watch a movie or listen to music.
The way Sonos delt with this is fantastic. Now they should repack them selves and don´t wait any longer.

I am in this business too long to understand what will come and what is needed.
I still remember that the biggest recordlabels here in The Netherlands (2001) declared we were crazy to sell music over the internet, they could not find any businessmodel in that, and we saw it wrong according to them, this would never work...
A few years later Itunes did exactly what we had made up in a business plan!

The time is more than ripe, actually, it should have been there already.. it could even be to late too...