Answered

Using Samsung Smart-Touch Remote with Playbar

• 1 February 2016
  • 41 replies

I have a curved Smart-Touch remote for my Samsung TV and have gone through the Sonos setup process, but the Playbar does not recognize the volume button signals (I'm assuming this is due to RF signals??). The strange part is that when the TV is set to TV/arial source (not HDMI) the playbar volume works!? When I switch to my other sources the volume does not work.
If I configure the Playbar to work with the IR remote, everything works, but I'd much rather use the Smart-Touch remote.
Any clues as to how to best fix this? (I did not get a IR repeater with my TV, although it has the external connector for HDMI etc)

I have the Playbar connected via the optical port.

All help appreciated!
icon

Best answer by JWNten 27 July 2016, 02:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In my experience, the Samsung Smart remotes do not usually work. This is indeed due to the fact that they are predominantly void of I/R. What model of remote are you using?
On some of the SAMSUNG's you can setup their remote as if the TV was connecting through an A/V receiver. At this point the remote will directly emit IR for the receiver or there will be a SAMSUNG "dongle" that emits IR. PLAYBAR would then be trained to work with the phantom A/V receiver IR commands.
Userlevel 1
All, after spending quite some time on this, I found how to implement buzz's workaround in a satisfactory way (without losing any other controls). Hope this can help some people out. This applies to recent samsung TV's with smart remotes:
- go to settings, remote setup (on my TV, this means clicking the home button, going left then up until I'm on the remote icon, then pressing the center ok button)
- add a device, an AV receiver, select Bose
- for source, select optical
- once the device is created, if you're using a set-top box like I am, you can actually (in the remote setup menu) click the bose device, and combine it with the set-top box (so that the TV thinks both devices are in a serial connection). That way, it will allow you to control the set-top box as before, but will assign volume controls to Bose compatible IR.
- once this is all done, play the TV from the combined set-top box / bose source
- now in the Sonos app chose to change the remote and follow instructions. If it works you should see a white led in front of the Playbar everytime you change the sound up or down. Mute should work as well.

Worked for me, I now have full control!
All, after spending quite some time on this, I found how to implement buzz's workaround in a satisfactory way (without losing any other controls). Hope this can help some people out. This applies to recent samsung TV's with smart remotes:
- go to settings, remote setup (on my TV, this means clicking the home button, going left then up until I'm on the remote icon, then pressing the center ok button)
- add a device, an AV receiver, select Bose
- for source, select optical
- once the device is created, if you're using a set-top box like I am, you can actually (in the remote setup menu) click the bose device, and combine it with the set-top box (so that the TV thinks both devices are in a serial connection). That way, it will allow you to control the set-top box as before, but will assign volume controls to Bose compatible IR.
- once this is all done, play the TV from the combined set-top box / bose source
- now in the Sonos app chose to change the remote and follow instructions. If it works you should see a white led in front of the Playbar everytime you change the sound up or down. Mute should work as well.

Worked for me, I now have full control!

JWNten, you're the man! I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly for me. I would just add that after adding the "Bose" home theatre system, the TV will try and make sure you are able to control it. I was not actually able to using the Smart Remote, but I confirmed Yes anyway, so I could then go back and combine it with the TV, as you said. Was ready to scrap my Smart Remote and glad I don't have to, so thanks!
Thanks a lot guys. This worked and has saved me a little bit now I'm running into the problem where if I'm watching the Netflix app on the tv and I try to raise the volume I get kicked out to the last source I was playing.
It's vexing me so thought I'd ask what to do on this
I have a samsung KS8000 and had problems with connecting my sonos play bar. I don't have a cable box and get my tv instead from over the air broadcasts. At first I couldn't pair the remote with the sonos playbar, but eventually figured it out. Here's what I did.

- Go to the universal remote feature in the samsung home menu
- Add a device
- Search for a brand (since Sonos is not on the list)
- Type in Sonos and press enter
- Agree to the prompts as they come up, even though it doesn't seem like the remote is turning the playbar off/on
- Enjoy using your samsung smart remote now to control your playbar!
Select Bose or type in Sonos like someone else said and it works.
Userlevel 4
The "bose" trick works but as a result the Playbar no longer responds to regular Samsung IR remote controls.

Has anyone managed to it make work with both?
Is it possible to configure a Playbar to respond to more than one IR control type?
CONTROL SONOS PLAYBAR VOLUME WITH SAMSUNG SMART TV REMOTE with NO IR emitter (i have UN65KS8000 2016)

(disclaimer i think parts/all of this are scattered on various forums and websites, including by JWNten above, just below is super clear)

COMPLETE STEP-BY-STEP:

1) Do initial set up of Sonos playbar on your TV - i wont go thru it all here but I followed the Sonos (iphone) app instructions, resulting in everything working great easily EXCEPT my samsung remote would NOT control the playbar volume (even after the remote setup step in app - it would not recognize my samsung remote + - volume buttons)

2) on TV:
a. press HOME button
b. scroll left to SOURCE button (2nd from left, icon = arrow in a box)
c. navigate up to UNIVERSAL REMOTE
d. press NEW DEVICE
e. select HOME THEATER SYSTEM
f. select brand = BOSE (just do it even if you think its wrong)
g. select OPTICAL
h. press POWER TEST
i. press YES (it asks if your theater system turned on or off, it probably will NOT have but just press YES anyways)
j. press DONE
k. FYI now if you go click universal remote again you will see "Bose" set up. leave it alone but you need it for the next steps and overall process to work

3) Make sure TV source is set to "TV"
a note: i do NOT have a cable box, i have an antenna hooked up to coax
b. the steps after this and overall process did NOT work when i had TV source set to my chromecast, but DID work when it was set to "TV"
c. i'm not sure if it will work when set to cable box or whatever other inputs you may have, i just know it worked set to TV with a random over-air channel playing

4) In Sonos app (iphone) make the following selections:
a. HAMBURGER MENU (top left, icon with 3 bars)
b. SETTINGS (gear icon at bottom of list)
c. ROOM SETTINGS
d. select the room you have playbar/TV set up from step 1 in
e. TV SETUP AND CONTROL
f. (you can skip reading this step its just FYI - i left all options checked - this is what they all do: tv autoplay = auto switch from music to tv sound when tv turned on, ungroup on autoplay = leave music playing in other rooms when tv turned on if you have other rooms with sonos stuff, ir signal light = white light on front of sonos will light up when you change volume, ir repeater = if playbar is physically in front of and blocking tv ir somehow itll not block - note i tried having this on or off and itll control volume either way once set up)
g. REMOTE CONTROL SETUP
h. REPLACE CURRENT REMOTE
i. physically point remote at playbar and press volume up/down
j. maybe i was lucky but at this point, if you followed step 2 above, playbar and sonos will now recognize pressing volume up down on your samsung smart tv remote

Note: Samsung chat support claims it is not possible to remove the stupid volume icon that pops up every time you adjust the volume of an external speaker (they said it does it for samsung soundbars too) i suggested they should definitely remove it and they said theyd forward it up the chain (yea right)
a.
Userlevel 4
That'll work, but as a result it won't respond to volume up/down from the regular Samsung remotes.

I have a feature request in for the Playbar to accept more than one remote control type for volume up/down.
Yeah and now i think it sometimes blocks me from changing volume when smart tv apps are playing for some reason - with EITHER remote - what i posted above may need to be changed but i have to mess around with my setup more
Userlevel 4
That's correct. The smart remote is too smart for its own good. On my brand-new series 9, the TV decides what signals the smart remote will send, depending on what input you're watching. If it doesn't think your current input is playing via "Bose", nothing happens at all.
Do you or anyone on here know how i can get the smart remote to control the playbar volume on ALL inputs? or is that just impossible?
I cant believe how difficult this is.
Mainstream TV brand seemingly incompatible with mainstream soundbar...

And now its too late to edit that info into my first long post - apologies to anyone i mislead with that not stating that it will only control one stupid input...
It's possible let to control all of your inputs. Which inputs aren't working for you? You just have to add the 'bose' to each one of the inputs you use.
I have AT4 and a shield and I use it to watch normal TV too. I'll check my settings when I get home and update you on them.
It's possible let to control all of your inputs. Which inputs aren't working for you? You just have to add the 'bose' to each one of the inputs you use.
I have AT4 and a shield and I use it to watch normal TV too. I'll check my settings when I get home and update you on them.
But as you said it baffles me that this super expensive TV and this super expensive sound bar don't link yet they are both mainstream, either Samsung or Sonos needs to act on this farrout!!!
But as you said it baffles me that this super expensive TV and this super expensive sound bar don't link yet they are both mainstream, either Samsung or Sonos needs to act on this farrout!!!

Well now I got it to control the samsung blu ray player sound, except it will no longer control the function of the blu ray player (it did before)... thoughts?
Also it seems there is no way to control playbar volume with the TV remote when using a smart TV built in app once you set up control of volume for any other input...
I know it's gotta be frustrating. But I got it working, I'll be home in 2 hours and check how I have it set up, because I can control smart Tv apps as well as my other 2 inputs
Here's what I did, Under the universal remote delete everything you have and start afresh. Create a 'bose' home theatre. Then createe the different inputs you have and attach the Bose to those inputs.
Thanks 007M - didnt get time to try it tonight but i'll follow up in this with results - appreciate the help
Got the Samsung remote controlling playbar volume on all inputs (tv apps, Samsung blu ray, tv antenna, chromecast). Set up the playbar as home audio first, then set up each device as a different random brand then selected "use with home theater" to 'connect' them with the playbar.

My long instructions above are correct just you have to go thru and set up all the inputs per instructions, connect them to 'home audio' once set up, THEN do the sonos app part once they're all set up and connnected

Samsung support and sonos support both confirmed there is no way to remove the volume change icon that appears every time you adjust external speaker volume on any input with current software (Samsung's fault).

I probly wouldn't have spent so much on playbar if I had know how time consuming/ridiculous this would be.
Eloquently put! That's what I did and have it working.
I agree for what the sound bar costs and the TV, I probably should have just gone for a normal 5.1 setup, but I'll make the most out of it and ensure it sounds fantastic. Just thankfully I didn't get 2 play 1s for a 5.1 setup
This is true it does sound really great
the smart remote for Samsung ks range works via bluetooth, only on/off works in IR.
I'm having same problem as you guys.
my sky remote and standard Samsung remote both work play bar together but i do prefer the smart remote.
very frustrating.....
We both got it working with only playbar - you need to set up the home theater (playbar) on Samsung tv, the add each input you have named as one of the random brands Samsung TV lists, then select each input to work with home theater, then use Sonos app to learn it all over.