Answered

Using 2 Sonos Amps to create surround sound system

• 1 April 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge
I have purchased two Sonos amps, and front and rear sets of the new Sonance architectural speakers. I want to use them for surround sound in a theater room. I have a cable box, an Apple TV, and apps within the smart TV that will all act as possible video/audio sources.

What is the best way to configure so that the Sonos can provide surround from all of them?

Use a home theater controller, run the devices into it, and then the HDMI outputs of the home theater controller to the AMPS?

Or, possible to run both the cable box and Apple TV to different TV HDMI inputs, and then the TV audio signal to the Sonos?

Do the Amps have to be wired to ethernet to allow for surround sound (front and rear) with the Sonace architectural speakers?

I'm trying to find any guide published by Sonos on how to use 2 Amps to create 4.1 (virtual 5.1) surround. I got a verbal run through on the phone with them which was not in high detail.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 1 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have purchased two Sonos amps, and front and rear sets of the new Sonance architectural speakers. I want to use them for surround sound in a theater room. I have a cable box, an Apple TV, and apps within the smart TV that will all act as possible video/audio sources.

What is the best way to configure so that the Sonos can provide surround from all of them?

Use a home theater controller, run the devices into it, and then the HDMI outputs of the home theater controller to the AMPS?

Or, possible to run both the cable box and Apple TV to different TV HDMI inputs, and then the TV audio signal to the Sonos?

You should do the latter, assuming your TV is capable of generating and passing Dolby Digital 5.1 This is what Sonos is designed for and the only way you will get sound from your smart TV apps. Using the HDMI-ARC functionality if it's available on the TV.

Do the Amps have to be wired to ethernet to allow for surround sound (front and rear) with the Sonace architectural speakers?

No.

I'm trying to find any guide published by Sonos on how to use 2 Amps to create 4.1 (virtual 5.1) surround. I got a verbal run through on the phone with them which was not in high detail.

You'll setup the 1st amp (front) following the setup process with the amp. For the second amp (rear) follow instructions in the link.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

The article needs to be updated a bit, since it doesn't specifically say that you can use a Sonos amp for front speakers, but it is a supportted configuration.
Badge
Thank you Danny! Particularly confirming that they don't need to be hard wired for two Amps to function as front and rear in the surround set up. Everything I read form Sonos seemed to indicate the opposite, but perhaps old info tied to Connect Amps.
Correct, the Connect Amp DOES require a wired ethernet connection to your main front speakers, because it does not have 5Ghz wireless to communicate, only 2.4 Ghz (which is used for communicating with other Sonos rooms)
Badge
One more question. I was told that I only have to have one of the Sonos Amps that will be part of the surround system connected to the source, and the other should be able to act as the other channel once set up? Or, do the Amps need to be connected together, etc?
One more question. I was told that I only have to have one of the Sonos Amps that will be part of the surround system connected to the source, and the other should be able to act as the other channel once set up? Or, do the Amps need to be connected together, etc?

The amp you're using for the front speakers must be connected (HDMI-ARC or optical) to the source (usually TV). The other will not be connected to the source. The two amps do not need to be connected to each other, as they will communicate wirelessly.

Random side note : It would be really nice if you could connect the rear speakers amp to the source, with the front speaker sent wirelessly to the other amp. That would be a great option for projector sense. But alas, not possible.
Badge
Do you mean it’s not an option for Sonos to have the rears connected to the Amp that is connected to the source, and they require that the fronts be those tied to the source connected Amp?

Physically I can do either.
Do you mean it’s not an option for Sonos to have the rears connected to the Amp that is connected to the source, and they require that the fronts be those tied to the source connected Amp?

Physically I can do either.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

If it helps, you could compare the AMP running the front speakers to a Sonos Beam, Playbar or Playbase. 

This is what you connect to your tv and this will be your TV-zone or what you decide to call it. 

Once that is set up, you can add rear speakers and a subwoofer. The rear speakers can be another AMP, a set of Play:1’s, 5’s etc. Once paired as rear-speakers, these will not function as separate zones  

I just bought a similar setup for my new house, but it won’t be finished before January next year - so would love to hear your results once you have it up and running. 

I have a Sonos-sub I will be connecting as well. Will you also be adding that?