Answered

TV sound to my Play 3 as well?

• 18 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi!

I have a Playbar and two Play 3's. I am using the Playbar to listen to my TV sound but sometimes group all the speakers together and listen to music. I would like to make it so my Play 3 outputs the TV sound along with the Playbar.

Help appreciated

Neven
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 18 September 2018, 20:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Neven

I'll assume the Play 3's are named as a different room. If so just group them to the Play Bar when watching tv. You may experience a slight audio lag.

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi Neven

I'll assume the Play 3's are named as a different room. If so just group them to the Play Bar when watching tv. You may experience a slight audio lag.

Cheers!

Tnx. The play 3 were muted that I didn’t realize. I plan to put the play 3 behind my seating postion to listen to tv late at night. How do I deal with the lag?
Userlevel 7
Hi Neven

Cheers!

Tnx. The play 3 were muted that I didn’t realize. I plan to put the play 3 behind my seating postion to listen to tv late at night. How do I deal with the lag?

Hi Neven

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about lag assuming it does manifest itself in your situation which it may not.

As a tutorial:

Sonos for the most part operates on 2.4Ghz frequency as opposed to 5Ghz; however there is an exception (more on that later).

The 2.4Ghz is slower than 5Ghz but offers much longer range to penetrate walls and floors thus allowing for the fine synchronization of Sonos speakers. 5Ghz is faster but does not offer the long range of 2.4Ghz; therefore it would not be optimal for Sonos overall. Here's the exception...the Playbar/Playbase (and I would assume the Beam) use 5Ghz in a limited fashion when employed in an HT setup to send LFE to a Sonos sub and surround material to Sonos Play 1's Play 3's, Play 5's and Sonos One's.The result is no lag...at least none that can be discerned by the listener; unless you're part canine :D

So why the lag between a Playbar/Playbase to a Play 3 when grouped for TV audio? The Playbar/Playbase receive audio over toslink (optical) cable which for all practical purposes is an instantaneous transmission from the TV. When grouping other Sonos speakers to a Playbar/Playbase the audio to those is handled over the slower 2.4Ghz thus creating lag in some senarios. Your situation may be different and lag may be unnoticeable as they (Play 3's) will be in close proximity to the playbar. Not to keep adding negatives but if lag is present you may also notice what is called "stadium effect" in the listening environment.

All said let's keep our fingers X that you do not experience any of what has been put forth. Good luck and enjoy your Sonos!

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thanks for the detailed explanation. First testing reveal almost no lag. Eventualy, when I move one of the Play 3's behind my seating position, this will be very convinient at night. All in all I am impressed with the overall quality. And I did not truplay tune the Playbar.

Neven