TV remote for grouped devices issue

Userlevel 2
When I group a Connect AMP and Playbar (which is connected to a TV), I can't control the volume using the TV's remote as a group, it only adjusts the volume of the play bar. This means I have to reset the balance of the speakers within the group everytime someone adjusts the volume using the TV remote. This is a real pain. Is there a way the group volume can be controlled by the TV remote?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

77 replies

Userlevel 3
I have read this thread....and my comments are...I have a SONOS playbar, bridge, sub, and 2 play 1 speakers....the sub and playbar are next to the TV (65" Panasonic 4K HDTV) and the 2 play 1 speakers are in the back of the room......you need to add a software fix so that the TV remote will control the 2 play 1 speakers when they are paired with the playbar....I don't want 5.1 sound...what I want is for the same sound to come out of the rear speakers that come out of the playbar....and I can't do this... you need to work on a fix..we ALL should have a CHOICE as to how we want our systems set up...and for $2000.00 that we paid this should have been done already.
Think the idea to add the option is fine, but to have a go at Sonos because it is not included already is a bit odd.
A comparison would be, I buying a new Ferrari and then complaining it's not designed to go off-road or rock-hopping.
You can't complain that the software doesn't what you want it to do if it was never designed to do it in the first place. If they had removed functionality/features during a software update, then we should rightfully complain
I have read this thread....and my comments are...I have a SONOS playbar, bridge, sub, and 2 play 1 speakers....the sub and playbar are next to the TV (65" Panasonic 4K HDTV) and the 2 play 1 speakers are in the back of the room......you need to add a software fix so that the TV remote will control the 2 play 1 speakers when they are paired with the playbar....I don't want 5.1 sound...what I want is for the same sound to come out of the rear speakers that come out of the playbar....and I can't do this... you need to work on a fix..we ALL should have a CHOICE as to how we want our systems set up...and for $2000.00 that we paid this should have been done already.
does the music play back full mode not achieve this?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1959/kw/play:1/related/1
Userlevel 2
Come on Sonos, how long do we have to wait for this? Surely there are enough people asking for it.
When playing music, the tv remote does not control playbar or bonded speaker volume. You have to use a Sonos controller. In addition, full does not apply to TV input via the optical port.
+1 here. There should be an option to control all speakers in TV mode using the TV controller. Any one not liking this preference should be able to opt out. Simple, no? I say it is a design flaw that diminishes the value of the product. I cannot recommend SONOS to anyone until this is sorted out.
+1
I've just recently bought a Playbar and I use it grouped with a Connect amp that has subwoofer.
I'm very pleased with the sound, but having to use the Sonos app to control volume of the group instead of the TV remote is annoying.
Please give us the option to control group volume with the TV remote.
+100 I love the Sonos sound but there are a few configuration designs that do not make any sense at all, including this one. Since I have my playbar, sub, and play3's grouped together, I expect the volume to handle the entire group. It's ridiculous that the volume changes only part of the group! What's the status Sonos? Your users have been asking for a year now. Where's your answer?
Sonos, first things first. Brilliant.

Just purchased the sounds bar and Bridge to add on to two existing play 1's creating 5.1 surround... 

However it turns out 5.1 isn't a good option for my neighbours.

I live in a terrace house and I require to bring the same sound from the sound bar to the rear speakers.  Done, Grouped and brilliant, exactly the sound I Require. (After working out the Audio Delay!)

I agree with this thread, as a group there should be a option to control all volume as Master from the tv remote.

As for a previous thread from Jgatie

"(  I would never group ceiling speakers with my Playbar within hearing distance of each other because 5.1 directional sound would be ruined with some of the voices coming from another room) "

I WANT TO GROUP MY SPEAKERS....

Still 10/10 for effort,  My poor Yamaha system has become a classic!... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ben - as a reminder.  If the reason you unpairded the Play:1's and added them back grouped is because music didn't play in full stereo ... there is option to make the paired speakers full when playing music.

If this is the case - go back to having them setup as 5.1.  Go under room settings and set surrounds to Full from Ambient.  Then TV will be 5.1 and any Sonos music you play the rears will play in full stereo just like they do when grouped (and volume control will control them as well).
Chris, for playing music I had located the option to for full ambient. It's the tv I would like in full ambient so I can have the sound nearer my ears therefore loader to myself but not to my neighbours, and indeed family upstairs. Is this something that may be considered for updates? Regards Ben
Chris, for playing music I had located the option to for full ambient. It's the tv I would like in full ambient so I can have the sound nearer my ears therefore loader to myself but not to my neighbours, and indeed family upstairs. Is this something that may be considered for updates? Regards Ben
+1
I've also recently bought a Playbar/Sub/2x Play:1s and I use it grouped with an extra pair of Play:1's .
Sound is great, but having to use the Sonos app to control volume of the group instead of the TV remote is a deal breaker.  I am thinking about returning the 2 extra Play:1's I bought to compliment the front L and R.  Sonos, Please Please give us the option to control GROUP volume with the TV remote.
YES YOUSUF!!!

We need the ability to control group volume with remote as opposed to only controlling playbar volume.
Userlevel 2
I have the playbar+sub+pair of play 1's Dolby 5.1 setup. I decided to buy another pair of play 1 and created another room with them in stereo configuration. I placed them at the front of my room and grouped the two rooms. After some tinkering with the playbars lip sync settings I got this configuration sounding great. Especially after I put all my components through my Xbox one, and out via its optical out to the playbar to give me real Dolby 5.1. However I'm having this same TV remote issue. The second room in my group won't volume adjust until I grab my cell phone and adjust the entire groups volume with the sonos app. This shouldn't be a difficult fix. I'm surprised it's taken sonos this long.
Something very weird happened.  By some sort of glitch (I guess), I was able to control ALL GROUPS via my TV remote.  I'm not sure what happened.  I took it for granted, and after unplugging/replugging my sonos speakers to re-arrange them in my room, it is no longer working.  So, I know for a fact that SONOS can get this to work, because I was able to (for a couple days) control my entire GROUP (playbar/sub/ 4 play:1's) with the TV remote.  Now its not working.  SONOS, come on help us out here!
Userlevel 2
Something very weird happened.  By some sort of glitch (I guess), I was able to control ALL GROUPS via my TV remote.  I'm not sure what happened.  I took it for granted, and after unplugging/replugging my sonos speakers to re-arrange them in my room, it is no longer working.  So, I know for a fact that SONOS can get this to work, because I was able to (for a couple days) control my entire GROUP (playbar/sub/ 4 play:1's) with the TV remote.  Now its not working.  SONOS, come on help us out here!

How do you like the wider sound stage that your second pair of play 1 gave you? After I eliminated the echo effect by adjusting the play bars lip sync Ijust love it!

The wider sound stage is a must!  Playbar is good by itself, but for a wider room it is essential to compliment it with a second pair for Play:1s.   After adjusting for the lip sync delay (which you also pointed out), the sound is totally awesome.  Now if only we could control it with the TV remote.
Userlevel 2

I hear you. It sucks when the phone rings or something and you still have the extra play 1's blaring away after you've muted the rest with your tv remote. I'm considering adding a pair of play 5's to this configuration to achieve an even fuller sound, but until this volume control problem is rectified I'm going to wait.
Userlevel 1
Badge
For me, I am also using the pair of Play3 in the back as full surround speaker, not as part of the 5.1 setup.
I just prefer the wider soundstage, instead of the mostly simulated 5.1 from the DD 2.0 sound (yes, I am using an HDMI split with digital output, totaly not using the fake stero upmix, no worries).

I would just love to have a feature like the music full surround for tv! That small delay is absolutely fine! Sonos could just add that feature with a small hint that there an almost not noticeable delay and VOILA theres the ability to control it via the soundbar. AND EVERYONES FINE AND HAPPY.

PLEASE SONOS. My apartment is filled with Sonos Components, and this is the only feature I am missing for soooo long!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
The problem here is grouped is different to bonded, if you have play 1's or 3's for SS with your playbar they are bonded. Adding a stereo pair and grouping them is not the same as bonding and each groups volume can be adjusted independently. The same applies to stereo pairs, when you adjust volume on one the other turns up to match. Maybe a request for bonded groups would be a better title so that way if you had four play 3's you could set two + two as stereo pairs and bond them to have four play 3's.
Dave, I agree- however Sonos wants to do it logistically, I am on board.  I think there just needs to be an option to either control the group with a tv remote, or be able to BOND an extra pair with the playbar/play1/sub system.
Userlevel 2
The problem here is grouped is different to bonded, if you have play 1's or 3's for SS with your playbar they are bonded. Adding a stereo pair and grouping them is not the same as bonding and each groups volume can be adjusted independently. The same applies to stereo pairs, when you adjust volume on one the other turns up to match. Maybe a request for bonded groups would be a better title so that way if you had four play 3's you could set two + two as stereo pairs and bond them to have four play 3's.
As far as I'm aware, you can't bond some components together. So as long as you can control a group of components regardless, with the playable TV remote, I don't particularly care how its done. This has been out there for so long now. Why don't Sonos do something about this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
For me, I am also using the pair of Play3 in the back as full surround speaker, not as part of the 5.1 setup.
I just prefer the wider soundstage, instead of the mostly simulated 5.1 from the DD 2.0 sound (yes, I am using an HDMI split with digital output, totaly not using the fake stero upmix, no worries).

I would just love to have a feature like the music full surround for tv! That small delay is absolutely fine! Sonos could just add that feature with a small hint that there an almost not noticeable delay and VOILA theres the ability to control it via the soundbar. AND EVERYONES FINE AND HAPPY.

PLEASE SONOS. My apartment is filled with Sonos Components, and this is the only feature I am missing for soooo long!

please add your support here for Full surround when TV is the music source
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/full-stereo-option-when-watching-tv-audio-please

when Tv is the source (or anything else via the optical input of the playbar), the user should have the choice to switch to full audio from all speakers in the same way they can with music.  Its asked to add an extra button along with Speech Enhancement and Night Mode.
Userlevel 2

With all due respect NickA, what you are asking for is different to this. Your idea should be able to solicit its own support without you having to link to other requests.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With all due respect User128884, this poster, agoraphobia, has said they he/she is using his/her Play 3s grouped but unbonded from his Playbar because there is no option to output TV audio to all speakers in bonded 5.1 configuration simultaneously (aka 'Full Surround').  I have pointed them to an 'Idea' which will do exactly what he/she is asking.  Yes, I am aware it is not what is being asked in 'your' Idea but I am trying to be helpful to the user and direct them to a related playbar idea elsewhere on this forum which would solve the problem they have identified.

If I see someone post in a different Playbar topic something about using the TV remote to control the volume of all grouped speakers, should I direct them to vote on your idea ??  Ill think twice now.

This is a user community where both Sonos employees and other users try to help each other out and move the products and software forward to the benefit of all.