Truplay with newer iphones causing dialog issues?

• 21 December 2020
  • 15 replies

In a 30 minute video Peter Pee over on YouTube compared the iPhone 6,7,11, SE2, 12Pro & 12Mini in a somewhat standardized Trueplay method.  The frequency response results are all very different, offering a different sound depending on the device used.

I am wondering if some of the newer dialog issues reported by Arc owners could be linked to the device they used during Trueplay.  Some users here have reported that turning Trueplay off gives them back some midrange, vocals or brings the Arc back to life.  This video could show why that is for some.

TL;DR the iPhone SE2 & 12 Mini offer the most desirable Trueplay results. The disappointing 12pro results are shown the 22:00 mark. by showing the frequency response from the Arc by itself, no sub, no surrounds. Before in the grey line, blue being the 12Pro.

What device are you using? Let me know how the tuning works out for you. I added this to home theater as this involves the Sonos Arc. Links are in bold. 

Is iPhone 12 the best Trueplay device?

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Just goes to show you that Sonos’ way of doing TruePlay doesn’t work. Their whole point of having it avail on iOS only is “all the mics are the same”. Well if using different generation of phones results in a different response curve then their method for room correction isn’t right. That doesn’t even count the fact that people use their phones and who knows what is in the mic….pocket lint….lip stick … dirt….ect.

Heck…. anytime I try to use truplay it skews my surrounds always making the right one louder.

This is one area that BOSE was better. With their 700 soundbar they included a mic that you wore on your head and plugged into the soundbar via 3.5….you looked dumb but at least there were no variables….

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just goes to show you that Sonos’ way of doing TruePlay doesn’t work. Their whole point of having it avail on iOS only is “all the mics are the same”. Well if using different generation of phones results in a different response curve then their method for room correction isn’t right. That doesn’t even count the fact that people use their phones and who knows what is in the mic….pocket lint….lip stick … dirt….ect.

Heck…. anytime I try to use truplay it skews my surrounds always making the right one louder.

This is one area that BOSE was better. With their 700 soundbar they included a mic that you wore on your head and plugged into the soundbar via 3.5….you looked dumb but at least there were no variables….

This was my suggestions also, include (or sell on the side if money is tight....) a standardized mic that you can plug into the phone, to eliminate these differences.... 

I used to own a onkyo receiver with audessy roomEq, same thing with the mic with long 3.5" jack

What are poor Android users to do.  If I turn off TruePlay, what is totally unacceptable with it on, is complete garbage with it off.

This was my suggestions also, include (or sell on the side if money is tight....) a standardized mic that you can plug into the phone, to eliminate these differences.... 

I used to own a onkyo receiver with audessy roomEq, same thing with the mic with long 3.5" jack

Agreed.  It’s rare I’d ask a company to sell me one more product that should be in the box, but this is one of those moments. Sonos, sell us a standardized mic. Offer a lightning and USB-C plug versions to cover most modern users. Or a 3.5mm and offer dongles if you must.. Please?

I am using the Ipad Air2 which has been taken care of well (never even left the house), so I know its mic system is in tip top shape.  The results from this model Ipad have worked great for me, though I am curious how the sweep would map out on a graph. I feel for the users of the models in this video that did not do too well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Their whole point of having it avail on iOS only is “all the mics are the same”. Well if using different generation of phones results in a different response curve then their method for room correction isn’t right.

I think the reason for only having Trueplay on iOS is that “all the lics are the same”, but rather that there are not that many mics used and that it is easier to learn and standardise their settings. If in fact different mics lead to different Trueplay results, Sonos must have made a mistake in their room correction settings, in that i would agree with you.

After TruePlay tuning a room, the penultimate screen in the App says this (see attached screenshot).

So whilst a room is initially tuned, it appears afterwards, that some additional clarity emerges with more audio played to the room.

So maybe an initial room tuning result is not the best way for PP to measure the actual results mentioned here, but is a base-point from which real tuning emerges? ...just as a thought🤔?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So the result will differ over time? That seems strange to me. I think this comment by Sonos is more about what is perceived by your ears at first and later, than about Truepay adjusting itself over time. How would it do that without microphones?

So the result will differ over time? That seems strange to me. I think this comment by Sonos is more about what is perceived by your ears at first and later, than about Truepay adjusting itself over time. How would it do that without microphones?

I feel like you are correct, but also the speakers will “break in” over time. Offering the sound they were deigned for.  New speakers, of all shapes, sizes and styles will have their sound abilities changed over enough usage.  This is a great thing for subwoofers and midrange speakers especially. The changes are measurable / quantifiable with the correct equipment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But this Sonos message will come up after each Trueplay, will it not? Even if you Trueplay older devices that have been broken in years ago?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Are people still getting this issue, I have just tru played with an iPhone 12 mini and it seems to of sucked the mid range from the ARC, sounds very tinny at the moment.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I find different iPhones produce almost identical results.

The problem seems to have started once the iPhone added water-resistance with the iPhone 7. All of the supported models released before that give good calibrations. 

Odd. Never had an issue with the calibration using my iPhone X. 

Just posting a theory…

Are you using the Arc? I’m talking specifically about the Arc. The iPhone 11 seemed to work fine with my One SL.