TRUEPLAY ANDROID Legality

• 22 October 2022
  • 58 replies

Userlevel 3

I am absolutely shocked after spending £1500 on SONOS home cinema speakers to find that unless you own an Apple Iphone or Ipad you cannot calibrate the system using their Trueplay. 
After reaching out to Sonos and being told “Borrow one from a friend” are you being serious?
How about you make your product calibrate without needing a £600 Apple Product?
Because I am an Android user, as well as all my friends, my system is technically restricted on its performance. 
I would love to know the legality of this. Restricting a products performance dependant on what 3rd party companies technology you own?
Maybe SONOS can send a rep to my house, so I can borrow their APPLE device to calibrate Trueplay, to make their product work as intended. 
Shocking business practice. 😤

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Badge

What I see is techno snobbery bordering on discrimination in many of these Sonos posts.  Next I expect to see “if you can afford these expensive speakers then you should be able to afford the latest $1k iPhone or iPad for full-feature access.”  

I’ve seen nothing in the replies which even hints at this.  Matter of fact, my reply states quite clearly that I myself am not an Apple aficionado, and I own Android products. 

All I am saying is that consumers should be informed of any limitations of the app on different platforms so they can make educated decisions on whether or not the product is right for them.  A “not all features may be availabe on Android devices” note on the packaging isn’t too much to ask for someone considering purchasing this product.  Evidently the capabilities of the streaming device is determined by the Sonos app.  If the device does not meet Sonos’ requirements for all available functions then the app should not install on that particular hardware.

“All available functions”?  Now it’s my turn to say “Seriously?”  How many complaints do you think you are going to get when more half the world’s population are cut off from operating the worlds most popular multi-room wireless music system because Android lacks a single feature which iOS has? 

And by the way, until the latest announcement, the Android app could stream from local music and the iOS app could not.  According to you, that means neither app should load on either phone.  Which is patently absurd. 

Rethink your stance, man.  You are embarrassing yourself here. 

That’s your opinion and obviously you are not interested in transparency - a rare commodity in today’s world.  Do you think Sonos did not know that Android is the most popular phone OS and decided to obscure the fact that the tuning feature is only available on Apple products? Regardless of platform/OS there should be no fragmentation or limitations placed on the consumer.  I will always be advocating for the little guy and not wealthy corporations.  Keep on smoking whatever it is that makes you happy in your world.

Badge

I’m calling for transparency but you are obviously more interested in defending wealthy corporations instead of helping consumers to be more informed.

That’s your opinion and obviously you are not interested in transparency - a rare commodity in today’s world.  Do you think Sonos did not know that Android is the most popular phone OS and decided to obscure the fact that the tuning feature is only available on Apple products? Regardless of platform/OS there should be no fragmentation or limitations placed on the consumer.  I will always be advocating for the little guy and not wealthy corporations.  Keep on smoking whatever it is that makes you happy in your world.

But they didn’t “obscure the fact”.  They list it very prominently in their support section of Frequently Asked Questions. 

And I’m very interested in transparency.  Matter of fact I research my expensive purchases very thoroughly.  Far more thoroughly than what it takes to do a Google search on a particular feature and receive a detailed list of the requirements for that feature in the very first Google result I get.  

What I don’t do is expect details like that to be on the packaging, because I realize packaging is far more geared towards marketing than it is towards answering any in-depth consumer research.  Not a very tough concept to grasp.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So, @SonosFool, the only research you expect a buyer to do is to read the info on the package - which they probably won’t see until the item has been purchased? No reason to look on the website to get any details; no need to look at the specification when comparing products from different manufacturers. Just hand over your money and then read what’s printed on the box. 

That seems rather unsatisfactory to me!

So, @SonosFool, the only research you expect a buyer to do is to read the info on the package - which they probably won’t see until the item has been purchased? No reason to look on the website to get any details; no need to look at the specification when comparing products from different manufacturers. Just hand over your money and then read what’s printed on the box. 

That seems rather unsatisfactory to me!

Not to mention one can easily find out about the missing feature within the generous return period and send the unit back to the manufacturer if by chance there is no mention of any issues on the packaging.  Posters should be required to answer why they didn’t return the item if that one feature is such a deal breaker.

Since you seem to like that word “seriously” may I suggest you “seriously” think about a product with features that are only available to a select collection of the population with certain third party devices to control them.  If the device running Sonos’ own application cannot use all of the features of its product then that is a deficiency that needs to be corrected.  I “seriously” doubt anyone would purchase a car under the same conditions.

Any streaming service will have different audio capabilities depending on the device they are played on.  Likewise, a video source will have certain video and audio capabilities that can only be played on TVs/projectors and sound systems that are capable of producing these formats.  Your router may be capable of certain speeds, but you’ll only see those speeds if you have an internet service and devices with radios capable of those speeds.  your phone may be 5G, but not with a 5G network.  Many automobiles with self driving capabilities will only work on certain roads.  Many of Apple’s products and features only work with other Apple products.  many smart  home devices only work certain controller apps and hubs, the entire reason why the Matter standard is created.

I would agree with your erroneous assertions if Sonos provided their own controlling device that offered access to all the features of its speakers with the option for owners to use third party controllers that may not allow access to all available features.  The packaging should make clear that all functions or features may not be available to users of non-iOS devices.  I also have iOS and Android devices and I prefer the tuned sound of these speakers.

Let’s look at this differently.  Can you produce an image of Sonos packaging where they state Trueplay tuning as a feature and don’t mention that it’s only available on iOS devices?  I honestly don’t think Trueplay is even mentioned on product packaging.  It obviously is mentioned on the Sonos website, and they do specify it’s for iOS only.

And to get clarification, is your argument that Sonos shouldn’t offer any features if they can’t be provided for all android and iOS users, or that they can do this but they have to go further in making sure people are aware of what features are available on certain devices?

What I see is techno snobbery bordering on discrimination in many of these Sonos posts.  Next I expect to see “if you can afford these expensive speakers then you should be able to afford the latest $1k iPhone or iPad for full-feature access.” 

All I see is virtue signaling and strawman arguments.  You’re complaining about something that isn’t an actual problem for you since you own iOS devices and have to make up quotes to demonstrate snobbery since you can’t quote something that’s actual snobbery.

All I am saying is that consumers should be informed of any limitations of the app on different platforms so they can make educated decisions on whether or not the product is right for them.  

I asked you to produce packaging where the Trueplay feature is mentioned but limitation to iOS is not.  You haven’t produced anything.  Can you find any Sonos documentation at all that statues Trueplay tuning as a feature and fails to mention it’s limitation?

A “not all features may be availabe on Android devices” note on the packaging isn’t too much to ask for someone considering purchasing this product.

You would have to make the same statement about iOS, PC, Macs as well.  I don’t really care either way, I just can’t see a blanket statement like that making much difference.  Worth noting as well that Sonos, like any other software company that doesn’t charge for the consumer for a license, reserves the right to remove or add features as they see fit.

Evidently the capabilities of the streaming device is determined by the Sonos app.  If the device does not meet Sonos’ requirements for all available functions then the app should not install on that particular hardware.

That would be my definition of techno snobbery.  If you can’t give it to all that no body gets it.   

For others, in case it’s not clear, once trueplay tuning is set, you don’t need to continue using the iOS app for control of your speakers in order to retain the trueplay tuning. The tuning is stored on the device itself, not on the iOS controller.

Badge

The idea that he is missing is that android is an os on many manufacturers phones/devices, IOS is only on apple products much more consistent hardware/software integration. And/or he is an idiot…. most likely he is  a tool and a fool and tends to drool...and probably a troll

In the circle of SONOS users that I encounter, virtually all use iPhone/iPad controllers. Obviously this is not a proper scientific survey, but I suspect that it represents the wider SONOS community. If I’m out and about on planes, trains, buses, and the streets, it’s mostly Android phones. A dynamic could be that iPhone/iPad and SONOS are both premium products and are commonly paired. The legions of Android users that I see out and about are not premium product users. There is a high end university nearby. If I walk through campus, the iPhone/iPad vs Android ratio shifts away from Android. I don’t want my comments to turn into some sort of class war. I have tech savvy friends, also SONOS users, who would be insulted, maybe even abusive, if someone attempted to give them an Apple device.

SONOS has hard data about their user base, we only have a few cries and shouts. From my seat it simply seems that SONOS saw an opportunity to give their significant Apple user base a great, free new feature.

Overall, I prefer using a desktop controller with my SONOS system, and while I’m in the small minority, I’m sad, not mad.