TRUEPLAY ANDROID Legality

• 22 October 2022
  • 58 replies

Userlevel 3

I am absolutely shocked after spending £1500 on SONOS home cinema speakers to find that unless you own an Apple Iphone or Ipad you cannot calibrate the system using their Trueplay. 
After reaching out to Sonos and being told “Borrow one from a friend” are you being serious?
How about you make your product calibrate without needing a £600 Apple Product?
Because I am an Android user, as well as all my friends, my system is technically restricted on its performance. 
I would love to know the legality of this. Restricting a products performance dependant on what 3rd party companies technology you own?
Maybe SONOS can send a rep to my house, so I can borrow their APPLE device to calibrate Trueplay, to make their product work as intended. 
Shocking business practice. 😤

58 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The Move and Roam do have auto Trueplay and according the rumour so will the Otimo https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/24/23319989/sonos-optimo-speaker-features-design so it could be coming.  

However, auto Truplay is not a generic tool. Only the speaker running auto Trueplay is equalized.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Another thought strikes me. If Android phone manufacturer X gave assurances to Sonos of a consistent supply of microphone for their phones and (maybe) some development funds for initial and future phone/mic versions, could Sonos say “Trueplay now available on Android“? Other manufacturers and owners of other phones would be rather upset! It might even make the situation worse than it is now. 

Userlevel 3

Another thought strikes me. If Android phone manufacturer X gave assurances to Sonos of a consistent supply of microphone for their phones and (maybe) some development funds for initial and future phone/mic versions, could Sonos say “Trueplay now available on Android“? Other manufacturers and owners of other phones would be rather upset! It might even make the situation worse than it is now. 

Why the hell do you need a Phone to calibrate a Sonos system in the first place.

I have owned Denon, Marantz, Panasonic, Bose systems, and none of them require a phone or a 3rd party piece of technology to calibrate their devices. 

Userlevel 7

Why the hell do you need a Phone to calibrate a Sonos system in the first place.

I have owned Denon, Marantz, Panasonic, Bose systems, and none of them require a phone or a 3rd party piece of technology to calibrate their devices. 

Then sell your Sonos and go with one of the others if you are so unhappy. It has always been the case that you require a compatible iOS device to run Trueplay. If you had done your research prior to purchasing your Sonos system you would have realised this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Why the hell do you need a Phone to calibrate a Sonos system in the first place.

Then sell your Sonos and go with one of the others if you are so unhappy. It has always been the case that you require a compatible iOS device to run Trueplay. If you had done your research prior to purchasing your Sonos system you would have realised this.

How did Sonos force you to buy their kit in the first place, @Woody250? And then to upgrade to the multi cinema systems you now own? 

Surely you liked the sound of the kit before you bought? Did you buy from Sonos on the home-trial option? Or heard them play in a retailer? You liked the sound, you paid your money, you liked it enough to buy more kit. What has changed? 

I shall contribute no more to this topic, you’ll no doubt be happy to hear. But I shall continue to read future posts - they are very entertaining. I genuinely do hope you are able to resolve your concerns, but I doubt that any legal action will be the way forwards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Woody250 Even worse - they require an OEM piece, that frequently gets lost. Everybody owns a phone these days, so the idea to use that is very smart. The limitation to iPhones is unfortunate but understandable - and widely published. Do you really not know anyone that owns an iPhone or iPad?

The examples of these products that I’ve seen all use a wired microphone and the wire is usually too short -- especially if the product is hidden away in a cabinet or closet.

Also, it is not possible to effectively characterize the room by measuring at a single point. The SONOS scheme requires that the iOS device walks the room. If you think through the process a little, this “walk” implies that Trueplay works with the iOS inertial sensors in order to get a sense of position as Trueplay maps out the room’s acoustics. I don’t know if cheap Android devices would have the required sensors and the sensor technology would likely vary from model to model, complicating the task of developing the App.. We’d likely have a flush of complaints that “Trueplay does not work on my XYZ Android tablet”. It’s already somewhat of a problem simply running the SONOS controller on cheap Android tablets and old iOS devices using an ancient (not updatable) operating system that is not capable of running the controller.

@Woody250 The limitation to iPhones is unfortunate but understandable - and widely published. Do you really not know anyone that owns an iPhone or iPad?

This is both a good statement of the problem and a good solution to it.

Badge

I have to agree with you. I have had several run-ins with Sonos since I purchased their speakers (1 & 3 units), most having to do with the app and speaker operating system compatibility or incompatibility due to speaker and phone OS updates. It was never clear on the retail packaging that an iOS device is required to tune the speaker to its operating environment. They really should be sued for not supporting Truplay on every device or platform that their own app runs on. There are quite a few iEverything snobs responding to this post and one or two who claim they are Android users only and like the way their speakers sound without ever having heard one tuned to a specific room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So when buying expensive speakers you have no responsibility at all to check if features that are important to you will work on your chosen OS? See the Sonos website: this is not a secret.

Not sure what run isn you had with Sonos, but why would you hold them accountable for updates on your phone OS?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I am an Android phone user and before I started buying my Sonos system early last year, I was fully aware that I needed an iOS device to use Trueplay. I do have family members near by that I could borrow from, but I decided to buy a cheap (ISH) second hand iPad to use instead. It works out well as I can re-do Trueplay when I want. Any online review usually states the iOS limitations with Trueplay. 

I have to agree with you. I have had several run-ins with Sonos since I purchased their speakers (1 & 3 units), most having to do with the app and speaker operating system compatibility or incompatibility due to speaker and phone OS updates. It was never clear on the retail packaging that an iOS device is required to tune the speaker to its operating environment. They really should be sued for not supporting Truplay on every device or platform that their own app runs on. There are quite a few iEverything snobs responding to this post and one or two who claim they are Android users only and like the way their speakers sound without ever having heard one tuned to a specific room.

I suggest you call a lawyer before making threats to sue.  It will be an eye opening experience, I assure you.  And I hate Apple with every fiber of my being, so no, not an “iEverything snob”.

Your argument is that a device needs to fully explain all features and limitations on the retail packaging or they can be sued for false advertising?  Seriously?  Consider for a moment how impractical that is and how pretty much every modern product containing software/firmware could be sued. 

Trueplay tuning is not a required operate the speaker.  The speaker works fine without tuning.  I have both android and apple devices and have found that in some cases, I prefer the room untuned.  The idea that Sonos cannot implement a feature unless they support it on every android, iOS or any other device that can be used as a Sonos controller is completely illogical.  Sonos does not control these 3rd party device and has no say in their features and limitations, currently or in the future. 

In a more general sense, the original OPs idea that Sonos speakers shouldn’t be dependent on other 3rd party products is crazy.  Sonos needs wifi, internet access, streaming services, controlling devices, audio input sources, bluetooth sources, etc...depending on what features you want to use.  And it’s certainly not unique to Sonos.  

Badge

Since you seem to like that word “seriously” may I suggest you “seriously” think about a product with features that are only available to a select collection of the population with certain third party devices to control them.  If the device running Sonos’ own application cannot use all of the features of its product then that is a deficiency that needs to be corrected.  I “seriously” doubt anyone would purchase a car under the same conditions.

I would agree with your erroneous assertions if Sonos provided their own controlling device that offered access to all the features of its speakers with the option for owners to use third party controllers that may not allow access to all available features.  The packaging should make clear that all functions or features may not be available to users of non-iOS devices.  I also have iOS and Android devices and I prefer the tuned sound of these speakers.

Since you seem to like that word “seriously” may I suggest you “seriously” think about a product with features that are only available to a select collection of the population with certain third party devices to control them.  If the device running Sonos’ own application cannot use all of the features of its product then that is a deficiency that needs to be corrected.  I “seriously” doubt anyone would purchase a car under the same conditions.

Any streaming service will have different audio capabilities depending on the device they are played on.  Likewise, a video source will have certain video and audio capabilities that can only be played on TVs/projectors and sound systems that are capable of producing these formats.  Your router may be capable of certain speeds, but you’ll only see those speeds if you have an internet service and devices with radios capable of those speeds.  your phone may be 5G, but not with a 5G network.  Many automobiles with self driving capabilities will only work on certain roads.  Many of Apple’s products and features only work with other Apple products.  many smart  home devices only work certain controller apps and hubs, the entire reason why the Matter standard is created.

I would agree with your erroneous assertions if Sonos provided their own controlling device that offered access to all the features of its speakers with the option for owners to use third party controllers that may not allow access to all available features.  The packaging should make clear that all functions or features may not be available to users of non-iOS devices.  I also have iOS and Android devices and I prefer the tuned sound of these speakers.

Let’s look at this differently.  Can you produce an image of Sonos packaging where they state Trueplay tuning as a feature and don’t mention that it’s only available on iOS devices?  I honestly don’t think Trueplay is even mentioned on product packaging.  It obviously is mentioned on the Sonos website, and they do specify it’s for iOS only.

And to get clarification, is your argument that Sonos shouldn’t offer any features if they can’t be provided for all android and iOS users, or that they can do this but they have to go further in making sure people are aware of what features are available on certain devices?

Good grief, do we have to list every app/function/feature which is available via iOS and not Android (and vice versa) to show you how foolish this is, because if we do, we will be here all day. 

“My Android doesn’t allow me to initiate calls in Facetime, I think I’ll sue Google!” 

“I can’t use my Android keyboard on iOS, time to sue Apple!”

Badge

Good grief, do we have to list every app/function/feature which is available via iOS and not Android (and vice versa) to show you how foolish this is, because if we do, we will be here all day. 

“My Android doesn’t allow me to initiate calls in Facetime, I think I’ll sue Google!” 

“I can’t use my Android keyboard on iOS, time to sue Apple!

Obviously that’s not what I am saying.  My point is that consumers should be made aware on the packaging that not all features of the Sonos speaker system is available on all platforms running the Sonos app.  That is not too much to ask.  I think consumers would make different choices if they have that information, otherwise one can only conclude Sonos is just another greedy corporation preying on the uninformed.

Obviously that’s not what I am saying.  My point is that consumers should be made aware on the packaging that not all features of the Sonos speaker system is available on all platforms running the Sonos app.  That is not too much to ask.  I think consumers would make different choices if they have that information, otherwise one can only conclude Sonos is just another greedy corporation preying on the uninformed.

Trueplay-compatible devices and Sonos products

Trueplay is available on all fully-supported iOS or iPadOS devices except the devices listed below.

Android devices and devices running beta versions of iOS or iPadOS can use the Quick Tuning function of Trueplay, if available. Quick Tuning is currently supported by Era 100 and Era 300.

If you don't have a supported device, you can borrow one from someone else to Trueplay your products. As long as your Sonos products stay in the same location, Trueplay only needs to be completed once per product.

How much more “aware” do they have to be when the very first Google result for “Sonos Trueplay compatibility” gives the above link? And I suggest to you that no manufacturer lists on their packaging what a product doesn’t do.  Not one.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is it just Sonos that you feel should do this, or all manufacturers? Should those features be listed, or do you expect just a general warning?

Somebody better start telling consumers that Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes aren’t really part of a “G-r-r-r-r-eat healthy breakfast.”

Badge

Any streaming service will have different audio capabilities depending on the device they are played on.  Likewise, a video source will have certain video and audio capabilities that can only be played on TVs/projectors and sound systems that are capable of producing these formats.  Your router may be capable of certain speeds, but you’ll only see those speeds if you have an internet service and devices with radios capable of those speeds.  your phone may be 5G, but not with a 5G network.  Many automobiles with self driving capabilities will only work on certain roads.  Many of Apple’s products and features only work with other Apple products.  many smart  home devices only work certain controller apps and hubs, the entire reason why the Matter standard is created.

Let’s look at this differently.  Can you produce an image of Sonos packaging where they state Trueplay tuning as a feature and don’t mention that it’s only available on iOS devices?  I honestly don’t think Trueplay is even mentioned on product packaging.  It obviously is mentioned on the Sonos website, and they do specify it’s for iOS only.

And to get clarification, is your argument that Sonos shouldn’t offer any features if they can’t be provided for all android and iOS users, or that they can do this but they have to go further in making sure people are aware of what features are available on certain devices?

What I see is techno snobbery bordering on discrimination in many of these Sonos posts.  Next I expect to see “if you can afford these expensive speakers then you should be able to afford the latest $1k iPhone or iPad for full-feature access.”  All I am saying is that consumers should be informed of any limitations of the app on different platforms so they can make educated decisions on whether or not the product is right for them.  A “not all features may be availabe on Android devices” note on the packaging isn’t too much to ask for someone considering purchasing this product.  Evidently the capabilities of the streaming device is determined by the Sonos app.  If the device does not meet Sonos’ requirements for all available functions then the app should not install on that particular hardware.

What I see is techno snobbery bordering on discrimination in many of these Sonos posts.  Next I expect to see “if you can afford these expensive speakers then you should be able to afford the latest $1k iPhone or iPad for full-feature access.”  

I’ve seen nothing in the replies which even hints at this.  Matter of fact, my reply states quite clearly that I myself am not an Apple aficionado, and I own Android products. 

All I am saying is that consumers should be informed of any limitations of the app on different platforms so they can make educated decisions on whether or not the product is right for them.  A “not all features may be availabe on Android devices” note on the packaging isn’t too much to ask for someone considering purchasing this product.  Evidently the capabilities of the streaming device is determined by the Sonos app.  If the device does not meet Sonos’ requirements for all available functions then the app should not install on that particular hardware.

“All available functions”?  Now it’s my turn to say “Seriously?”  How many complaints do you think you are going to get when more than half the world’s population are cut off from operating the worlds most popular multi-room wireless music system because Android lacks a single feature which iOS has? 

And by the way, until the latest announcement, the Android app could stream from local music and the iOS app could not.  According to you, that means neither app should load on either phone.  Which is patently absurd. 

Rethink your stance, man.  You are embarrassing yourself here. 

Badge

Somebody better start telling consumers that Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes aren’t really part of a “G-r-r-r-r-eat healthy breakfast.”

That is required information printed on all food products sold in the USA.  Read it and make your own decision.

That is required information printed on all food products sold in the USA.  Read it and make your own decision.

Show me what information is required on all consumer electronics and you have made a point.  Until then . . .