TRUEPLAY ANDROID Legality

• 22 October 2022
  • 58 replies

Userlevel 3

I am absolutely shocked after spending £1500 on SONOS home cinema speakers to find that unless you own an Apple Iphone or Ipad you cannot calibrate the system using their Trueplay. 
After reaching out to Sonos and being told “Borrow one from a friend” are you being serious?
How about you make your product calibrate without needing a £600 Apple Product?
Because I am an Android user, as well as all my friends, my system is technically restricted on its performance. 
I would love to know the legality of this. Restricting a products performance dependant on what 3rd party companies technology you own?
Maybe SONOS can send a rep to my house, so I can borrow their APPLE device to calibrate Trueplay, to make their product work as intended. 
Shocking business practice. 😤

58 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

IMHO that’s almost as shocking as owning your system for well over a year before considering Trueplay. 

Userlevel 3

I have multi cinema set-ups and upgraded my Sonos system, and still cannot believe that they haven’t added Android Trueplay or a way to use the Mics built into the speakers to do their own Trueplay calibration. 

@Woody250,
Restricting a products performance?

In some cases the tuning process might make the sound less-preferred for some. It’s a subtle change in most cases and in some rooms I personally prefer the sound with Trueplay disabled.

The default sound profile for a Sonos ‘room’ is a damn fine ‘average’ to try to suit the majority and there are plenty of customisation tools in the Sonos App to cater for most environments and the way that many prefer to hear their chosen audio output.

Trueplay is just one additional ‘free’ tool that needs a decent calibrated mic to use it and that’s why iOS Apple iOS devices were selected, as many other manufacturers mobile products have mics that vary greatly, even within the same make/model. 

It’s of course entirely free all round for those of us who already have a compatible iOS device and I doubt many would want to pay-out €/£/$75.00+ for a Sonos mic that only gets used for less than a minute, once in a blue-moon. 

You just need to find a friend that has a iPhone and give them a seat, cuppa and a biscuit, whilst you spend a few minutes with their phone and tune your Sonos ‘rooms’ and then you’re done.

I am absolutely shocked at your post.  Please get a grip.  I am an Android user and haven’t Trueplayed my HT system.  It sounds great. It does what I want it to.

The reasons why it is much more difficult to add Trueplay to Android are set out in numerous threads so if you are interested you can Google it.

Legality?  Jeez….

There is some merit in the OP sentiment, seeing that Trueplay is now many years old, and Android users are not some outlying subset of Sonos users - or so I imagine.

A question: can one replicate what Trueplay does using what is provided in Sonos Eq adjustments, or does Trueplay do something beyond what any permutation/combination of the EQ adjustments can deliver? I ask this knowing that probably only Sonos can accurately answer this.

@Corry P ?

A question: can one replicate what Trueplay does using what is provided in Sonos Eq adjustments, or does Trueplay do something beyond what any permutation/combination of the EQ adjustments can deliver? I ask this knowing that probably only Sonos can accurately answer this.

@Corry P ?

https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/trueplay-spectral-correction/

Woody250,

Rather than feeling cheated as an Android user, consider the free feature that has been added for iOS users. Unfortunately, it is not practical to add this as a free feature for Android users. Why is this not practical? It’s because there are a limited number of iOS models that SONOS tests extensively before releasing Trueplay for a given model. You may have noticed that Trueplay is not yet available for some of the latest iOS models because SONOS has not yet had the opportunity to test a significant number of samples.

It certainly would be possible to develop an accessory for Android users that could enable Trueplay. Would you be willing to purchase such accessory or be comfortable with the added cost of a SONOS unit that included such an accessory? Or, would you be willing to take your Android to a certified dealer and have it calibrated? Who should pay the cost of this service? Using ROAM or MOVE as the portable calibrated microphone might be an option -- but only if a customer owns one of these.

Userlevel 3

So the only way I can get optimal sound from my SONOS cinema set-up is by using Trueplay, which in turn can only be calibrated correctly if I own a 3rd party piece of technology, which SONOS doesnt supply, from one particular company. i.e Apple.
Can no one see the illogical nature of this?
What if people, like myself, disagree with Apples business practices?

Its like going to car dealer, buying a car, then being told that the car will only run at about 75% performance unless you own only a Samsung smartphone. Its absolutely absurd. 

There is no reason at all, after all this time, that Sonos couldn’t incorporate a calibration tool which uses the inbuilt microphone in the speakers.

Its a racket and the legalities of it would be very interesting. 

Here's your hat:

Userlevel 3

Its not a conspiracy if its fact ….
You cannot get your Sonos home system 100% optimised unless you use an Apple device. FACT!

Its not a conspiracy if its fact ….
You cannot get your Sonos home system 100% optimised unless you use an Apple device. FACT!

The conspiracy is your insinuation that "it's a racket" which has Sonos promoting Apple products over Android.  Because there's many thousands of users who lost the ability to play files directly from their iPhones who would have something to say about that.

Never mind the further implications that Sonos is somehow doing something illegal, which is just silly.  3rd party Airplay speakers require an iOS device, are they too "illegal"?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That not a fact, it’s an opinion. Lot’s of users (one of them writing above) do consider their system 100% without Trueplay.

Sonos has solid technical reasons to restrict Trueplay to iOS devices and is very clear about this. You should not be schocked. Just borrow an iPhone, indeed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The original press release https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/newsroom/sonos-introduces-trueplay-tuning-software-and-new-flagship-play-5-smart-speaker explains what Trueplay tries to achieve. Well placed speakers will minimise the need for Trueplay. It was and still is only available on IOS. If this is a problem for you, @Woody250, why did you buy Sonos rather than, say, Bose? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I used to borrow my sister's iPhone when she was around, until the Mrs bought an iPad! 

A limited range of Androids like the Pixel line, or even Sonos's own portable speakers could easily be included in the small number of devices Sonos could support for truplay calibration.

Very useful link, thank you.

But reading it leads me to expect more out of the tuning than what I get where play1 units are concerned - as a pair or as a single unit. The latter especially, since it is placed for convenience and not in the best place for it acoustically. With a Sub added to the mix, no such issues - the difference after tuning is stark, and for the better. To an extent that when I am fooling around with the Trueplay toggle with reggae playing loud, my wife will shout out from the next room when Trueplay is toggled off!

That also suggests that Sonos 5 units that do much more bass than the 1/One, may show up bigger improvements after the tuning.

I have no experience of Sonos HT components, but my experience suggests that Trueplay is essential if Sub is in the mix there. And also probably for the units with speaker drivers pointed in different directions. Which leads me to ask @John B : why have you not borrowed an iDevice to see if your great can become greater?!

Reading the blog will wind up the OP even more for not having access to the feature - or encourage him to look to make a new friend of someone that has an iDevice! If so, it may be worth doing True play twice if toggling the Trueplay ON/OFF after the first pass yields no noticeable difference. Just to make sure it has been done right.

And then remember to not move the units around in the room, because that “breaks” the tuning. Also, remember that toggling Trueplay ON/OFF subsequently can be done via Android at any time in the future.

The implication of this nonsense is that having developed Trueplay for iDevices, Sonos should have withheld the technology. Android users may not benefit so in the interest of fairness nobody should? 

This is a free market. We can all decide whether the features and qualities that a product offers us makes it the best home for our money. I bought Sonos before Trueplay was added (as a free feature) and I have continued to buy Sonos. Taking the product as a whole, it best meets my needs. If Trueplay for Android is critical for you that's fine.  Just don't buy Sonos.

I have no experience of Sonos HT components, but my experience suggests that Trueplay is essential if Sub is in the mix there.

Good Lord. 🙄

And there he goes...again. 

The George Bernard Shaw advice on never to wrestle with a pig comes to mind.

And there he goes...again. 

The George Bernard Shaw advice on never to wrestle with a pig comes to mind.

I can't help it you make a fool of yourself so often.  I only have to hit what you serve, and you aren't exactly serving aces, champ.

Is Sonos a better product with Trueplay than without it? Yes, I imagine so.

Is Sonos still a great product without Trueplay and well worth the money? In my judgement yes, but I respect the right of others to feel differently. 

Is it much harder to add Trueplay to Android than to IDevices? This seems to me highly likely given the range of models.

Should Sonos not offer Trueplay on IDevices because it cannot offer it on Android? Don't be ridiculous. Who does that benefit?

There is no reason at all, after all this time, that Sonos couldn’t incorporate a calibration tool which uses the inbuilt microphone in the speakers.

Its a racket and the legalities of it would be very interesting. 

This may not change the situation. If users did not own one of the speakers that includes a calibrated microphone, users would be complaining about the need to purchase yet another SONOS unit simply to be able to calibrate their phone/pad or run Trueplay. If you have never used Trueplay there is an operational detail that you should be aware of. The phone/pad must be moved around the room while running Trueplay. If you attempted to do this without using a battery powered unit, there would be a trip hazard associated with the power cord.

Why is there a legal issue with adding a free feature that was never part of the initial product concept?

I'll add another one…

Where would Sonos' development time on tuning better be spent? On autotune technology that doesn't depend on an external device (such as on the Roam) or on trying to implement Trueplay for a vast and ever changing range of Android phones and tablets? It's a rhetorical question. 

Why is there a legal issue with adding a free feature that was never part of the initial product concept?

There isn’t any that I see, when the feature was offered free, post purchase, back in 2015. It now is a part of the concept for sales being made, but Sonos has made it very clear that an iOS device is needed to enable it, so there isn't any there either - assuming that what I see on the Sonos website is equally clearly stated on any other Sonos marketing collateral including that used by official distributors. 

Another question that is of no interest to the OP, that only Sonos can accurately answer, I would think: Does Trueplay do more in higher memory S2 units than what it does in a Play 1 running on S1? Will a Play 1 do more from the tuning if under S2? Or, more likely, will a latest generation One do more with Trueplay under S2 than what a play 1 does under S1?

Userlevel 3

Why hasn't Sonos incorporated their Trueplay calibration tool into the microphones built into their speakers?

Perhaps reading some of the threads that have existed in this forum since TruePlay was released might assist you in understanding the challenges around implementing TruePlay would be for Android devices.  There are several.