trueplay

• 30 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi all , quick question, when doing trueplay in a room with furniture like sofa etc how close should I get with my idevice to the actual sofa etc ?? Right up close or wave it near by ?? I've watched the short video but thought I'd ask if anyone has any extra tips for better results , thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

You can test both ways. There’s no limit to the number of times you can run TruePlay...do it until your ears are as happy as possible, then stop. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I put the mike near where my head will be.

Try it several ways and then try several listening positions to see what works best.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I put the mike near where my head will be.

Try it several ways and then try several listening positions to see what works best.

Thanks , I'm thinking of how close to the walls etc I should put the mic whilst scanning ? 

I reckon that what the waving is doing is capturing how the sound comes across in different places in the room, and then averaging that across before tuning things for the best sound - as defined by Sonos. That would suggest that the device should not be closer to the walls than listeners in the room would be.

Userlevel 7

My two cents…

IMO you are tuning the room. The intensity of the Sound waves reflected will be based upon the surfaces they come in contact with. That said..what is the difference between getting close to a plush sofa versus getting close to hardwood furniture in a room with plush carpet. Will you go extremely low to the carpet? IMO (again) as long you are covering the entire space with up and down motions and walking behind furniture where permissible the turning will represent the sound heard by the microphone from all surfaces as a composite. I might even suggest (as I do) not getting to close to walls but relying more on the sound waves picked up as a reflection.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

To the OP, you’re over thinking this:wink:

Just wave your phone around like a looney till a passing neighbour spots you and thinks you’ve taken up some weird ballet!

To the OP, you’re over thinking this:wink:

Just wave your phone around like a looney till a passing neighbour spots you and thinks you’ve taken up some weird ballet!

Pretty much.  when you do the tuning process, they tell you exactly what to do, even provide a video demonstration.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks for your replies everyone ! I've done the trueplay , only part of the room I've not done is the part where the beam sits , I've scanned either side of it , since doing the tuning I seem to have gained a bit of " boom " when people are talking which I'm not 100% keen on ! 

So shall I scan across the beam as well ?? 

Userlevel 7

Hi

There’s a video you can watch at the beginning before you start the TruePlay tuning. To answer your question…you don’t scan the room in sections. You scan the ENTIRE room. It’s not that complicated. 

The key thing to remember is TruePlay is measuring the acoustical properties of the room, and not the ability of the speaker.