Thought on possiblities for new Sonos product announcement on 6/6

• 18 May 2018
  • 3 replies

So, because I can't stop myself from speculating, I've been thinking about what exactly the new product coming out on 6/6 is going to be. Here is basically what we know about it...

- It will have an HDMI connection
- It will have a mic for voice control
- It is designed for the home theatre space
- The press release photo implies that it reduce the number of remote controls needed for your setup
- Onkyo is going to provide more details about how it's receivers 'work with Sonos' on the same day.

The popular opinions seem to be that the new product will be an updated playbar or playbase, or perhaps a SuperConnect of sorts that handles additional home theatre codecs and allowing boding of speakers in various home theatre formats.

What if it's none of those and is just more of an updated to the CONNECT? The news about Onkyo is about the current CONNECT, which is an older product. Would it makes sense to have an updated version of this that has voice control built in? If the new device can control receiver (volume, inputs, etc), has a mic for voice control and a small speaker for Alexa responses only, would it be a worth while product? It would be superior to using an echo dot with your receiver because it would not require you to 'lock in' the receiver input to the dot. It also will probably have Google home control in the future. If the price is right, seems like something that would sell well.

The part that doesn't fully add up with this is, why is hdmi included? It could be that it's more of a passthrough so that you connect your tv to the Connect 2.0, to the receiver. Wouldn't be need though since Sonos can theoretically control the receiver through wifi already. Then again, not all receivers are going to be wifi and controllable that way. So perhaps the new device can send audio or tv audio to your receiver. As an added bonus, if the Connect 2.0 is connected to your tv through hdmi arc, it can wake up your tv as well, maybe other things.

I am guessing though. I think I would rather see a superconnect or palybar product, but this option would be nice too. I can see a connect 2.0 priced around $150 or so, and that may be more helpful in getting market penetration and name recognition for Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
Not sure how this is a great idea. The idea of a wifi control for wireless speakers throughout the house has been done by pretty much everyone. The features you describe are great for people who are attached to their existing receivers and speakers but for the public as a whole, receivers and giant speakers are a dying breed. Why do it with five giant speakers that take up a lot of space, when you can do most of the same with eight small ones that are hidden. The only reason Onkyo is coming into the mix is because of Denon's line of receivers adding Heos. Sonos has no corollary for this, therefore instead of starting 50 yrs of history from scratch, they are partnering with a prominent company who is already an expert in receivers and simply adding Sonos connectivity.
Not sure how this is a great idea.

I didn't say that it was or that I even wanted such a product. I'm only trying to guess as to what the new product is.

The idea of a wifi control for wireless speakers throughout the house has been done by pretty much everyone.

Yes, but I don't know that it's reached market saturation yet, or if it's done well in some cases. Besides, this isn't just about wifi control, it's about voice control as well.

The features you describe are great for people who are attached to their existing receivers and speakers but for the public as a whole, receivers and giant speakers are a dying breed.

Yes, but there are still a lot of people out there who use the old setup. As well, and I should have mentioned this earlier, there is no reason this could be used with soundbars (not playbars) as well, which is definitely a very popular format.

Why do it with five giant speakers that take up a lot of space, when you can do most of the same with eight small ones that are hidden.

Cost and because you already have the '5 giant speakers', which really don't have to be giant.

The only reason Onkyo is coming into the mix is because of Denon's line of receivers adding Heos.

Maybe, but it also enables voice control, in a way, as well as opens the door for them to stop developed on streaming directly to their receivers and allows all that work to be done through Sonos.

Sonos has no corollary for this, therefore instead of starting 50 yrs of history from scratch, they are partnering with a prominent company who is already an expert in receivers and simply adding Sonos connectivity.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Corollary for what? I would not be surprised if Sonos is getting home theatre help in return for the deal with Onkyo, but I don't know that. However, I'd say this aspect of 'works with Sonos' is more about selling the Connect (and maybe other products) as well as getting more name recognition in the marketplace.

As I said before, I am trying to think of possibilities. I don't know, and I wouldn't say I'm in favor of this idea. I'm just trying to put together what I know about the new product, and what I speculate regarding the market and Sonos plans.
Badge
I think the community has it spot on. A new PlayBar. Likely to be available in black or white. Likely a solid color much like the One. Look for upgraded internals, maybe an extra set of woofers. An announcement about Onkyo working with Sonos, possibly integration of Sonos in the receivers so you can use your own speakers if you so choose. And longshot, a new suit for the Play:3 so that the family photos don't look awkward. Second and surprise longshot, a new subwoofer to compliment the new PlayBar, mainly because its design has never changed.