Taking Projector Outside to show movies on house w/ Sonos Sound

• 15 February 2018
  • 10 replies

I enjoy showing movies outside with a projector by my pool. The best way I have found to do this is to bring my playbase down to the pool to connect into the optical audio in and then set up two play ones for surround sound. This is a bit cumbersome, does anyone have any other suggestions? Using a Sonos connect just means the audio experiences a significant delay from the video so that isn't an option.

I really wish Sonos made a small device that had an optical in that would make that sound available to all Sonos speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Other than moving the speakers what are your other issues? Are you having to program a remote to the Playbase each time? However, if the optical out from the projector is variable you should be able to control the volume via the projector using its remote.
No it has nothing to do with remotes. There is no optical out from the projector, I am splitting the audio signal off of the HDMI in to the projector. I just want optical audio to work wirelessly without delay with any Sonos speakers.
I agree that it would be a nice feature/device to have. However, I think there are two problems with the idea.

First I'd be surprised if there is much of a market for that device. Although people are using projectors and tvs outside more and more, I would bet we are still a few years away from people getting serious about the sound quality out there as well.

Second, the reason for the delay is because sonos needs to buffer the audio and transmit over 2.4 GHz wireless in order for it to play in sync across all sonos devices in your system. The reason the playbar/playbase work in sync with tv audio is because it uses 5.0 wireless, which has limited range. Because of the limited range, it's not ideal for particularly large areas, like outside by the pool.

Personally, I've got a connect:amp driving some outdoor speakers. I'll roll out a flat screen on a cart from time to time. The tv can sync video with the main indoor tv through hdmi, and also connect to the connect:amp through rca. Of course, I get the audio delay. It would be nice if there was a mode available to turn off the buffering and use the connect:amp as if it was standard, non-wireless amp/receiver. That would be ideal for me.

I'm contemplating getting a cheap receiver to drive the outdoor speakers (maybe with a sonos connect) but then I loss the ability to control wirelessly, so it somewhat defeats the point. For now, I just use the TV's speakers.
So the playbar/playbase use a different frequency to communicate with the surround sound Play 1s? The play 1s work great by my pool, so i don't think the size is an issue.
Normal frequency used by Sonos to communicate with all speakers is 2.4Ghz. However, when using a PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE, in that case only will those speakers communicate with the SUB and surrounds on a 5Ghz frequency. However, any of the signal coming from the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE going to non-bonded speakers (the SUB and surrounds) will be on 2.4Ghz.

Note that this is the reason why the CONNECT:AMP has to be connected with a wire to the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE to push surround speakers...it doesn't have a 5Ghz wifi capable card in it, only a 2.4Ghz card.
Sounds like I don't have much of a choice but to haul out the playbase. Thanks all.
We are finishing construction of a pool, and I'd like to show movies outside from time to time in Dolby 5.1. We have lots of SONOS around the house. I'm considering setting up the following, and wanted to see if there is any reason it wouldn't work.

I'll be setting up the screen on the far side of the pool (across the 20 foot width), with the projector on the near side. On the far side, I'm planning to have an older AppleTV (with both HDMI and optical outputs) as my source, with the optical out connected to a Playbar below the screen and the HDMI out connected to a wireless HDMI unit that is transmitting video to its receiver beside the projector. I'll have Play 1's serving as surrounds, and a Sonos SUB in the system as well. If there is any lag in the video given the wireless HDMI transmission, I understand that Sonos has a setting to delay the audio in that case.

I would only set this up occasionally for movie night, so the electronics don't have to be weatherproof. Are there any problems I'm overlooking in having the Playbar take the optical signal from the AppleTV and send the 5.1 audio to the Play 1's and SUB? Is the Playbar powerful enough to produce sufficient sound for our pool area (the pool is 20' x 40')? And based on the discussion above, is there any concern about the range of the Playbar and if so would a BOOST fix that?

Thanks for any advice!

Patrick
I brought my playbase down to the pool and used the play 1 on either side and had no delay at all. You can use the old Apple TV or buy a splitter that splits the optical audio off the new Apple TV hdmi out for $20 or so.

For me, the best option may be to just buy a Bluetooth speaker setup and connect that to the Apple TV rather than using Sonos.
How was the sound put out by the Playbase? Was it loud enough for your pool area?
Definitely.