Answered

Switching between "TV" mode and music

• 8 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi - I’m planning a construction project in my house and part of it includes re-doing our TV area. It’s a small area - around 12’ x 8’. I’m thinking about doing a setup with an Arc, Sub, and 2 ceiling speakers for rear surround via AMP. I had a few questions about this setup.

1. How would this zone be used if I want to listen to music on it instead of TV? Specifically w/ regards to the surrounds. Will the AMP for the surrounds and the SUB be linked to the ARC and act as one zone, whether for TV or music? Or is each component like a separate assignable room? I’m trying to figure out how to get this space to work best for both TV and music.
  2. How does the TV etc recognize the configuration for it’s output? Does it act like a 3.1 setup and use the source material mix? Or does it just come as a bitstream and Sonos does its own thing with the mix?
  3. If I need to have multiple inputs - i.e. a streamer, blu-ray, etc.. I assume they just all go into the TV and I use the TV inputs to switch back and forth?

I’ve been a Sonos customer for 15 years but this is my first time using it for anything other than music. Looking forward this! Thanks!

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 8 January 2024, 11:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
  1. In TV mode you will get sound out of the system that matches what it is being fed, from Stereo to Atmos. In music mode you get the choice of Ambient (the default) or Full (mirror front l/r) modes.
  2. Never tried to figure this out. With the Sub and surrounds it sounds fine to me, adding the surrounds it still sounds fine but I hear some sound from the surrounds.
  3. You can use your TV as a switch for things connected to it but you are likely better off streaming music directly from Sonos. If you need a Line-In connection and your TV doesn’t have one you’ll need a (non-surround) Sonos device that does.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks - just to clarify about #1. Is the “TV Area” its own zone that includes the sub and the 2 rears when I’m sending music to it? i.e. does the software somehow link the amp, arc and sub together as one zone that can then be used for either TV or music?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sonos system is made up out of "rooms” that are either sole devices or defined stereo or surround set ups. If you would set up your system as a surround set up (Arc for FL-Center-FR, Amp for surround rear, and Sub) they would form one "room” that could be called “TV Arear”, to be used for TV and music. When set to “Full” all speakers when would play music, so you'd get stereo from the Arc and the Amp. When watching TV you'd get stereo, surround or Atmos, depending on your source.

It is possible to set up your system as two rooms (arc and Sub in one. Amp in another) and “group” both rooms, but this would result in a 75ms dealy while watching TV. Music would be in sync. You'd also not have surround rears.

Userlevel 7

Hi

@hominamad

Excellent advice from @106rallye. This is just a thought…IMO in a room the size you mentioned you’re missing a great opportunity to enjoy the full effect of Dolby Atmos by not using a pair of Era 300’s as surrounds with the Arc.

I have a larger space but after switching my Sonos Ones to Era 300’s for surrounds with the Arc…Dolby Atmos material is absolutely amazing.

Another reason not to use in-ceiling speakers for surrounds is placement. They have to be exact in regards to seating position and are unforgiving if seating/furniture is changed.

You can still install in-ceiling with a Sonos amp but repurpose them for music only and/or as a wash-over for non-critical music enjoyment such as background music for entertaining. 

As I said this is JMO as an alternative thought. 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah, I hear what you’re saying. If it were just up to me, I’d probably go with the Eras on stands behind the seating area. However, my wife would really really really like there to be nothing behind the couch. I may be able to work on her a bit though :)

It’s always a fight between aesthetics and functionality!

Is it really going to be make that much of a difference having that setup, vs some high quality ceiling speakers?

Userlevel 7

@hominamad

I understand your situation with the spouse 😂 Using in-ceiling speakers are not a deal breaker otherwise Sonos would not promote them for surround.

To your question…The Era 300’s IMHO are far superior to in-ceiling speakers when used as surrounds to complement the Arc for full immersion in Dolby Atmos.

This just may be my preference…but I’d prefer the Era 100’s over in-ceiling speakers for surrounds.

However, if your only objective is to get an expanded surround effect; versus the Arc alone, then the in-ceiling speakers will suffice. Make sure the spouse realizes that re-arranging seating will be limited in order to maintain the optimal surround experience.

Using Sonos in-ceiling speakers by Sonance will allow the use of Trueplay to optimize performance with Arc and Sub. Also, I suggest mounting the speakers just slightly to the left and right of the sofa/couch and at least two feet behind. The domes in the speakers can be swiveled and angled for proper sound performance.

Click the link for mounting instructions 

https://www.sonos.com/pdfs/productguides/en-us/sonos_in_ceiling_by_sonance.pdf