Question

Surround speakers cutting out after 6.3 update.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi there, I never have had a problem with my speakers before (My setup is Soundbar + SUB + 2xNEW Play:5s. After the update to the 6.3 for some reason the right or left surround cuts audio sporadically. They never cut at the same time.
What I already tried to do.

1 – Shutdown my router, wait a while and turn it on again. (My router is the ASUS RT-AC5300)

Since this didn’t work I went to the next step.

2 – Remove the surrounds speakers, remove the power cord of the speakers, wait a bit and reconfigure the surround speakers.

It didn’t work also.

The sound cuts are very brief something like 2-3s of no sound from the affected speaker, and let’s say that on an interval of 10 minutes this happens around 6 times.

Someone has any other troubleshooting tips? What to do from here?
Regards,
Tiago

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

If you didn't have an IP address conflict before, rebooting only your router is a good way of getting one. You need to shutdown everything connected to your network and restart it all. Wired Sonos, wireless Sonos, then everything else.
If you didn't have an IP address conflict before, rebooting only your router is a good way of getting one. You need to shutdown everything connected to your network and restart it all. Wired Sonos, wireless Sonos, then everything else.

I have the same exact setup as Tiago and was cruzin' for several months without a hitch. Then I updated two days ago to the latest version - 6.3 - and now the surrounds are cutting out completely for a second or two erratically (just like Tiago is describing).

I unplugged "everything" - modem, router, system, tv, etc. - still busted! I have not yet tried to disconnect the surrounds and sub, and then reconnect to soundbar. I guess I'll try that - but I don't have much confidence that it will fix the issue.

Perhaps a software patch?

Damn! - wish I didn't update.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey guys, we can help find out what's going on here.

The sound cuts are very brief something like 2-3s of no sound from the affected speaker, and let’s say that on an interval of 10 minutes this happens around 6 times.

Then I updated two days ago to the latest version - 6.3 - and now the surrounds are cutting out completely for a second or two erratically (just like Tiago is describing).

tiago and pranapool, would you two mind sending diagnostic reports right after you experience one of these dropouts? This FAQ will show you how to send one, just let me know what confirmation number you get. Make sure you've already tried the above steps of rebooting all your devices (though it sounds like you've both already done so). Ideally, we'd like to see the diagnostic sent within 5-10 minutes after one of the drops.

Thanks.

Then I updated two days ago to the latest version - 6.3 - and now the surrounds are cutting out completely for a second or two erratically (just like Tiago is describing).

tiago and pranapool, would you two mind sending diagnostic reports right after you experience one of these dropouts? This FAQ will show you how to send one, just let me know what confirmation number you get. Make sure you've already tried the above steps of rebooting all your devices (though it sounds like you've both already done so). Ideally, we'd like to see the diagnostic sent within 5-10 minutes after one of the drops.

Thanks.

I'll be happy to do that if the issue persists, however, just after I posted my comment I removed my surrounds from the 5:1 system (from the software) and then added them back in. Been playing music for about 30 mins - and now its not cutting out anymore.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thats the confirmation number after I've made the diagnostic: 6312511

Let me know if you see something.
Thank you!

Thanks.

Hello Ryan E,

Woke up this morning and the issue has returned. I submitted a diagnostic #6314294 - don't know if it helps, but the issue happened while the diagnostic was running.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks guys, I reviewed both diagnostics and I think we're looking at two separate issues. I'd like to get some more info on the context before continuing.

At the time of the diagnostic, it looks like the PLAYBAR was playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio source from the TV. Can you tell me the make and model of your TV? I'd also like to know if the dropouts also happen when you play from a non-TV source, like a music service or radio station. I'd like to see if the drops you're experiencing are isolated to just Dolby 5.1 signals.

Woke up this morning and the issue has returned. I submitted a diagnostic #6314294

In this diagnostic, the PLAYBAR wasn't playing from the TV, but from a music source, is that correct? Do your surrounds dropout regardless of what source you're playing, or does it only happen when you're watching TV?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Ryan thanks for trying to mitigate this issue. My TV is the LG 55EG9200. It happens when I play audio via Spotify or Apple Music also. Its noticeable because I choose my playback method for music set for Full (enables louder, full range sound).

On TV I can also say for certain that it happens with stereo sound is coming out as well, but less frequent.

My router is supposed to be good and always worked well with my SONOS setup. The router is on the same room and 3 meters (10 feet) away from the speakers.

I will be home just by the end of the week now, I would be happy to do further diagnostics if you need to, in order to solve this.

Regards,
Thanks guys, I reviewed both diagnostics and I think we're looking at two separate issues. I'd like to get some more info on the context before continuing.

At the time of the diagnostic, it looks like the PLAYBAR was playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio source from the TV. Can you tell me the make and model of your TV? I'd also like to know if the dropouts also happen when you play from a non-TV source, like a music service or radio station. I'd like to see if the drops you're experiencing are isolated to just Dolby 5.1 signals.

Woke up this morning and the issue has returned. I submitted a diagnostic #6314294

In this diagnostic, the PLAYBAR wasn't playing from the TV, but from a music source, is that correct? Do your surrounds dropout regardless of what source you're playing, or does it only happen when you're watching TV?

I haven't noticed from the TV - but the diagnostic is from Music Source (that's where the issue is)

Question Ryan - is there any way to go back to the previous version? (I'm guessing not.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You're correct that it isn't possible to go back to an older software version. Hopefully your work with support will resolve your issue
You're correct that it isn't possible to go back to an older software version. Hopefully your work with support will resolve your issue

Thanks Stuart_W.

Unfortunately, Ryan E didn't reply back to my last response to his question - and it sounded like the diagnostic didn't reveal much. Need some assistance - please advise.

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi pranapool.

I suggest, in the first instance, you really Jew Ryan's response and provide the answers he requested. Why you have have drop-outs of speakers there are 2 likely culprits. 1. IP conflict or 2. Interference.

1. Reboot wireless system by switching router, all Sonos and every device off and restart power - router first then Sonos gear then rest. 2. Make sure Sonos and wi-Fi channels are NOT the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi pranapool.

I suggest, in the first instance, you really Jew Ryan's response and provide the answers he requested. Why you have have drop-outs of speakers there are 2 likely culprits. 1. IP conflict or 2. Interference.

1. Reboot wireless system by switching router, all Sonos and every device off and restart power - router first then Sonos gear then rest. 2. Make sure Sonos and wi-Fi channels are NOT the same.

Mmm. That is meant to say "view Ryan's response"......

damned eyes at 7am weren't working properly!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It happens when I play audio via Spotify or Apple Music also. Its noticeable because I choose my playback method for music set for Full (enables louder, full range sound).

I haven't noticed from the TV - but the diagnostic is from Music Source (that's where the issue is)

Thanks for the updates guys, and apologies for the delay in response.

Tiago, that TV should work just fine with the PLAYBAR, so nothing to worry about there. It's odd that the dropouts are occurring from multiple sources - this may indicate more than one issue here, and I'll want to have a support technician take a closer look at this with you. I'll get a ticket started for you under 160630-001650. When you’re next available, would you mind giving our Customer Care team a call via phone? The contact info can be found here. Thanks.

pranapool, I’d also like to get a ticket started for you. The diagnostic was showing that your Sonos system was communicating well at the time of the dropout, so we’ll want a technician to double check and make sure everything’s working okay locally. If the problem occurs only with music services instead of TV audio, this usually indicates a local issue or an internet issue, though the fact that only the surrounds are dropping makes me lean more towards local. I’ll make your ticket under reference number 160630-001669, mind calling as well? Here's the link for the contact info.

Thanks again.
It happens when I play audio via Spotify or Apple Music also. Its noticeable because I choose my playback method for music set for Full (enables louder, full range sound).

Thanks for the updates guys, and apologies for the delay in response.

Tiago, that TV should work just fine with the PLAYBAR, so nothing to worry about there. It's odd that the dropouts are occurring from multiple sources - this may indicate more than one issue here, and I'll want to have a support technician take a closer look at this with you. I'll get a ticket started for you under 160630-001650. When you’re next available, would you mind giving our Customer Care team a call via phone? The contact info can be found here. Thanks.

pranapool, I’d also like to get a ticket started for you. The diagnostic was showing that your Sonos system was communicating well at the time of the dropout, so we’ll want a technician to double check and make sure everything’s working okay locally. If the problem occurs only with music services instead of TV audio, this usually indicates a local issue or an internet issue, though the fact that only the surrounds are dropping makes me lean more towards local. I’ll make your ticket under reference number 160630-001669, mind calling as well? Here's the link for the contact info.

Thanks again.

Ryan - thanks for the reply.

Just as a recap, the surrounds are cutting out both with just music and when watch TV without a 5:1 audio signal - I haven't noticed an issue when 5:1 program (from TV or AppleT, etc.). I've reset all the devices in the recommended order. I've also tried assigning static addresses from my airport extreme base station: bar:10.0.1.3, sub:10.0.1.4, left:10.0.1.5, right:10.0.1.6 - nothing fixes the issue permanently.

I get ~100Mbps down and ~25Mbps up from my cable internet provider (modem is on the "good" list).

I've tried keeping the bar attached to a cat-5 cable directly to router. None of this is making a difference.

Just for the record - prior to update - I've *never had a drop out - now its a guarantee every 3-5 minutes.

I can only help diagnose in the evenings when I get home - or weekends. However, I can call you during the day/week - which I will try to do today.

Thanks,
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi there,

Ryan, thanks for opening the support ticket. I will try to give them a call this week. I already tried to shut down everything remove surround speakers and adding them back again and nothing fixed it. I really think it has to do with the 6.3 update never had any problem before.

While I am writing I am listing to some music and yes it definitively happen with music source as well. Since I rebooted and now I am listening to stereo music I did another diagnose so maybe you can see whats going on, hopefully. (New diagnose number 6330278)

When the technicians have something to say they will try to get in touch some how?

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Tiago

Probably best to phone them. The support ticket can be accessed via your account but unless you've given them your phone number they can't contact you that way.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had the same problem with my home theatre setup with Play 5s as surround. Left Play will periodically cut for a second. I submitted diagnostic #6328197.

Interestingly I dont have this issue when using pair of Play 1s as surround.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I had the same problem with my home theatre setup with Play 5s as surround. Left Play will periodically cut for a second. I submitted diagnostic #6328197.

Interestingly I dont have this issue when using pair of Play 1s as surround.

Hi febi85,

It looks like you're working with our phone team and have a case number: 160704-001277. Please continue to work with them and let us know if you're unable to get things working properly.
Badge
Hello All,

I have exactly the same setup and issues with my 5:1 setup. Playbar, sub and 2 play 5's.

Doesn't matter if I'm watching a film, listening to music via my computer or phone, the speakers will cut out for 1 second at random times.

Has anyone had this issues resolved?
Badge
Hi, It has just happened to me multiple times over the last 5 - 10 mins.

I submitted diagnostic 6495356.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi Davidhome 1982, the return i Had with the support over the phone is that this is very rare and just happens with 2xplay5 gen 2 as surround speakers. They told me that they would fix this on the 6.4 update. I read on the beta thread on announcement that the beta version already fixes this problem.

I am waiting the final release to update. This peoblem happens with me until today. Very often 1s cuts.

Hopefully it will get really fixed.

Wait for the final 6.4 firmware release that should be out any momment, neet week I think, or update to the beta version.

Regards
Badge
Hi Tiago,

Thank you very much for the info! greatly appreciated.

I have updated to the beta version so hopefully all will be ok!

Again, thank you very much for your reply! This problem has been extremely frustrating
I'm curious if you all ever found a solution to this issue?

I have been experiencing this same issue for what I think is from roughly the same time yours all seem to have started. My play 1s and maybe my sub drop off intermittently and then come back around 30 seconds later.

I have a play bar, 2x play 1 and a sub all working as a home theatre. The problem occurs with both music and TV.

Since the problem started I have had a new router, I've tried shutting down all wireless on my network to remove traffic, I've changed the wireless channel of Sonos to a channel that appears to be empty in my area and I still get the problem.