Answered

Surround sound setup using AMPs.

• 6 March 2019
  • 3 replies

I'm planning a surround sound setup based on this recommendation from the website: "Use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound. The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel."

My question is about adding a 3rd AMP to power a non-Sonos, passive subwoofer. Can I connect the sub out from the 1st AMP to a 3rd AMP to power that subwoofer? Or do I need to use a non-Sonos amp for this application?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 March 2019, 00:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
A 3rd party amp wont work as it wont integrate into the Sonos eco system at least not in sync.
Out of curiosity why a 3rd party sub given the sonos amp amd sub are close in price.

I would expect you should be able to drive it via the amp driving the 2 front speakers
In this application we want all speakers to be built into the wall. The Sonos amp as a sub line out. Presumably that's intended for a non-Sonos amplified sub. My question is whether that output can feed a Sonos amp to power a non-Sonos passive sub.
No, that output is for a powered subwoofer, not an unpowered one. And when the Sonos Amp is set up as a surround power, the output is disabled.

So it's only "live" when the Sonos Amp is powering front speakers, using the HDMI-ARC input.