Surround sound for music.

• 9 October 2017
  • 15 replies

I currently own an Onkyo amp with Tannoy speakers for a 5.1 system. Sound from the TV is now very good. I also own a Play3 for music. Whilst it's not as good as the 5.1 system it is fine for when we want to listen to music.
I'm now considering ditching the Onkyo/Tannoy setup and getting another Play3 and a sound bar to create a wireless home theatre setup with an additional Sonos sub further down the line.
My question is, when the system is setup for home theatre the rear speakers will be relatively quiet as they are just background noise. If I then want to play music through the system do I have to alter the settings or will the system know it's no longer dealing with the TV but playing music, therefore giving full power to all speakers?
Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

You can set the surrounds to Full or Ambient for music. Once that is set, the appropriate setting will automatically be applied to any music source.
There is a setting that affects music sources only, which can be set to 'Full' to achieve what you seem to be seeking
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
As has been said the surrounds have 2 settings, one for TV and one for Music.

I have 2 play ones, Sub and Playbar and in Music mode with surrounds in full music mode it sounds very good indeed!.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I currently own an Onkyo amp with Tannoy speakers for a 5.1 system. Sound from the TV is now very good. I also own a Play3 for music. Whilst it's not as good as the 5.1 system it is fine for when we want to listen to music.
I'm now considering ditching the Onkyo/Tannoy setup and getting another Play3 and a sound bar to create a wireless home theatre setup with an additional Sonos sub further down the line.
My question is, when the system is setup for home theatre the rear speakers will be relatively quiet as they are just background noise. If I then want to play music through the system do I have to alter the settings or will the system know it's no longer dealing with the TV but playing music, therefore giving full power to all speakers?
Thanks in advance.

Apart from saving on two bits of wire going to the rear speakers, why in God's name would you want to ditch the Onkyo/Tannoy combo for something that...
(a) is limited to PCM stereo or DD5.1, so not DTS or DPL or HD Audio
(b) has far fewer connections
(c) doesn't sound as good as a decent full 5.1 system
(d) costs a load more than a good 5.1 system

I love my Sonos, but you'd have to pry my Yamaha/Focal/REL system out of my cold dead hands before I'd chop it in for a Playbar system.

Buy a Connect and plug it in to the Onkyo. If you need more bass then go for BK P12-300SB (12" 300W) or a BK Monolith if you really want to rattle your fillings loose.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have a Beam with two rear Sonos Ones. I just found out about setting the rears to full for music. It sounds pretty decent. But I also still get sound from the beam correct? It sounds like it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With Beam and Surrounds. When set to FULL Mode.... when watching anything via HDMI the surrounds act as surrounds. When listening to music from Sonos app (or other source such as airplay) . . . the rear speakers will act as a pair of R/L stereo speakers and play in conjunction with the Beam as well (so all 3 speakers will be playing - Beam in stereo and Plays in stereo). It sounds really good!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
It does sound pretty good as I just tried it for the first time. Not sure if three sources playing is quite what I want. Now that I found out about full I'm thinking rear Play 5's might make more sense when I'm playing music.
I see Airplaying music works for full mode too (not just from the Sonos Amp) which is nice. Airplay 2 has really added a lot of value and I've been an airplay fan for years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm glad you asked this question - because I went into my room with the Beam/Surrounds/Sub. Turned on music and I was like …. yea this doesn't sound that great. Then went into settings and realized I had never turned on Full mode and was in ambient. Night and day difference with Full mode turned on - TERRIFIC!

Of course I think the Sub also helps a lot with the Beam being on the "bright" side of sounding.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
My sub is on the way 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With Sub - you have no need for Play:5s in rear.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I find the Sonos One sound quality for music lacking which is why I also have stereo paired HomePods in the living room just for music. They sound amazing. They also replaced a set of Kef LS50W wireless in the living room which are huge bang for the buck even at $2500.
I had Sonos ones in stereo pair in the bedroom and replaced those with Homepods too and it is so much better.
We will see how it sounds when I get the sub but I'm also still going to get sound out of the beam which I don't want when playing music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I find Sonos Ones ok for background music especially when trueplay tuned. I have several single Play:1s around house (like dining room etc. where it just fills the room with sound I'm not there for any major listening) In my opinion they do sound very good for critical listening when stereo paired with a Sonos Sub and Trueplay tuned. Kind of the perfect combo at that point. I think your going to find Pair of Sonos Ones and sub will totally blow away paired homepods. Maybe more for how good the Sonos Sub is.

I don't find the Beam in the mix with Play:1s bad. It takes away the true stereo and makes it more of a surround - but really fills a room. The Beam to me is just on the "bright" side when it comes to a little much high end on music. Playbar in the mix with Play:1s and sub gives a richer sound.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm sure I won't find that at all.
Two rear Sonos Ones with a front Beam and sub aren't going to sound nearly as good as two stereo paired HomePods which is also a much cheaper combination. Not that cost is much of a factor for me.
I thought it was odd that the Beam still plays when I want music in stereo and did a search to find out that people have been asking for years for Sonos to fix this. If you could disconnect the soundbar and do Trueplay for the sub and rear speakers it might sound passable to me. Even then the rears would probably have to be Play 5's and I don't find the Play 5 matches the HomePod for sound quality. I've seen lots of other people say that and many who sold their Play 5's for HomePods.
Prior to the HomePod the cheapest speakers I used for music were the Kef LS50w so I'm used to very good sound quality.
I've heard the sub extensively with paired Play 1's and Play 5's. I know Sonos people think the sub is something great but it's just OK. A $500 SVS sub among many others is far better. The Sonos sub lacks detail and is boomy which you can only control a little bit. I'm just making the trade off to get wireless for HT.
Nothing Sonos makes competes with stereo paired Homepods for music. The HomePod is much more sophisticated technically and has a full rich 360 sound Sonos cannot match with any of their current products. They are also auto-tuning. Plus it's a smart speaker too and I switched from Alexa to Siri for privacy reasons. Siri doesn't come close to Alexa functionality but it does everything I need and I find it to be more reliable.
The only reason I have Sonos is for home theater. I've done the Yamaha high end receiver with 9.2 and dual subwoofers and decided to simplify and get rid of all the wires.
I think alot of Sonos people are justifying their purchase and/or haven't heard anything better since most people seem to do bluetooth speakers for music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well then I will stop giving you opinion since I must be used to Bluetooth speakers and not all my B&W seperates and sub.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Interesting that you assumed I was talking about you personally.