Support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD for PLAYBAR

• 5 September 2013
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
In response to @ButterFinger74 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ButterFinger74/status/375270850699612162 Hey @Sonos, when are you going to start supporting Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD on your soundbar?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Similar to the older DTS support thread.
Impossible with the current Playbar hardware. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD cannot be passed by optical, only HDMI.
Not true, Jgatie. My Sony Blueray DVD player outputs Dolby TrueHD via optical connector. However, of course, it may still be impossible for the current Playbar hardware and/or software to decode the TrueHD coming in the optical port.
Not true, Jgatie. My Sony Blueray DVD player outputs Dolby TrueHD via optical connector. However, of course, it may still be impossible for the current Playbar hardware and/or software to decode the TrueHD coming in the optical port.
Yes, it is true. From the Blu-Ray forum's "A Guide to Home Theater Audio Codecs": DOLBY TrueHD Dolby TrueHD is a lossless compression codec. Although it is compressed to use less disc space than a PCM track, once decoded it is identical to the original master. Dolby TrueHD supports up to eight full-range channels (with room for expansion) of 24-bit/96 kHz audio (at the discretion of the studio) up to a maximum of 18Mbps bit rate. Support for Dolby TrueHD is optional for Blu-Ray players and mandatory for HD-DVD players. Cables Needed: Toslink (Optical) or Coaxial S/PDIF cannot carry a TrueHD signal and will automatically play the standard Dolby Digital AC-3 track instead. If the player converts the TrueHD to PCM, the signal can be transmitted over any version of HDMI. If the TrueHD signal is transmitted via bitstream, HDMI 1.3 will be needed. Multi-Channel Analog Cables can also be used (see footnote). http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41820
Userlevel 2
I sooooooooooo wanted the playbar, sub, and 2 x play:3 setup, but it was definitely a requirement that my HIGH END, HIGH PRICED sound system support whatever HIGH END sound track my bluray disc used. Alas, that is not sonos.

After being bummed for a couple months realizing that playbar (gen 1, at least) NEVER will work with lossless tracks because of toslink limitation, I finally went with another HIGH END, HIGH PRICED sound bar solution (Sony HTST7). The sound on HTST7 is second to none, and so is the interoperability. It consumes ANY codec, and the convenience of all the HDMI inputs, CEC, and ARC is an absolute breath of fresh air. 

Do I still wish I could include the family room (where my HTST7 is) on the multi-room listening? Yeah, on occasion. Maybe sometime in the future I will yearn for it enough to drop another $350 for the CONNECT, since my HTST7 even nicely interoperates with that.
Hi
how is the state after three months? "DTS" is Bluaray standard and here we have only stereo and not 5.1. With DVD we have AC3 5.1 but then a bad picture. Sonos advertises we bring your home theater to the rock. For me it rocks only in old DVD and not with Blueray.
What is the status?

@ All I do not like Facebook, but I have good connections to a few major newspapers in Germany publishers.
@WST But the Sony HT-ST7 Sound Bar is only virtual 7.1. Its no real surround as there are no rear-surround-speakers :-( 
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support is a key feature that really is needed if the Playbar is to be sold as a surround-sound product. It is a clear oversight and will continue to cause issues that require an unnecessary degree of knowledge about the issue to work around it and also limits the partnering equipment significantly in order to produce a working solution.
Userlevel 3
You mean by buying the Sony you can only get a poultry 5.1 channels?

That beats the hell out of my £2000 2 channel Sonos system.

Regrets.... I've had a few.
Userlevel 1
@ Aubrey - On the Sony it's not virtual 7.1, there are 7 distinct drivers which means each channel can be heard separately if the source is true 7.1, such as the Master DTS track or Dolby TrueHD. Of course it still relies on room acoustics to bounce the sound around you, but the fact remains that there are separate speakers for each channel, no matrixing or upmixing etc. This is why Sonos could have such a huge advantage if they supported DTS; it's the only 5.1 soundbar where you can actually have the speakers bonded behind you supporting each channel. And if they added HDMI on a playbar 2? 7.1 surround - an extra 2 play 1 speakers as well. Effectively, they would control the market that catered to those who wanted both ease of use AND those who wanted a true surround setup.
Until they fulfill their current order for all of the PlayBars from China....you won't see anything at all. Widgets...widgets...widgets.
The only way it could work on the playbar would be if they updated the software, and had an HDMI to Ethernet adapter.
I don't see any reason why the Playbar *has* to be the controller. Instead, they could use a windows / android app (driver) installed on one of endless number of popular streaming boxes to decode the audio and spit out the decoded sound to the appropriate speaker with available network bandwidth being the only limit on the number of channels supported. . . 9.2.2 anyone?
They could even make there own wireless box for decoded audio, maybe something like a firestick size to stick in back of tv so it cant be seen. But it seems like Sonos don't want to pay any more money for extra licenses to get audio formats like DTS, Dolby True HD, even though we pay alot more on thier products than other products who have all that for less. I honestly think Sonos would make more money if they allowed 7.1 sets ups. People would buy more speakers, they could state to have the best system on the market. You would find more people willing to pay the high prices Sonos charges if they offered more on thier products.