Question

Sub or 2 play 1's to go with my playbar?

• 24 July 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hello
I would like some advice .
I have a playbar which I love but had it a while and want to start adding.
As the cost is quite high I wondered if I should start with a sub or 2 play 1's first?
I really cant afford the sub and play 1's together as I really can't afford it just yet. Any suggestions please. Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It rather depends on what you do with the Playbar and/or what you will want to do in the future I think.

If you add 2 x Play 1s as surrounds then assuming you feed the Playbar Dolby Digital 5.1 you will get surround sound less the Bass channel. This would improve the enjoyment of films/TV which uses audio on the rear speakers. Also, the Play 1s would mean listening to music would be significantly enhanced (Of course ultimately the addition of a Sub would be best for music enjoyment!).

A sub would allow for the playing of the .1 channel so if you have films with heavy action/loud/shooting the sub would make a difference.

Me, I'd go for the Play 1s
Badge
Thanks for that. I was swaying forwards the play 1 idea to be honest.
I feed the playbar from my Sony Bravia android tv. Will this be a Dolby digital signal?
Badge +3
I'd go with the sub if I was you. Sonos doesn't support anything higher than standard DD 5.1. It then downgrades to 2.1 so most of your stuff will most likely play in 2.1 and your play1s will be sitting there doing nothing.

good thread on this here: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbase-sonos-no-longer-recommandable-for-home-theater-6766996

or look elsewhere if you really want a proper 5.1/7.1 system
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I am sitting here with 5.1 and Sonos. Go to Sonos, about my Sonos system, and see what the Playbar is getting, to be sure.

I would go with the Sub next IMO
Hello
I would like some advice .
I have a playbar which I love but had it a while and want to start adding.
As the cost is quite high I wondered if I should start with a sub or 2 play 1's first?
I really cant afford the sub and play 1's together as I really can't afford it just yet. Any suggestions please. Thank you

I have 2 play ones and sub ...with soundbar
Its worh it on all levrls ...
I recommend highly....
I use the playbar in isolation with a play1 and play3 in different rooms but my dad uses the sub with the playbar and I am very impressed with it, will definitely be taking the plunge when funds allow. My dad also has 2 play1's, purchased at the same time but deemed the playbar/sub setup sufficient so moved the play1's to different rooms. I guess each to their own but the sub is something else IMO
Playbase, sub, and 2 play 1s in a 24' x 18' Living room! TO coin a 80s classic hit "Lovin' Every Minute of It"! Add the Sub, then the Play 1s... JMO🆒