Answered

Sub not working on WiFi only ethernet

• 2 March 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi

I can't get my sub to work on WiFi only ethernet. 

When I connect it to ethernet everything works fine. 

I have no issues with my two ones that are set up for surrounds and connected via WiFi.

I've tried removing the sub from the setup, rebooting router, setting up the sonos WiFi channel to another., unplugging everything etc. Sub is literally less than 100 yards away from router, is seen in the app on WiFi but when turned on no sound, vibration for bass. 

Tested on 5.1 etc no difference. 

Not sure what I can do more as I don't have neighbours WiFi interfering on same channel etc

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 March 2020, 22:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Several potentials here, not sure which applies, as there’s not enough information in your post.

What Sonos speaker is your SUB bonded to?

Have you turned off Wi-Fi on any of your Sonos speakers?

When you look in the controller, under Settings>System, what does the room name look like for the room that has the SUB in it? It should be a room name, followed by parentheses. We’d be specifically interested in what shows up in the parentheses.

Sorry, so the set up is as follows

Beam connected to router ethernet 

Two Sonos ones connected via WiFi as surround setup 

Sub connected via WiFi

All assigned to one room set up. So in app shows +Sub+LS+RS bounded to beam 

Boost which is also connected via ethernet. 

Two Sonos ones in separate room set ups connected via WiFi. 

If I remove the WiFi from the beam will that kill the connection with the two surrounds? 

The SUB is connected to the Beam?

Yes, if you remove the wifi from the Beam, that will stop it from being able to connect to both the SUB and the surrounds. The ‘bonded’ speakers use a separate wifi signal than your 2.4Ghz channel to talk to each other, turning off the radio turns off that system.

So, with the room name being correct, we know that your router is aware of the SUB being connected through the Beam, that’s great. The next question becomes one of the signal, rather than the connection. Turn on the TV, and play a movie where you’d expect the SUB to be working. Open up the controller and go to Settings>System>About my System. Look for the area that describes the Beam, and tell us what the line that starts with “Line In:” says. I’m willing to bet that it currently says stereo, but would love to get confirmation of that. 

Also, what are you feeding the TV with? Are you watching a local channel on the TV’s tuner, or are you using some sort of cable box, game console, etc? 

As an aside, you don’t have to have both the Beam and the BOOST connected, just one will do, but that’s not going to have any impact on this issue, unless you’ve got one sitting on top of the other, creating interference. 

Which is also a good point to bring up. Since the SUB is connecting to the Beam on its own 5Ghz network, you need to be sure there’s nothing near the Beam, or the SUB, that could be interfering with that kind of signal. I’d think if there was something near the Beam, you’d be having issues with the surrounds, so I’d be looking in the vicinity of the SUB, and even try moving it to a different location/plug in the room to be certain.