Answered

Sub and surrounds showing up as ? with Arc

• 8 February 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge +1

My sub and surrounds show up as ? with my arc. I have submitted diagnostic 2022444264. I have removed them, factory reset, added them back, rebooted router and boost. Nothing worked. Up until today everything was fine. 
Please help.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 4 March 2021, 12:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

What brand is your router?

Badge +1

What brand is your router?

Supplied by xfinity. Doesn’t say what brand it is.

Userlevel 7

It could be an issue with the Wi-Fi 6 setting on your router. I found this on another forum:

Turn off WiFi 6 support on your XB7. Login to the router, then in the 2.4 GHz band, change Mode from 802.11g/n/ax to 802.11g/n. By removing the "ax" you make the router go from Wifi 6 to Wifi 5 support. You can do this on both the 2.4 and 5 bands.

Badge +1

It could be an issue with the Wi-Fi 6 setting on your router. I found this on another forum:

Turn off WiFi 6 support on your XB7. Login to the router, then in the 2.4 GHz band, change Mode from 802.11g/n/ax to 802.11g/n. By removing the "ax" you make the router go from Wifi 6 to Wifi 5 support. You can do this on both the 2.4 and 5 bands.

Tried it, no difference 

Userlevel 7

Have you tried setting it up without the Boost connected?

Badge +1

Have you tried setting it up without the Boost connected?

No, i could give it a shot. But not sure why I would need to do that, it’s has been working fine up until today. And I changed nothing going into this, just stopped working. 

The communication between Arc and its satellite speakers uses the speakers’ 5GHz radios.  So a failure of the 5GHz radio in the Arc would be a possible cause.  I wouldn’t spend too much time troubleshooting until that has been eliminated by the diagnostic.  You may want to hurry things along by calling Sonos Support with the confirmation number.

Badge +1

I do appreciate all the replies and help. But I am more confused as ever. Turned on the TV this morning, and everything was back to normal. Even with all the resetting and removing and rebooting that I did yesterday. Not sure I will ever be able to figure it out, just hope it doesn’t happen again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rrroscoe 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Does this issue still happen? If not, I’m glad, but I have found the probable cause and we can prevent it from happening again.

The issue is that although the surrounds normally connect directly to the Arc via dedicated 5GHz links, as @John B describes, when they don’t find the Arc they’re instead trying to find Sonosnet on channel 1, but yours is configured to be on channel 11.

To resolve this, please open the Sonos app and verify all rooms are showing - the following steps should not be performed when not all the speakers are connected to the system at large.

Select Settings » System » Network » Change Sonosnet Channel » 1

Wait a few minutes.

Now, change it back to 11 (I can’t tell which channel is best for you, but we’ll assume it’s 11). If you happen to know that your WiFi is on channel 11, channels 1 or 6 will probably be a better choice. If 1 is best, no need to bother changing again.

Once done reply here with another diagnostic number, tagging me, and I’ll double check that all has gone accordingly.

Badge +1

I have not had any other issues. But I will double check what you have described, thanks. 

Badge +1

My Sonos system is on channel  11. Not sure I want to mess with anything as all is good right now.

https://en.community.sonos.com/members/corry-p-8113798 ,  I did switch it to channel 1, didn’t lose anything and I left it there.  Diagnostic # 696236932

@Corry P 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rrroscoe 

Thanks for taking those steps, and for getting back in touch with the diagnostic.

That went perfectly. All your products are now operating on channel 1, together. 

Channel 6 is the quietest channel (I realised your Moves would tell me) in your location - if you have any playback interruptions, please switch Sonosnet to channel 6, but you’ll likely be fine as you are now (though as before, please make sure all your Sonos products are visible in the app before changing the channel).