State of Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge

Tagging @Corry P for visibility.

There are countless, well-documented threads all over these and other forums outlining issues with the LPCM implementation on both of Sonos’ eARC capable devices (Beam Gen 2 and Arc). The heavy hitters continue to be the incredibly low-volume, as well as popping and crackling when sound starts and stops. These are issues for a significant market share of folks (Apple TV users, PS5 users, Xbox users, etc.), and even more importantly, this is a feature that was released over 1.5 years ago. It would be really encouraging to know that these things are actually being considered/investigated.

Generally, we all really love Sonos and want to stick with it, but it’s becoming harder to do that when core issues (sound quality and performance) seem to take a back seat to more superfluous things (i.e. a voice assistant). From my vantage point, folks have a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to the recent dropout issue, and how the acknowledgment/ownership of that was walked back. There clearly is an issue, as everyone didn’t just begin to have network issues all at the same time (with the release of 14.6).

I understand the roadmap and implementation details are going to be kept close to the vest, but some acknowledgment and general hope that these things will be addressed would go a long way.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

While sure the lpcm implementation has its flaws, I haven't had any of the other issues you mention on my 5.1 Arc setup, no sound drop outs, no popping or scratching sounds and no issue for me with volume - the low volume thing sounds weird given how loud my setup gets - I've generally running volume around 10% of max any more and the sounds starts going through the floors of the house into other levels and at 40% the subwoofer starts rattling windows 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m out.  Pulled the trigger on a Bluesound HT solution plus a set to cover my turntable use.  If I like it, the whole house will be Bluesound within the week.  Not sure where’s I’ll dump by Sonos trash yet -- maybe I’ll drive up to Santa Barbara and leave it at their doorstep 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I will be glad to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I will be glad to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.  

Are you in SoCal?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Tagging @Corry P for visibility.

There are countless, well-documented threads all over these and other forums outlining issues with the LPCM implementation on both of Sonos’ eARC capable devices (Beam Gen 2 and Arc). The heavy hitters continue to be the incredibly low-volume, as well as popping and crackling when sound starts and stops.

Funny you should say this @jkossis. I also noticed that there can be a sound reduction (in terms of DB) when playing LPCM. However, during a recent issue, I performed a full factory reset and set everything back up as new. I then run the ‘Connect to TV’) and there was no more having to use 60+ on the sound. 

It certainly is still not as loud as Atmos, but it's very odd that a reset can see if get closer to that level. I have never quite figured it out! I always thought it had something to do with using more channels etc, but I am not sure that makes too much sense either…..

It appears the Sonos moderators have been at work since I last visited this thread. 

As a reminder, sales (and links to sales) are not permitted.