Answered

Splitting Airplay Video and Sound Between Apple TV and Sonos

• 8 January 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi, I have a Gen 2 Apple TV connected to the Sonos Beam for sound (via AirPlay), and a projector via HDMI for video. All is well. 

However, I want to be able to mirror my MacBook screen to the projector and play audio from the Beam. I can AirPlay from my Mac to the AppleTV then the projector no problem, but doing this sends the audio from AppleTV through the HDMI to the projector instead of the Beam.

Any clever ways to split the video and audio from my MacBook mirroring between ATV and Beam? Or is there a device I can buy to force the Apple TV audio to go the Beam instead of HDMI?

Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 January 2020, 02:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

This would be a question that might be best answered on an Apple forum. Sonos deals with the signal after it is received, you’re looking for a way to split the signal before Sonos receives it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Well he can still get advice here.

You basically need another source for the audio, does it have to be Airplay? If it’s from any streaming source, you should be able to set that up separately in the Sonos app, if it’s actual music on your phone, then we’ll need to go down the HD route.

Well he can still get advice here.

You basically need another source for the audio, does it have to be Airplay? If it’s from any streaming source, you should be able to set that up separately in the Sonos app, if it’s actual music on your phone, then we’ll need to go down the HD route.

Thanks for your response! I want to be able to mirror my MacBook. So, I have a feeling the best way to do it would be to airplay from my Mac to the Apple TV to get the video to the projector, and figure out a hardware way to get the audio from my Gen 2 Apple TV to the Sonos Beam? 

Thanks again 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

But where is the audio coming from? Apple Music, Spotify, mp3 files on the laptop?

But where is the audio coming from? Apple Music, Spotify, mp3 files on the laptop?

It’s for the projector, so it’s for video.

I want to be able to play video files on my computer via VLC, Quicktime etc, and project it onto my wall, while using the Sonos Beam as the speaker for it. 

You can totally do this, 

I streaming directly from Apple TV

Or you can stream from laptop to Apple TV.

You need to go to Apple TV setting 

Select Video and Audio

Choose Audio Output 

Choose Your Sonos “NAME OF THE ROOM”

And it should work. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You can totally do this, 

Select Video and Audio

Choose Audio Output 

And it should work. 

Agree. It will forget the choice from time to time, but you can always swipe down with the Apple TV remote on any stream, select audio and choose the Sonos speaker. The Apple TV should be able to pass on audio to the Beam over Airplay and continue playing video on the projector. 

You can totally do this, 

Select Video and Audio

Choose Audio Output 

And it should work. 

Agree. It will forget the choice from time to time, but you can always swipe down with the Apple TV remote on any stream, select audio and choose the Sonos speaker. The Apple TV should be able to pass on audio to the Beam over Airplay and continue playing video on the projector. 

This is nonsense guys. First of all Oleg, “Audio Output” under Video and Audio in Apple TV only leads to selection beween 16bit sound or auto mode. I think what you actually meant was to go to AirPlay settings and choose the output there.

Nonetheless, this doesnt work. I am having same issue like Kenji. Only way I was able to make this whole thing work is to connect MacBook with projector via HDMI cable and then I was capable of select my Sonos as audio output device in my Sound settings on my Mac. So in other words, video signal is sent directly via cable and audio signal is transmitted separately via airplay. There is always delay in audio/video, but that is adjustable for example if you use inna app for videoplayback. 

Cheers

I have this exact problem. Happens when I try to screen mirror from ipad or macbook.

to be clear the setup is Apple TV 4th, projector, sonos 5. An HDMI cable connects the apple Tv to the projector. When using the apple tv for Netflix for example, under settings in Apple TV the Audio choices are Apple TV (selected by default, and other airplay sources.) you have to first select the sonos then deselect the apple tv which would send audio to the projector’s mono speaker.

BUT that doesn’t solve the original poster’s question. Solutions include (while mirroring your screen) using an audio receiver. Hdmi from apple tv to receiver that passed video via HDMi to the projector, and then set the sonos or whatever for audio. Another solution is to use the apple homepod which doesn't have this problem.