Answered

Speech enhancement on Beam.

• 10 September 2020
  • 5 replies

I’ve just added a Beam to my system, and I want to be able to use Speech Enhancement.  I’ve got a Samsung TV, connected to the Beam via HDMI ARC, and everything seems to be working correctly. But . . . I know that Speech Enhancement is supposed to be available in the Now Playing tab.  But when I go into the app, what shows up in Now Playing is whatever music I played most recently on the system, and not what’s playing currently on the TV and the Beam.  So I can’t get to the Speech Enhancement button.  Any idea how to fix this? 

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 11 September 2020, 15:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @timgrieve.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post, let me help you out and try to figure this out.

To verify, have you selected your home theater speaker in the Rooms pane?

Toggle Speech Enhancement using iOS or Android

1. Turn on your TV and make sure TV audio is playing through your Sonos home theater speaker.
  2. Open the Sonos app.
  3. In the  System tab (Rooms tab if using the S1 Controller app), select your home theater speaker.
  4. Tap the Now Playing bar at the bottom to open the Now Playing screen.
  5. Tap the SpeechEnhanceBlack-24px.png Speech Enhancement icon to toggle Speech Enhancement on or off.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

OK, now I’ve figured it out – there’s one missing step in the directions. Once you open the “now playing” screen, you’ve got to find the correct “now playing” screen.  By default, mine seems to open to the room where music was last playing, even if I’ve already selected the TV Room/Beam on the System page.  But if you open the “now playing” screen, and you tap the name of the room at the top of it, you get an option to choose which “now playing” screen you want.  Once I’ve selected the room with the TV on that screen, I can access the speech enhancement feature.  It might be helpful to others to add this step to the instructions – or to update the software so that the right “now playing” screen shows up by default.  Thanks for your help! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @timgrieve.

Thanks for your immediate response and I’m so glad to hear that it was now sorted out.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

The speech enhancement on the Beam is subpar.  It is tinny and shallow sounding. It is not up to the Sonos standard. I have a 12 year old Vizio soundbar, ½ the price of the Beam that blows this speaker away. Is there a way to improve this with a firmware upgrade? Unfortunately my husband wants to keep it, but I’m ready to swap it out with my old Vizio and move this into the game room’s tv that’s only used to play video games. Awful product!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mfen.

Thanks for reaching out and my apologies for this experience.

This is something that needs a real-time or live investigation, for you may need to send us a video clip that captures the audio quality issue.

It would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look at it and expedite the process.

I personally suggest calling our phone folks for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.