Answered

Sound on Beam is worse than TV speakers

• 26 November 2018
  • 3 replies

I purchased and connected a Beam via HDMI-ARC, however the sound is very limited. I have to turn it up to 35 to hear the TV, while I'm in the room. It is connected to a Samsung UN55F6300AF. When I look at the TV sound settings, I see that the sound is processed through PCM rather than Dolby Digital. Dolby Digital is greyed out. Would connecting via optical cable produce a better sound? For music it sounds really good, like a SONOS should...but for TV it is not cutting it. I want to like this thing, since I love the Ones I own.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 November 2018, 00:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Connecting via HDMI or optical cable should be effectively the same. In both cases, it is just a digital signal that's being sent over to the Beam. What you probably need to do is go in to the settings on the TV and make some changes. But, the first thing you should do is make sure that the source you're watching is in Dolby Digital. So switch to a movie channel, or something that you're sure is in Dolby Digital before looking at the settings.....if the source is just in stereo, all you'll be able to choose is PCM.

I'm not familiar with Samsungs in general, but make sure that any "extra" processing is also turned off. If it has "extended surround" or "super bass", turn it off. Pretty much any "adjustment" that the TV will make to the sound will cause extra delay in getting the signal out to the Beam.

Once you've got the TV switched over to Dolby Digital, and you're watching show that has that as a signal, you'll be much more pleased with what you're hearing.
Thank you. I checked the settings again and everything is greyed out with the beam connected. When I disconnect it and reset the sound everything becomes available. The HDMI connection overrides everything.
Then I'd recommend that you call in to Sonos.

contact Sonos to discuss it.

The only settings that the Beam would be changing is ones that it can't interpret. So Dolby Digital should be available, but DTS should not. Stereo should be available, Dolby Atmos should not.