Answered

Sound keeps dropping out on Xbox Series X with Arc

• 27 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello

I’ve recently bought a QN800A Neo QLED 8K HDR as its got eARC I decided to upgrade my Play bar to a Arc.  Its’ linked up to two Sonos 1’s and sounds amazing when using the apps through the TV.  

It sounds great when gaming too, last night I was looking at reviews and one guy was on about ready player one as a great test of the Arc’s capabilities so I stuck the Blu-ray in my Xbox series X and realised through the app that it was only playing in multichannel ppm 7.1.  Then realised that you have to download the Dolby atoms app and set it up that way.  Sounded amazing blah blah… 

Turned the xbox on today to have a blast on Halo and the sound drops out intermittently, while it’s on it sounds fantastic but keeps dropping out.  

I’ve got it all set up as

TV settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode (Auto)

Digital output Audio Format (Passthrough)

Dolby Atmos Compatibility (On)

Xbox settings

Display 4K UHD 120 Hz

Speaker Audio HDMi Dolby Atmos for home theatre. (Additional options Allow passthrough)

Any ideas how to stop it dropping out? Its only started since I enabled Atmos on the Xbox.

icon

Best answer by Kemski 28 April 2022, 11:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Assuming the audio from the Apps built-in to the TV are still working okay, my own initial thoughts are that the HDMI handshake between the Xbox and TV has got corrupted in some way and it just needs unplugging from the TV and plugging back in again to setup their handshake again… maybe also power off the Xbox for a minute or two in-between disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable. If the problem persists, perhaps try a different cable between the two.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Assuming the audio from the Apps built-in to the TV are still working okay, my own initial thoughts are that the HDMI handshake between the Xbox and TV has got corrupted in some way and it just needs unplugging from the TV and plugging back in again to setup their handshake again… maybe also power off the Xbox for a minute or two in-between disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable. If the problem persists, perhaps try a different cable between the two.

Worked a treat Ken, but I also found a game propped up against the xbox blocking the fan so that might have had an effect too.  Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So it seems that workaround was temporary, I installed Netflix on the xbox and it worked fine no drop out, I uninstalled the Dolby Access app and reinstalled it still no good, after trying a few different cables reseting things etc… I’ve found the actual issue.

On the Dolby site it says that Xbox is working on a fix because the Dolby Atmos doesn't like 120Hz.  So I’ve had to change the settings to 60hz and it works fine.  

Don't know who issue this is?  Dolby are saying its Xbox, when I spoke to Xbox they said speak to Dolby.  

At least the Sonos isn't the issue. 

Badge

Sorry to dig up this message - but I too seem to have audio drop outs when running the Arc using 4k 120Hz on my Series X. I find that if I drop the audio to say 5.1 on the Xbox, I don’t get the audio drop outs, but hey that defeats the object of having Atmos!

@Kemski you mention that you found something on the Dolby site acknowledging that there’s an issue of Atmos at 120Hz. Would you mind sharing the link so I can keep tabs on it? Thanks!