Answered

Sony TV: No HDMI ARC and Optical Out

• 3 December 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
I am thinking of purchasing a Sonos Beam, but since my tv does not have a HDMI ARC or optical out connection, can i just plug the beam into a standard HDMI port for the sound. I understand that i will not be able to use voice controls to control the tv. Just wondering if the sound will still come through the beam if i connect to standard HDMI.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by MikeV 3 December 2018, 14:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Actually, HDMI-CEC can be done on any HDMI port, so you might actually still be able to control your TV with it connected to a regular HDMI port.

But the TV will only send audio back to the Beam over an HDMI-ARC connection. Regular HDMI connections are intended for the TV to receive audio, not send it back to the device connected.

You could always opt for an analog to digital converter with an optical output... connect the converter to the left/right analog outputs from your TV, then connect the Beam's optical adapter to the converter.