Question

Sonos system not playing audio from TV but doing fine with Spotify

• 7 September 2020
  • 12 replies

Our Sonos system is not outputting any audio from our streaming tv apps, but still playing music just fine from Spotify. How do I troubleshoot?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Do you mean music or tv program streaming? Does the sound play ok when you’re watching TV? Do you have a “box” to recieve tv programs are just the tv unit? How is your Playbar connected to the TV/box?

Badge

I have the same issue and have been trying to fix this problem for the past month. Apparently, tons of other people who have the same problem.

My new Sonos Arc is connected to my Sony X950G. It worked perfectly for the 1st week. Thereafter, sounds will not play randomly while watching a movie or when I turn on the TV. I have factory reset my TV and Sonos Arc without any progress. The issue persists. 

I've sent in diagnostic # but the Sonos representative couldn't find anything wrong with it. I changed all the settings on my TV and it didn't fix it. I tired using Sonos on just wifi and plugging it in.

There maybe a compatibility issue between Sonos and smart TV. One Sonos representative confirmed this with certain Samsung TVs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@freeman0712141978’s profile says he has the much older Playbar which uses the optical interface rather than HDMI/ARC variants, so I don’t think this is the same problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Assuming a Playbar and Optical, this is most likely due to the TV settings. It needs to be told to emit over optical, and to emit DD 5.1 (and not DTS or DD+).

if problems persist please share the TV model, Sonos device type, and how they are connected.

The issue happens when trying to watch tv / movies from streaming sources. The Playbar is connected via optical to the tv. The tv is a Sony Bravia model number XBR-75X95OG.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The issue happens when trying to watch tv / movies from streaming sources. The Playbar is connected via optical to the tv. The tv is a Sony Bravia model number XBR-75X95OG.

Thanks. Share the TV Audio settings.

TV Audio settings are:

Speakers: Audio System

Audio System Prioritization: on

Sound mode sync: on

A/V Sync: Auto

eARC mode: off

Digital audio out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus output: Dolby Digital

Pass through mode: auto

Sound mode: Dolby Audio

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I found some (poor) docs here: https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/gusltn2/v1/en-003/01-03-09_02.html

Audio System Prioritization should be OFF, it is some Sony crazy Bravia thing.

Digital audio out should be SOMETHING OTHER THAN AUTO (eg DD 5.1)

Possibly others too.

Thanks. I had to set the digital audio out to PCM and then increase the PCM output level….Problem solved...for now 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But PCM will only bring stereo? Would that not be a problem for you?

Yes that is a problem. Any other thoughts on how to correct the issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes that is a problem. Any other thoughts on how to correct the issue?

Select DD 5.1 instead of PCM, as I said earlier.