Answered

Sonos support of Dolby Digital

• 13 November 2019
  • 2 replies

I have a Samsung 8K QLED TV (dying for content) connected to a Sonos Playbar, Sonos Sub and Sonos Connect Amp that drives two in-ceiling rear speakers. The Samsung Connect One box and the Sonos Playbar are connected to my home network. The Connect One box receives my TV signal over HDMI. The Connect One connects to the Sonos Playbar via the digital audio cable. My readings suggest to me that in order to deploy Dolby Digital or DTS one must connect to the soundbar via HDMI Arc (way over my head here!). The Sonos Playbar does not have an HDMI Arc input. My simple question – Is the quality of my sound being compromised due to the lack of HDMI Arc on the Playbar and if so, is the solution to replace the Playbar with a soundbar that has an HDMI Arc port? Or, is there a tweak to my configuration that would enhance the surround sound experience to be comparable to Dolby Digital or DTS?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 November 2019, 16:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

First, Sonos can not interpret/play DTS.

Second, there is no difference in Dolby Digital carried by HDMI-ARC and a digital optical signal. Think of the postman delivering your mail using a van, or a truck. The mail is the same, the vehicle carrying it is different.  

Very helpful. Thanks!