Sonos, Samsung and Avantree

Badge +1

I need help please.  Reaching out to Avantree to fix my problem but getting no help with my new equipment.

I have the QN55Q8FNA Samsung Smart TV which has both the digital audio access and the HDMI ARC access as well as Bluetooth and Wi Fi.  I have hearing loss, so I purchased the Avantree wireless headphones and the Avantree Orbit transmitter so my wife can hear the audio from the tv speakers or Sonos Beam soundbar whuch we just purchased, at her preferred level and I can hear through the headphones at my preferred level.  Until I purchased and added the Sonos Beam Soundbar, I could hear through the Avantree Headphones and my wife could hear the tv speakers simultaneously and she and I could watch tv together.  We decided to add the Sonos as an audio improvement over the tv speakers.  I’m very disappointed that I can get no help to remedy this!  Should I return the orbit and get the Oasis Plus model?  What should I do?  The Sonos Beam sounds great but I cannot get it and the Orbit to work together! I have to get this fixed or one of them has to go.  Is there any one here who can help?
Thanks for your time,
Dan D

[Mod edited to remove personal information]

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Full disclosure: I have no experience with OASIS or your specific TV.

How are you connecting to BEAM? How are you connecting to the OASIS?

I read through the OASIS manual. Rather than using the HDMI ARC to connect to BEAM, try connecting the TV’s optical output to OASIS and use the BEAM’s optical dongle to connect OASIS to BEAM.

Badge +1

Hi Buzz, and thank you for the reply.  I don’t have the oasis, only the Orbit. Any ideas for that?  

Badge +1

Also Buzz, I have the orbit plugged into the HDMI ARC input to the tv, the Sonos Beam 

does not support Bluetooth either.  

Danny

Sorry, typo on my part. This is the document that i was referencing. Maybe this is not the model that you have.

Badge +1

Sorry Buzz, what document?

Click on the link and download the language of preference. Below is a different method of displaying the link: https://avantree.com/product-support/BTTC-580-TTN

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Beam will “steal” the sound from your TV when connected to HDMI. Other connected devices (like headphones) cannot be used together with the Beam. A solution for this, as given above, is to use the Beam with the optical adapter.

I have the orbit plugged into the HDMI ARC input to the tv, the Sonos Beam 

does not support Bluetooth either.

The Orbit has optical input and passthrough. It doesn't have HDMI.

If the TV can play through its optical output at the same time as its HDMI-ARC port:

• Connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI-ARC port
  • Connect the TV optical output to the Orbit. Set the output to PCM Stereo.

If the TV cannot play through its optical output at the same time as its HDMI-ARC port:

• Connect the TV optical output to the Orbit. Set the output to PCM Stereo.
  • Connect the Orbit optical output to the Beam via the optical/HDMI adapter
  • Note that the Beam will only play in stereo in this configuration, not 5.1
Badge +1

Not my day.  Now I can't get the dongle out of the tv optical port.  Maybe i can figure this out and yes, I took the runber tip off the optical adaptor before I plugged it in.  Once i get it out, i think, hope, this will work.  Thanks to all for your help.  I'll let yoi lmow how it tutns out.  Any ideas on getting the dongle back out?

Apart from wiggling gently, no.

If your TV optical port has a dust flap which rotates out of the way it probably also holds the plug in. In that case tugging too hard could risk shearing the flap’s axle pins.

Badge +1

to Ratty, Buzz and all:

The Sonos Opt dongle did in fact come out of the tv port after all.  Just gently moved it back and forth and it slipped right out, no problem.  Heres my set up ... all hooked up but still won’t work ....

Again, I have the QN55Q8FNA Samsung Smart TV which has both the digital audio access and the HDMI ARC access.  I’m not using the ARC HDMI.  I’m using the Digital Optical dongle instead.  Heres where I’m at being as precise as possible with each step.

So my wife and I can hear tjhrough the tv speakers as wrell as the Sonos soundbar at thesame time, Heres how I’m hooked up for the Sonos Beam Soundbar,  The Avantree Orbit and the Samsung QN55Q8FNA Smart TV:  But its still not working!

The Avantree Orbit is set to OPT and shows connected to Avantree Headphones with Headphone icon indicator showing connected,  it also shows connected to tv (however the tv connection also shows the headphone icon but with a slash through it).

Sonos hdmi out with the included optical dongle hooked up to “opt digital bypass” on Avantree Orbit, the Samsung tv Opt digital tv access is hooked up to the top Avantree Orbit digital opt access port.
The tv sound output on the menu is set to speaker.

Under expert tv settings on the Samsung tv menu:
the HDMI input audio format set to PCM
the Digital output audio format is set to PCM
the samsung Tv sound mode is set to standard

Can anyone look at this and help me understand what’s wrong with this hook up?  Am I doing something wrong here?  Very frustrating as it should be working now. 

Thanks for your help, We really aporeciate it.

Danny

So my wife and I can hear tjhrough the tv speakers as wrell as the Sonos soundbar at thesame time,

Do you really mean this? You don’t want both the TV speakers and Beam producing sound at the same time. The Beam is fractionally delayed so would produce a perceptible echo. In any case, why have a soundbar if the TV speakers are still audible?

Is this the only choice? You want the audio to come from the optical output. 

Badge +1

I guess I wasn't clear.  My wife doesn’t have hearing loss, so I wanted to have the sound for her as good as possible via a sound bar only, at her quieter volume, while I hear through the headphones only at my preferred volume.  Is that better?  We’d be hearing different audio sources but her Sonos audio would be better than having to listen to the tv speakers.

Userlevel 7

Hi @DannyD01 

I couldn’t find anything on the Samsung website reference your TV using the the model number you provided. However most menus for a particular manufacturer operate in much the same manner maybe with a few variations.

You should be able to set the TV output to Optical in the sound menu:

• Samsung > Audio Out/Optical

The connections for the Orbit should be:

• TV Optical -out  to Orbit Optical-in
  • Setting is OPT
  • Orbit Optical-out to Beam Optical-in

The above settings can be found at this link: 580 (storyblok.com

Note: It may require that you no loner use the TV remote to control the volume for the Beam. Instead use your iOS or Android device to control the Beams volume via the Sonos App. Doing so may negate the personal volume of the headphones being interrupted.

Badge +1

AjTrek1, Thank you for your response.  I will for sure look at the link you sent but I believe I’ve tried about every hook up possible already.  The Beam only has one HDMI port.  Thats it.  they’ve included an OPT dongle to use with an HDMI cable, which is what I’m using now to no avail.   I have used my Android phone for the volume when hooking up without the Sonos involved (before I bought it).  However with the Sonos included I can’t get any sound at all from the “TV Optical Out” setting, TV or Orbit.  Maybe this is just not meant to work although the Avantree site says it will work with any tv.  I will keep trying and again thank you for your response.  Danny

Userlevel 7

Hi @DannyD01 

You might call Orbit by clicking on:

• Support
  • Book a Call

Honestly, they don’t appear to make contacting them via phone simple. However, it’s the way of a lot of small companies (and big) to try and force the Chat vs phone.

DannyD01,

Work through this in layers. First connect BEAM to the TV via BEAM’s optical adapter. Once you have audio through BEAM and control of BEAM’s Volume, then insert Orbt in the path.

It might be easier to first hook up the Orbit to the TV, leaving the Beam out of it for the time being. Verify that the Orbit is actually getting audio and sending to the headphones. 

Then plug the Beam’s optical/HDMI adapter into the Orbit’s output.

Badge +1

Thank each of you.  I will work on this again today and do my best once again in layers both ways as you suggest.  I will also try to contact Avantree by phone.  Hopefully i’ll get better results. If not, sadly, the Sonos will get returned.  I know the tv and Orbit will work together, I’ve already done that.  I will let you know.

I know the tv and Orbit will work together, I’ve already done that. 

Via optical connection?

If so, adding the Beam by plugging its optical adapter into the Orbit optical output should just work. If it doesn’t I’d suspect the Orbit.

Badge +1

Reaching out to Sonos got me this ….  A footnote with this computer generated response told me I’d hear back from someone within the next 7 days.  7 days?  Seems to indicate an overload of problem issues they must have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos hdmi out with the included optical dongle hooked up to “opt digital bypass” on Avantree Orbit, the Samsung tv Opt digital tv access is hooked up to the top Avantree Orbit digital opt access port.

For the Sonos this would be an “in” not an “out” if I'm understanding your set up  correctly.

Reaching out to Sonos got me this ….  A footnote with this computer generated response told me I’d hear back from someone within the next 7 days.  7 days?  Seems to indicate an overload of problem issues they must have.

Seems to me to indicate the compromised staffing and location of their support teams during a global pandemic.

To return to the matter at hand, does the Orbit work with the TV when connected directly by optical? Without that operating successfully there’s no point in connecting the Beam to the Orbit.

Badge +1

Got it.  Will share details later today.