Answered

Sonos Playbar with LG G2 OLED

• 7 November 2022
  • 4 replies

hi guys

i recently bought a LG G2 and connected it to my SONOS Playbar (7 years old). things seemed well for a day or 2 but it started to get intermittent issues.

very frequently, when i turn on the power for both, and i turn on the TV, the there is no sound from the Playbar (output from TV is set to Optical Output). when i press the tv remote, the sonos only flashes the white LED when i Volume Down, but no light nor sound when i press Volume Up. Controls also not working from my iphone Sonos app when this happens.

then i go to the tv sound settings and change it to hdmi, and back to Optical, the sound comes back and everything works as it should.

Both devices are on the latest firmware.

the optical cable is connected properly (no issues on previous Sony TV).

could i have damaged the optical cable during the change of TV? what could have caused the above issue. or could it be the Ethernet cable that has issues?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 November 2022, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

I would unplug the TV and Playbar from power for a couple of minutes. If this doesn’t help, try a different optical cable. Also make sure TV Autoplay is enabled under the Playbar’s settings in the Sonos app.

Thanks I tried the unplug and power off thing. It worked, then the next time, the same thing happened. And I tried the same process, sometimes it doesn’t work too.
it’s an intermittent issue although it’s not working properly 80% of the time.

I will change an optical cable and try again. Thanks

replace the optical audio.

same issue persist.

anyone else have any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jimmy lee 

Thanks for your post!

Do you have any other devices that have an optical output, like a PC or cable TV box? If so, please test with them. If they work without issue, then it would be tempting to blame the TV for the issue.

I did notice, however, that you said “when i turn on the power for both”. Do you regularly remove power from both devices? If so, and if the TV starts feeding audio to the Playbar before the Playbar has finished booting up, it could well cause the issue you describe. Please try turning on the Playbar and allowing it to show a solid, white light before turning on the TV.

I hope this helps.