Answered

Sonos Playbar only shows Stereo PCM 2.0

• 1 January 2021
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Under the system tab bottom right. If the surrounds drop they will have question marks instead of L and R.

What format is playing can be seen on the room tab now.

Badge

No Q Mark's they have L&R next to each and the format is stereo PCM . TV is a 

82UM7600PLB

82'' LG ULTRA HD 4K TV

Surly that has dolby digital,  my sky q 2tb box does 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Don't know anything about the skybox. Maybe some stuff will be stereo maybe some will be surround. Try different things particularly movies or TV shows to see what you get.

Have you tried streaming apps on the telly to see what you get there?

Badge

Yeah I have as a matter of fact,  Netflix,  amazon prime and discovery plus all work fine Disney plus and YouTube only gets sound from the playbar , yeah movies and stuff work fine so it might just be certain things on tv that have 5.1 and that its bot my play comes that are faulty .

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I don't think Youtube is ever 5.1. Maybe the Disney+-app on your TV is stereo only too. If the system switches between 5.1 and stereo your surounds are not faulty. It's the source that's causing it.

Badge

Not bothered about Disney anyway I was just wondering eh , so theres nothing to worry about then I guess , I get 5.1 from everything else,  sky tv , Amazon prime  , Netflix,  discovery plus and so on .

I also am having this issue all of a sudden. I’ve been getting dolby 5.1 on prime video for the past month or two I’ve been using it constantly, within the past two weeks it only shows on the app  that it is playing stereo PCM. Nothing changed and I don’t think I have played with any connections, definitely not within the past week or two. I would have noticed. I will call sonos but I hope someone figures this out. All speakers are playing and sub but it sounds like, well, two way stereo. 

I also am having this issue all of a sudden. I’ve been getting dolby 5.1 on prime video for the past month or two I’ve been using it constantly, within the past two weeks it only shows on the app  that it is playing stereo PCM. Nothing changed and I don’t think I have played with any connections, definitely not within the past week or two. I would have noticed. I will call sonos but I hope someone figures this out. All speakers are playing and sub but it sounds like, well, two way stereo. 

I’m having this exact issue!  I got the brand new AppleTV and now everything coming through PCM from the AppleTV. However, if I use the apps built into my Sony x900 it is Dolby Digital Plus on my Sonos app. Not sure what to do…I’ve giggled many things and nothing working. 

Userlevel 7

@SilverSun Do you have Change Format and Immersive Audio set to Off on the Apple TV? If this setting still gives you stereo PCM, try setting Change Format to On and choose Dolby Digital.

FYI… since your TV is not equipped with eARC, it cannot play Dolby Atmos audio from the Apple TV 4K. Also, the Apple TV uses Dolby MAT so Dolby Digital Plus audio will play as Multichannel PCM 5.1 out of the Arc, unless you adjust the Change Format setting to Dolby Digital which will result in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

@SilverSun Do you have Change Format and Immersive Audio set to Off on the Apple TV? If this setting still gives you stereo PCM, try setting Change Format to On and choose Dolby Digital.

FYI… since your TV is not equipped with eARC, it cannot play Dolby Atmos audio from the Apple TV 4K. Also, the Apple TV uses Dolby MAT so Dolby Digital Plus audio will play as Multichannel PCM 5.1 out of the Arc.

OK. So I found Audio Format on my AppleTV. It was set to off. When I set it to On, it then displayed Dolby Digital 5.1. But not Dolby Digital Plus I get from the apps built into my TV. 
Then there is Audio Mode on my AppleTV and it’s set to Off. If I toggle it, it changes to 16 bit. So not sure what that’s doing. But you’ve helped greatly. Thank you!