Answered

Sonos Ones not working in 5.1 set up

Hi all

I have a 5.1 set up with a Samsung TV. Sonos beam, sub and two sonos ones.

The system works well with music however, when playing the TV there is no sound from the two sonos one surrounds

I have one of the sonos ones connected to my router as it would not set up totally wirelessly when I recently moved house and got a new internet connection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Janish

icon

Best answer by Janish 30 April 2020, 17:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Did this setup work in your previous house, or is it new?  Are you sure that the content your watching is in dolby digital 5.1?  If not, then you won’t get anything from the rear speakers.

Yes it worked in the previous place very nicely.

I checked the TV and it is dolby digital.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Make sure all sources, cable box, streaming devices, etc. are also set to bit stream or Dolby Digital.

Verified that. No difference unfortunately.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

If you play music through the setup rather than watch the TV, do you get sound out of the two Sonos One surrounds?

If you view “about My System” in the settings menu, are the Sonos Ones listed?

When watching TV with a known 5.1 audio source, refresh the “About My System” page and see what it says for Audio In: on the Beam. If it shows Stereo, rather than 5:1 then this means the system isn’t seeing the 5:1 signal and there won’t be anything coming through the surround speakers.

Answers to the above may help with further fault tracing.

Yes if I play music through the setup it works perfectly.

Yes in the My System all the components are listed.

TV - About My System. I see Sterio 2.0 for the Beam and nothing listed for the others

Thanks for the help so far 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

OK, from what you describe I think the issue is that the Beam is not receiving the 5.1 signal from the TV.

How is the Beam connected to the TV? 

Do you have any players (PS3/PS4/Blu-Ray/DVD etc) attached to the TV, or are you only viewing programmes on the TV itself? If you have other players, how are these connected to the TV 

It is connected to the tv by hdmi arc.

I have a cable box only connected to the tv by hdmi.

I watch Netflix and YouTube direct from the tv.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Is it possible that you used an older HDMI lead to make the connection from the Beam to the Samsung HDMI ARC socket when you moved house? I’m sure I have read somewhere that HDMI ARC is not supported on older specification HDMI cables.

Or the HDMI lead is not in the correct HDMI ARC socket on the Samsung?

Both the above assume you are actually watching something on the TV that has 5.1 Dolby Digital audio and that any audio settings for the TV are configured to output Dolby Digital 5.1. 

I don’t have Netflix so I’m not sure how you would establish if the Netflix video you are watching has a 5.1 soundtrack. 

If the HDMI connection is correct and you are using the HDMI lead that came with the Beam, then I would play a film on Netflix with a 5.1 DD soundtrack and then start checking any settings for the TV. As you make changes to any TV settings, keep closing and re-opening the “About my system” tab on the Sonos Settings page, to see if the Audio in shows as 5.1. You need to keep refreshing the “About My System” page by closing it and re-opening it as I don’t think it changes dynamically whilst open.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.  

Thanks Lohr500

The problem was that certain programs I was watching were not 5.1. I did you refresh method with different programs.

Thank you for troubleshooting the issue for you me, appreciate it.

Janish

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Glad to hear it's all OK.