Sonos for Computer Speakers

• 6 August 2018
  • 32 replies

I have read lots of threads here and on Reddit with naysayers indicating that Sonos does not work well as your home computer speakers and this is simply not true. If you have the budget, there is nothing that even comes close to Sonos for immersive sound for gaming etc.

I have been using Sonos as my go-to surround sound speaker system for my PC for the past 4 years without issue. I have also installed them through various versions of Windows without issues. The installation procedure is as follows:

If you do not have a Sonos system already go to step 2 below. If you do have a system already then you need the app on a tablet, phone or other device that is different from where you are going to install the computer Sonos system.

**Needed - 1 x Playbar or Playbase, sub if required and surround speakers (play 1 or 3) if required. Computer needs a sound card that has an optical output (most do). Make sure you have a random old remote around that has a volume control on it. Need an Ethernet connection for the Playbar/Playbase and a working Wi-Fi network (2.4ghz)**

**Make sure to create a new account with Sonos that is different from your other setups if applicable**

1. You need the Sonos app for your "other" system(s) on another device such as your iPad, phone or other computer so that you do not lose those setups.
2. If not new, factory reset your Sonos gear
3. If installed, delete the Sonos app from your computer
4. Connect Playbar/Playbase to internet and optical output from PC
5. Reinstall the app, launch it and when it asks, select "new system"
6. Name the room something that is not already being used in your home (can be whatever if this is your only Sonos system)
7. Go through the set-up screens and install the bar/base, sub (if required) and surround (if required)
8. Follow the program and set up the sound
9. Play the test pattern and everything should be good so far
10. Trick the app that you are not using a TV by using some old random remote and click on the volume button when requested.
11. Answer the question "saw the volume bar" or "saw nothing"...don't choose the 1st option or you will need to start again
12. Register the speakers when asked.
13. If you get errors registering the speakers, close the program and reopen it. Log in and register the speakers

You now have earth-shaking sound for your games! You can max out the volume on your PC and use the remote that you set up to control the volume or use the Sonos program for that. If you want to use your keyboard keys to control the volume instead, lower the output on your sound card and max out the Sonos program...either works well.

You can now use your computer to watch movies with surround sound, link to music services via the program or simply play games etc with amazing sound! My setup is a Playbar, Sub and 2 x Play 3 for surround.

Hope this helps everyone!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello, Drowfiend. Thanks for the detailed walkthrough! I, too, have Sonos set up as my computer speakers and playing games on a full Sonos system is "out of this world". Thanks again for sharing the knowledge!
Thank you for sharing this info!

I am thinking of replacing a set of old JBL computer speakers to a Sonos Beam in my home office. My Dell XPS tower has a sound card with optical output. Before my purchase, I have a couple of questions:
[1] Will the Beam connect to my PC using this instruction?
[2] Can I use the PC directly to set up the connection or do I have to use another device in addition to my PC?
[2]Will I need to create a separate Sonos account from the one that I use in my living room?
Hi tried to trick the app, but only option is "My TV is On". how to get past that stage. I don't have a remote to trick somehow.... thanks for your help....i am really keen to get this going for my PC
Badge
I have read lots of threads here and on Reddit with naysayers indicating that Sonos does not work well as your home computer speakers and this is simply not true. If you have the budget, there is nothing that even comes close to Sonos for immersive sound for gaming etc.

I have been using Sonos as my go-to surround sound speaker system for my PC for the past 4 years without issue. I have also installed them through various versions of Windows without issues. The installation procedure is as follows:

If you do not have a Sonos system already go to step 2 below. If you do have a system already then you need the app on a tablet, phone or other device that is different from where you are going to install the computer Sonos system.

**Needed - 1 x Playbar or Playbase, sub if required and surround speakers (play 1 or 3) if required. Computer needs a sound card that has an optical output (most do). Make sure you have a random old remote around that has a volume control on it. Need an Ethernet connection for the Playbar/Playbase and a working Wi-Fi network (2.4ghz)**

**Make sure to create a new account with Sonos that is different from your other setups if applicable**

1. You need the Sonos app for your "other" system(s) on another device such as your iPad, phone or other computer so that you do not lose those setups.
2. If not new, factory reset your Sonos gear
3. If installed, delete the Sonos app from your computer
4. Connect Playbar/Playbase to internet and optical output from PC
5. Reinstall the app, launch it and when it asks, select "new system"
6. Name the room something that is not already being used in your home (can be whatever if this is your only Sonos system)
7. Go through the set-up screens and install the bar/base, sub (if required) and surround (if required)
8. Follow the program and set up the sound
9. Play the test pattern and everything should be good so far
10. Trick the app that you are not using a TV by using some old random remote and click on the volume button when requested.
11. Answer the question "saw the volume bar" or "saw nothing"...don't choose the 1st option or you will need to start again
12. Register the speakers when asked.
13. If you get errors registering the speakers, close the program and reopen it. Log in and register the speakers

You now have earth-shaking sound for your games! You can max out the volume on your PC and use the remote that you set up to control the volume or use the Sonos program for that. If you want to use your keyboard keys to control the volume instead, lower the output on your sound card and max out the Sonos program...either works well.

You can now use your computer to watch movies with surround sound, link to music services via the program or simply play games etc with amazing sound! My setup is a Playbar, Sub and 2 x Play 3 for surround.

Hope this helps everyone!!!

Hi there, Thanks for this guide! I just bought the Sonos beam today. I was so excited. When I came home and tried to install it on my pc monitor I came to the conclusion that my monitor does not have an optical or HDMI-arc output (did not know this was required when buying). I was a little disappointed since this would mean that I would have to return the beam. I then found out I could hook it up to my pc directly! Though I did not use your guide I almost did all the same steps, I only did not setup a remote control (so I skipped those steps somehow) I think I got my beam configured really good. It took some time though. At first the 5.1 was off and the bass was turned off somehow. So the sound was horrible. But after some configuration the beam works perfect (I think?). Tested with some 5.1 test videos and I can hear 5 different channels. Only thing that is bothering me is that my pc says it is sending out 2 channel 44100Hz (16bit). I don't know if this is bothersome or not.

Only thing I need to get used to is that I need to switch from app to ''tv'' when I use google assistant since it will play spotify through a different streaming channel lol.

With that all said, I am happy with the Sonos! Such an upgrade from my old phillips sound bar. Now already looking to expand the sonos universe. Any tips on where to start?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the good guide!
I have read lots of threads here and on Reddit with naysayers indicating that Sonos does not work well as your home computer speakers and this is simply not true.
Those comments are from users that just want a speaker/speaker pair flanking their computer, that will replace the speaker inside the computer, to get stereo sound where available in the source, for everything that the built in computer speaker can play - things like streamed movies, youtube videos and the like.
Such a simple application needs speakers that do bluetooth - which Sonos does not - or have line in jacks to take a wired feed from the computer. The only Sonos speakers with line in jacks are the 5 units that are too expensive and are not easy to place on a desktop.
If the play 1 units had line in jacks, most of these complaints would have disappeared, but they do not, and neither do the follow up One models.
While your guide is good, it does not address the needs that are not being met by Sonos for this use.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
For surround audio, you need a soundcard that supports Dolby Digital Live via optical. I use Asus Xonar U7, but U5 and U3 also work, and Creative Soundblaster Omni and X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

If you don't have Dolby Digital Live support, the sound coming out of optical on PC will be stereo (2ch) PCM. You need DDL to have 5.1 signal output in AC3 format.

P.S. Beam is really good as a computer speaker in this configuration.
Badge
For surround audio, you need a soundcard that supports Dolby Digital Live via optical. I use Asus Xonar U7, but U5 and U3 also work, and Creative Soundblaster Omni and X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.

If you don't have Dolby Digital Live support, the sound coming out of optical on PC will be stereo (2ch) PCM. You need DDL to have 5.1 signal output in AC3 format.

P.S. Beam is really good as a computer speaker in this configuration.

Thanks for this! In the settings of the sonos app I can see that the output is stereo. I have the optical plugged in directly to my pc’s motherboard (an older motherboard) so if I would buy the asus xonar U3, plug the optical in that, instal creative soundblaster omni and x-fi surround 5.1 pro I get better sound quality?

I know I can’t get surround sound with the beam alone, but right now I am not using the beam optimally (Don’t get me wrong, the sound is already amazing as is!)? I want to get two sonos one’s as soon as possible but probably not this month.

Would you happen to know if dolby 5.1 is automatically supported when using an ARC hdmi port? I want to buy either a sound card/usb or an hdmi to HDMI-ARC converter (don’t know if this works, need to look into this).

Man setting this up on pc is harder then I expected lol. Would love to get my switch and ps4 (and blu-ray) sounds on the beam as well.

Thanks in advance!

edit: my pc says in the sound setting that dolby is supported, the test triggers all 5 speakers (and bass) in the beam but I will need something like the xonar to also use this as output?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for this! In the settings of the sonos app I can see that the output is stereo. I have the optical plugged in directly to my pc’s motherboard (an older motherboard) so if I would buy the asus xonar U3, plug the optical in that, instal creative soundblaster omni and x-fi surround 5.1 pro I get better sound quality?

U3, U5, U7, X-Fi, and Omni are all USB sound cards. :)
They have their own drivers you need to install.

Try finding DDL in sound settings, I found a screenshot, look here: https://i.imgur.com/4oijLJG.png . you need to set output to Dolby Digital Live. Then, you get 5.1 output via optical. If you don't have this option, your motherboard does not support it and you need a new soundcard that has this option.

Seems Asus is abandoning their sound card line, so your best bet would be Soundblaster Omni in order to be future-proof. It is the newest one of the bunch, likely to receive driver updates the longest.

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

Regarding HDMI, there are some workarounds, but these require use of modified drivers and disabling some crucial security features of windows for those to work. I don't recommended this personally, but you can try it at your own risk. Normally, sound over HDMI is uncompressed LPCM that can go up to 8 channels, but Sonos cannot use that signal. If you used a soundbar that had HDMI passthrough and supported multi-channel LPCM, or an AV receiver then you wouldn't have any issues getting 5.1 surround sound from HDMI.

edit: for PS4, just use optical out, and set optical to output dolby digital. 🙂
Badge

U3, U5, U7, X-Fi, and Omni are all USB sound cards. :)
They have their own drivers you need to install.

Try finding DDL in sound settings, I found a screenshot, look here: https://i.imgur.com/4oijLJG.png . you need to set output to Dolby Digital Live. Then, you get 5.1 output via optical. If you don't have this option, your motherboard does not support it and you need a new soundcard that has this option.

Seems Asus is abandoning their sound card line, so your best bet would be Soundblaster Omni in order to be future-proof. It is the newest one of the bunch, likely to receive driver updates the longest.

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1
Regarding HDMI, there are some workarounds, but these require use of modified drivers and disabling some crucial security features of windows for those to work. I don't recommended this personally, but you can try it at your own risk. Normally, sound over HDMI is uncompressed LPCM that can go up to 8 channels, but Sonos cannot use that signal. If you used a soundbar that had HDMI passthrough and supported multi-channel LPCM, or an AV receiver then you wouldn't have any issues getting 5.1 surround sound from HDMI.

edit: for PS4, just use optical out, and set optical to output dolby digital. :)

Thanks a lot! I use nintendo switch in handheld most of the time so that's no problem. And thanks for the tip on the ps4, that works! Would have been best if I had a screen with a ARC-output but unfortunately I don't. Also my pc does not have the DDL 5.1 option so I would need a soundcard.

The workaround seems like a lot of trouble. The thing I was talking about is the following: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/mini-hdmi-arc-adapter-audio-video-splitter-4k-3d-1080p-toslink/9200000077113009/?productId=9200000077113009&language=en this device should make a fictional HDMI-ARC port. If I am correct, would I be able to use ARC from screen, all devices (including PC) which are plugged into the monitor are channeled to the sonos beam?

Last question: is if worth to get the soundcard (to go DDL 5.1) with only the beam so far? (plan to get two sonos one's in the near future!).

Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
You still need to generate Dolby Digital encoded signal on PC, and then output it via HDMI in any case, and for that you need modified drivers. So, the splitter will not be of any use in this case. But it is good to have it! I have an almost identical one to fix lip sync lag that my TV generates.

Regarding is it worth getting the soundcard... That is VERY subjective. I got my second-hand cheap. Also, try playing PS4 in PCM stereo and Dolby and compare the differences. You have the ability to hear the difference, so that will help you decide. :)

edit: Personally, I don't have rears yet either, but I do have a sub. Dolby content does have a dedicated LFE channel, and it does sound better to me with a dedicated sub. Also, Dolby encoded seems to have better directionality than stereo, but this might be subjective. As I said, try for yourself with PS4, and pay attention to differences. Also, if you have an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, do TruePlay tuning! Borrow one if you need. Re-tune it again if you move it. It affects the sound quality, especially in home theater (dolby content) use case!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@Drowfiend

Please add Dolby Digital Live compatible soundcard to the needed items list in order to get 5.1 surround sound instead of just expanding stereo to more speakers. 🙂
Badge
You still need to generate Dolby Digital encoded signal on PC, and then output it via HDMI in any case, and for that you need modified drivers. So, the splitter will not be of any use in this case. But it is good to have it! I have an almost identical one to fix lip sync lag that my TV generates.

Regarding is it worth getting the soundcard... That is VERY subjective. I got my second-hand cheap. Also, try playing PS4 in PCM stereo and Dolby and compare the differences. You have the ability to hear the difference, so that will help you decide. :)

edit: Personally, I don't have rears yet either, but I do have a sub. Dolby content does have a dedicated LFE channel, and it does sound better to me with a dedicated sub. Also, Dolby encoded seems to have better directionality than stereo, but this might be subjective. As I said, try for yourself with PS4, and pay attention to differences. Also, if you have an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, do TruePlay tuning! Borrow one if you need. Re-tune it again if you move it. It affects the sound quality, especially in home theater (dolby content) use case!

Thanks a lot. You helped me a ton!!!

So if I am correct, to sum it all up, in order to get DDL 5.1 I will need a sound card that supports that. I could get a HDMI-ARC splitter, this will allow me to get pc, nintendo switch and ps4 (everthing plugged into the monitor) to send sound to the Sonos, however it will not be in DDL 5.1 since it cannot be transported through HDMI?

Thanks again!!

EDIT: call my unlucky. Just found out that Sony decided to cut the Optical output on the PS4 Slim models (it is on the PS4 first gen and the PS4 Pro). Guess what model I own 😞.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So if I am correct, to sum it all up, in order to get DDL 5.1 I will need a sound card that supports that. I could get a HDMI-ARC splitter, this will allow me to get pc, nintendo switch and ps4 (everthing plugged into the monitor) to send sound to the Sonos, however it will not be in DDL 5.1 since it cannot be transported through HDMI?

I'm not exactly sure how HDMI-ARC splitter works, but a non-arc extractor/splitter that I have takes the HDMI input (from source), and puts out whatever sound that is carried via HDMI and outputs it via optical, while forwarding both audio and video via HDMI out to the TV.

My guess for HDMI-ARC you linked to, it gets audio from TV via ARC. So, the hdmi OUT on the extractor is actually also audio in via ARC, and then it will output that sound to optical. But it's a guess, I haven't used that. Plus, the page is in Dutch, and I don't understand a lick of it.

edit: HDMI extractor will not convert any signal to a different one. If you put Dolby Digital in the stream via HDMI, it will output Dolby Digital via optical. If it is 2ch PCM, it will output PCM. If you put in DTS, it will output DTS via optical (but Sonos will not decode that, you'd get silence only).

Xbox and PS4 can output dolby(they have DDL implemented via optical and HDMI) via HDMI, and extractor will just take it and output it via optical.

EDIT: call my unlucky. Just found out that Sony decided to cut the Optical output on the PS4 Slim models (it is on the PS4 first gen and the PS4 Pro). Guess what model I own 😞.

Sorry to hear that... But if you get the HDMI extractor, and connect your beam to it via optical, you should get Dolby Digital...

Does your TV have optical out? Set Playstation to Dolby digital (not dolby digital plus!!!!) output via HDMI, and try setting your TV to output Dolby via optical.
Badge

I'm not exactly sure how HDMI-ARC splitter works, but a non-arc extractor/splitter that I have takes the HDMI input (from source), and puts out whatever sound that is carried via HDMI and outputs it via optical, while forwarding both audio and video via HDMI out to the TV.

My guess for HDMI-ARC you linked to, it gets audio from TV via ARC. So, the hdmi OUT on the extractor is actually also audio in via ARC, and then it will output that sound to optical. But it's a guess, I haven't used that. Plus, the page is in Dutch, and I don't understand a lick of it

I see, as far as I can tell these converters put HMDI in from TV and then create a HDMI-ARC output, so I could link the sonos bar with the HDMI cable (no optical needed).

Sorry to hear that... But if you get the HDMI extractor, and connect your beam to it via optical, you should get Dolby Digital...

Does your TV have optical out? Set Playstation to Dolby digital (not dolby digital plus!!!!) output via HDMI, and try setting your TV to output Dolby via optical.

My tv and ps4 both do not have a Optical output, since my ps4 is the slim model and my ''TV'' is actually a really big gaming monitor lol.

p.s. been doing research on sound cards, since that seems to be the best option (since I don't know much about the HDMI-ARC converters) and does it need to be Dolby digital Live 5.1 or is Dolby Digital 5.1 also good enough?

Thanks once again 😉.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

p.s. been doing research on sound cards, since that seems to be the best option (since I don't know much about the HDMI-ARC converters) and does it need to be Dolby digital Live 5.1 or is Dolby Digital 5.1 also good enough?

Dolby Digital is a format, Dolby Digital Live is encoder implementation what you need to encode 5.1 system sound to Dolby Digital format in real-time.

Your current optical out can play Dolby Digital from movies for example (try playing Dolby Digital AC3 movie via VLC player(in options you have the ability to bitstream), or any surround sound movie via KODI that has been set to passthrough, and to transcode to dolby. The problem is that is pre-encoded content. DDL is a system that encodes system sounds in REAL TIME to dolby. So, DDL is a MUST for a soundcard. Also, make sure soundcard is compatible with Windows 10. Most DDL soundcards are older models, and might not have W10 drivers, or like some cards they have DDL on windows XP, Windows 7, but not on windows 10. They have the driver, but without ddl for W10. That's why I suggested Soundblaster. They seem to have that covered.

Thanks once again 😉.

You're welcome!
Badge

Dolby Digital is a format, Dolby Digital Live is encoder implementation what you need to encode 5.1 system sound to Dolby Digital format in real-time.

Your current optical out can play Dolby Digital from movies for example (try playing Dolby Digital AC3 movie via VLC player(in options you have the ability to bitstream), or any surround sound movie via KODI that has been set to passthrough, and to transcode to dolby. The problem is that is pre-encoded content. DDL is a system that encodes system sounds in REAL TIME to dolby. So, DDL is a MUST for a soundcard. Also, make sure soundcard is compatible with Windows 10. Most DDL soundcards are older models, and might not have W10 drivers, or like some cards they have DDL on windows XP, Windows 7, but not on windows 10. They have the driver, but without ddl for W10. That's why I suggested Soundblaster. They seem to have that covered.

Thanks once again 😉.
You're welcome!

Alright everthing is clear for me now. Just found out that when using a HDMI-ARC splitter, 99% of the time the sound that is on output can only be played on 2 channel (stereo) so that ain't worth it. Think I will buy the Creative Sound blaster omni since that would be most convenient (through USB).

Unfortunately I can't use my Switch and/or my PS4 on the sonos system for now.

p.s. If my monitor would have had an ARC-out port, would it also have been stereo output or would I have been able to switch my pc and ps4 to DD?

You sir are a live saver, this helped me put off a lot of stress. Almost had regreted buying the beam (since it would not have been compatible for me), but I am glad I can work around it like this. The sonos products are awesome!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Alright everthing is clear for me now. Just found out that when using a HDMI-ARC splitter, 99% of the time the sound that is on output can only be played on 2 channel (stereo) so that ain't worth it. Think I will buy the Creative Sound blaster omni since that would be most convenient (through USB).

I use HDMI extractor and I get DD 5.1 if the source puts out DD 5. YMMV

p.s. If my monitor would have had an ARC-out port, would it also have been stereo output or would I have been able to switch my pc and ps4 to DD?

I don't know of a single monitor that has HDMI-ARC. In case of a TV with ARC, any content, be it smart tv app, hdmi 1, hdmi 2, etc. can relay audio via ARC. Something like this may be a solution for you:

https://www.amazon.de/Tendak-Umschalter-Extractor-Fernbedienung-Unterstützung/dp/B07KYHY5HP/ref=sr_1_20?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=SWPF56B5YPLL&keywords=hdmi+splitter+optisch&qid=1562526084&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+splitter+opti%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-20

But I cannot guarantee, all of these splitters and extractors are Chinese no-name models.

EDIT: in case of a splitter like this, you'd still have to physically reconnect optical from splitter to soundcard. Still not an ideal solution...

You sir are a live saver, this helped me put off a lot of stress. Almost had regreted buying the beam (since it would not have been compatible for me), but I am glad I can work around it like this. The sonos products are awesome!

If Yamaha supported Google Play Music and Audible, I'd have returned my Beam and gotten their soundbar that has the ability to add wireless surrounds in the same way like Sonos. But Sonos has a superior software and much better support of various services, like Google Play Music.

By the way, check out Ikea-Sonos Symphonisk line. They will have $99 speaker that can be used as a surround speaker. The announced it mid-august. At 1/2 the price of One, it might be a good choice for a surround satellite.
Badge

I use HDMI extractor and I get DD 5.1 if the source puts out DD 5. YMMV

I don't know of a single monitor that has HDMI-ARC. In case of a TV with ARC, any content, be it smart tv app, hdmi 1, hdmi 2, etc. can relay audio via ARC. Something like this may be a solution for you:

https://www.amazon.de/Tendak-Umschalter-Extractor-Fernbedienung-Unterstützung/dp/B07KYHY5HP/ref=sr_1_20?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=SWPF56B5YPLL&keywords=hdmi+splitter+optisch&qid=1562526084&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+splitter+opti%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-20

But I cannot guarantee, all of these splitters and extractors are Chinese no-name models.

If Yamaha supported Google Play Music and Audible, I'd have returned my Beam and gotten their soundbar that has the ability to add wireless surrounds in the same way like Sonos. But Sonos has a superior software and much better support of various services, like Google Play Music.

By the way, check out Ikea-Sonos Symphonisk line. They will have $99 speaker that can be used as a surround speaker. The announced it mid-august. At 1/2 the price of One, it might be a good choice for a surround satellite.

Yea don't think it is worth to stick money in those chinese extractors/converters for now. The soundcard should provide for the best daily music (I stream netflix, music (spotify), games and 90% of my content through pc). Every once in a while I watch a blu-ray so it ain't a must to get my PS4 hooked up. I did however find a workaround device that can get my ps4 an optical output if necessary.

Thanks for the tip on the IKEA set!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yea don't think it is worth to stick money in those chinese extractors/converters for now. The soundcard should provide for the best daily music (I stream netflix, music (spotify), games and 90% of my content through pc). Every once in a while I watch a blu-ray so it ain't a must to get my PS4 hooked up. I did however find a workaround device that can get my ps4 an optical output if necessary.

Be sure to use Windows 10 netflix app from app store! That's the only way to get 5.1 surround sound when streaming via PC. Also, for Blu-Ray, if the disc uses DTS, you'll either get silence or stereo. But, XBOX one actually can transcode dts to dolby...

As I said though, for PC, if you have files that contain DTS encoded sound, try KODI. It has options (expert/advanced menu) to passthrough and transcode to Dolby.
Badge

Yea don't think it is worth to stick money in those chinese extractors/converters for now. The soundcard should provide for the best daily music (I stream netflix, music (spotify), games and 90% of my content through pc). Every once in a while I watch a blu-ray so it ain't a must to get my PS4 hooked up. I did however find a workaround device that can get my ps4 an optical output if necessary.Be sure to use Windows 10 netflix app from app store! That's the only way to get 5.1 surround sound when streaming via PC. Also, for Blu-Ray, if the disc uses DTS, you'll either get silence or stereo. But, XBOX one actually can transcode dts to dolby...

As I said though, for PC, if you have files that contain DTS encoded sound, try KODI. It has options (expert/advanced menu) to passthrough and transcode to Dolby.

I see, I am using windows 7 still lol. But if I would get the Sound blaster Omni all sounds will be converted to DD 5.1 right? Found out that my brother has the older ps4, so I am going to test on that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yea don't think it is worth to stick money in those chinese extractors/converters for now. The soundcard should provide for the best daily music (I stream netflix, music (spotify), games and 90% of my content through pc). Every once in a while I watch a blu-ray so it ain't a must to get my PS4 hooked up. I did however find a workaround device that can get my ps4 an optical output if necessary.Be sure to use Windows 10 netflix app from app store! That's the only way to get 5.1 surround sound when streaming via PC. Also, for Blu-Ray, if the disc uses DTS, you'll either get silence or stereo. But, XBOX one actually can transcode dts to dolby...

I see, I am using windows 7 still lol. But if I would get the Sound blaster Omni all sounds will be converted to DD 5.1 right? Found out that my brother has the older ps4, so I am going to test on that.

Unfortunately, no. Netflix via browser is only stereo. As far as I know, all streaming services offer only stereo via web browser.

Edit: Fire TV stick does have 5.1 with Netflix. That's how I watch. Fire TV - > HDMI extractor -> HDMI to TV, Optical to Beam.

As for conversion to 5.1, you need 5.1 source material to get 5.1 output. Games need to support 5.1 to get true 5.1 out.

Edit 2: Solution for netflix: Get hdmi extractor, get netflix app for ps4. Connect HDMI to extractor, then optical to beam, and hdmi out to monitor.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Try netflix app on that PS4, it should output dolby digital 5.1.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

You need 5.1 source material to have 5.1 output. Also, all streaming services offer only stereo over web browsers.
Badge

Try netflix on that PS4, it should output dolby digital 5.1.

Just listened to dolby digital 5.1 through my brothers ps4. The sound gets harder and clearer. It is indeed an upgrade from stereo. Checked with the app to make sure I got DD 5.1.

But since you said I still need netflix app to get 5.1 even with the new sound card, what use does the sound card have for me now? Wouldn’t the soundcard only be an upgrade when I get more speakers (for the real 5.1 surround)?

Edit: my netflix desktop app would have DD 5.1 then?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Try netflix on that PS4, it should output dolby digital 5.1.
Just listened to dolby digital 5.1 through my brothers ps4. The sound gets harder and clearer. It is indeed an upgrade from stereo. Checked with the app to make sure I got DD 5.1.

But since you said I still need netflix app to get 5.1 even with the new sound card, what use does the sound card have for me now? Wouldn’t the soundcard only be an upgrade when I get more speakers (for the real 5.1 surround)?

You'd get surround for games for example. Even though you don't have surrounds(rear speakers), you'd notice difference like that you just noticed with PS4. The Beam is actually 3.0 soundbar, so you'd get some additional directionallity. If you only watch movies from files(!!!), you can use KODI to transcode and bitstream dolby via existing optical out. In this case, you don't need the soundcard.

Also, be sure to move the soundbar as fas away from you as you can without putting obstacles in front of it to allow for the directionality effect. It was designed to serve as a sound bar for a TV, meaning some distance from the viewer.

And every time you movie it, do a trueplay tuning. And try to elevate it a little bit if it is far back on the desk. The sound waves bounce off the desk panel in front of it, so if you elevate it a little bit, you reduce this reflection, and improve the sound quality. Also, the closer it it vertically to your ear level, the better it will sound.

edit: if you have win 8 or 10, windows netflix app will give you 5.1 in combination with the DDL soundcard.

edit 2: try netflix app on PS4 as well!