Question

Sonos Connect unrecognized and losing connection constantly

• 18 December 2017
  • 24 replies

Badge
I have a Sonos Connect connected to my stereo and 3 sonos:1 speakers. My Sonos Connect will not stay connected to the network and when it does, only works for a short period of time before I need to unplug and re-plug it. Even that sometimes will not work to get it back on the network. Is Sonos Connect so sensitive that it needs to be so far away from any other wireless hardware? I have no connectivity problems with any other devices, including Apple TV, PCs, phones, iPads, etc. I recently connected the Connect again and ran a diagnostic: 8234741

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, kdancyger. Thanks for posting and for the diagnostic report. The diagnostic report shows about 41 seconds of uptime for the CONNECT. We need the CONNECT to stay on a little longer, before submitting the diagnostic report. This will allow the unit to collect data on its surroundings and the network. Please submit another diagnostic and I'll be happy to take a look. Thanks again!
Badge
Ok -- Had a really hard time reconnecting tonight... Took several reboots but here is the new diagnostic report: 8245348. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the new diagnostic report. Just as you brought up, the biggest error I'm seeing is electronic interference from devices physically nearby. Can you tell me a little more about the physical location of the CONNECT? Is it, by chance sitting on top of an amplifier?
Badge
Ha. Not on top but up and to the side... I thought that was the whole point -- to make my amp Sonos Compatible... How far does it have to be? I'm connected directly to Apple TV which is connected to the amp so not sure how far away I can get...
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The wireless antennae in the CONNECT are on the bottom towards the feet of the unit. This means if you were to place the CONNECT on an amplifier powering speakers, you'd run into some physical electronic interference errors. To address this, we normally say about 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) of separation should suffice. Next to the amp shouldn't be a problem so long that distance is maintained and it's not on top of another electronic device.

If you feel comfortable with the idea, perhaps you can upload a photo of the CONNECT's immediate surroundings? I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can advise on a good place for it.
Badge

Yes. Pic attached. I recently moved the Sonos Connect the top left shelf. Just to the right of the Sonos is an Apple TV, and under that is the amp.
Badge
Performed a factory reset yesterday -- it was a desperate attempt to get back online. I finally got the Connect back online today but it has still not been keeping it's connection. I submitted a new diagnostic report: 8306846.
Badge
Any update here? I just today created a sonosnet with a Play 1 and the connect at first only connects through wifi and not sonosnet, then drops off the controller entirely. I've rebooted the router and the connect several times.

Just rebooted Connect again -- here is my new diagnostic report: 8332127. Also screenshot of About Sonos below. Notice the Connect is WM 1 and my Play 1's are WM 0

Badge
Newest diagnostic report after an hour of connectivity. Connect still says WM 1 and audio is cutting out a bit: 8332248
You might get a faster response via one of their other methods of contact. Click on "Contact us" at the bottom of this page, then on the link at the right "Skip for all options" on the next.
Badge
Thanks!
Badge +3
Just curious but wouldn’t kdancyger be better off if the Connect were not enclosed within that shelf with the closed door? Would not the connectivity be much improved if the Connect were out in the open?
Badge
Good question. But I do have an Apple TV in there that has no connectivity problems. Also, since my stereo is in there I have no way of placing the connect up and out in the open.
Badge +3
I would recommend, as a trial, to pull the Connect out in the open and pass the cable thru the open door to the stereo just to see if that may be the problem. If you find that the connectivity is improved and that was the problem, then place a tiny opening (most cabinets made for stereo components do have a hole in the rear) thru the rear of the cabinet and pass the cable thru that opening to your stereo. Just try it first so it is reversible if our theory is wrong.

I am not an expert by any means, but I also believe that your devices and components should have some ventilation to guard against heat buildup.
Badge +3
Kdancyger,
How bout an update to your noncondivtity issue?
Badge
Sorry. I opened a ticket with Sonos and so far nothing has worked. I’m finally able to connect all of my speakers and the Connect to the Sonosnet WM 0 but the Connect only stays connected for an hour at most before it disconnects and goes to flashing white LED. I’m working on setting up a call with Sonos to trouble shoot.
Have you fixed your issue with Connect? I am experiencing exactly the same for the last few weeks.... Tried all the above - nothing works. I have placed a ticket with Sonos support but perhaps you can also provide me some clues?
I have had my connect hardwired to my orbi router with a cat6 for about 2 years with no problems and all of sudden i am experiencing the same connectivity issues requiring hard resets and reconfigurations...this has been frustrating.
placed on a shelf about 2.5 feet from my amp and at least a foot from the router... i resetup the connect tonight and chanced upon the wireless option in its advanced settings and toggles to disable the wifi and it immediately white lighted and is unrecognizeable. to be honest, i did not even know this had a wifi feature as ive always ran it hardwired and prefer it that way, but now think this may be part of the issue...

First, stop with the hard resets, by which I think you mean a factory reset. That's probably going to be less of a help than you think, and basically erases any data that might help Sonos help you.

I'd be tempted to move that a little further away from that Orbi device, usually 3 feet tends to be recommended. At the very least, move it to the other side of the elephants. I'd honestly be tempted to move it up a shelf, too. That picture frame looks like it's electrically driven, which could be an issue.

Next, I'd do a refresh of your LAN. Unplug the CONNECT, as well as all of your other Sonos speakers from power, then do a full reboot of the Orbi network (the main hub and any satellites). Once the Orbi comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, and see if that resolves your issues.

But if it doesn't (and move that CONNECT a bit further away, those Orbi's have a strong electrical signal, then I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I prefer to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
I have had this issue for several months with my Connect. I am about to throw it out of the window and find another product. I have tried all the troubleshooting and spent hours searching the web. It all comes back to the solution that I have to submit a report to Sonos (also tried that). But there’s really is no solution. I have to conclude that at some point Sonos made an update that made the product useless, since it used to work and all my other Sonos devices have absolutlely no problems connecting...
So contact Sonos support, as I said in my previous post.

It seems obvious that the community suggestions aren’t helping you, why not go directly to Sonos?
... which I also aleady have with no luck...