Answered

Sonos Beam & Sky Q - Sound Output

• 15 July 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
What sound will the Sonos Beam (only using this speaker in my TV set-up) output when using Sky Q? Am I right in understanding it will be Dolby Digital?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 July 2018, 00:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If you have your Sky Q set to Dolby Digital, and your TV can send the signal through properly, you'll get 3.0 out of the Beam.
Badge +1
Thanks. My HDTV is 7 years old but outputs Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital. The manual confirms there is a sound setting menu, but it's currently not visible on the TV. Do you know if the TV menu systems generally change once a speaker (beam in this case) is plugged into the HDMI (Arc) port?
In my experience, it’s the other way around. It’s what is being sent to the TV which controls what options can be chosen in the TV, not what the TV is playing them in. I would double check the audio settings in the SkyQ box to make sure it is passing a Dolby Digital signal through the HDMI cable.
Oh, and when looking at the options on the TV, make sure you’re watching something in Dolby Digital. Those items wouldn’t be there / grayed out of the show itself wasn’t in Dolby Digital. Don’t use a talking heads program, pick a movie that says in it in Dolby Digital before doing your adjustments.
Badge +1
Cannot get my TV to pass through Dolby Digital, so optical connection direct from Sky Q box to Beam using HDMI adapter and now sounds great!