Answered

Sonos Beam - Samsung UE43KS7500 keeps switch Input to the Beam whilst watching TV

• 22 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
I have just setup the Sonos beam with my Samsung UE43KS7500 TV. Everything works brilliantly apart from the TV switching to my HDMI 3 (ARC) input after about 10-20 mins of watching TV. Is there any way to stop the TV from auto switch to the Beam input for viewing. Also, is there anyway to turn off the Alex Active white light which is distracting whilst watch TV in a darkened room? Many thanks for any help
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 July 2018, 09:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge
Try this: Go into the Sonos app, go to More->Settings->Room Settings, and select your Beam. You should see an option for Status Light, and you can set it to off. This will leave on the small power light, but it will help with your problem.

For the auto switch issue, I'm not sure I have a full understanding of what's happening. However, under the same settings menu for the Status Light, you should see a setting for TV. Select it and it will bring up another menu which includes an option for TV Autoplay. you might try this setting.
Badge +1
Try this: Go into the Sonos app, go to More->Settings->Room Settings, and select your Beam. You should see an option for Status Light, and you can set it to off. This will leave on the small power light, but it will help with your problem.

For the auto switch issue, I'm not sure I have a full understanding of what's happening. However, under the same settings menu for the Status Light, you should see a setting for TV. Select it and it will bring up another menu which includes an option for TV Autoplay. you might try this setting.

Thanks for the info. I tried turning off the status light, which removed the Green Light, but the tiny white light remains. I stuck a tiny bit of black insulating tape over that so was an easy fix for now.

With the other problem, if I turn off Autoplay, then the Beam will not set to TV mode automatically when I turn on the TV. It is a problem with the TV in that it is a "Feature" (Samsungs words) that the TV will switch to a HDMI when it senses a new signal. I dare say the Beam is passive for 10 mins or so & then sends a signal to the TV for info which wakes up Samsungs Feature switching & switches to that input.
Badge
Hmm, that's an interesting problem. I too have a Samsung TV, model UN49KU7000, connected to my Beam and I'm not having that problem. Evidently I don't have that Samsung "feature" with my TV. Perhaps there's another way around the problem. What is the main source for your TV viewing - Cable, or streaming services (DirecTV Now, Amazon Video, etc.) powered by a streaming device such as Fire TV, Apple TV, or your TV's built-in app? How are you controlling your TV - tv remote, cable remote, universal remote such as Harmony, or perhaps some other type of remote?
Flyboy340,

Not sure if this will help, but with regards to Samsung TV and CEC commands, Sonos have mentioned this...

“Open your Samsung TV’s System > Turn on Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) Please note that this option may be also in Expert Settings. If you can't turn off the TV using the CEC commands, make sure you have Auto Turn Off enabled in the Anynet+ settings too”.

Just wondered if you have turned on Anynet+ and looked at the expert settings available, if there are any?

I’m currently having a 'very minor' issue with the CEC command not turning off my 28MT46S LG TV, though everything else is working fine, thankfully. I will let my Harmony hub control that feature.

It appears the different TV manufacturers all have their own versions of the CEC (standard?) commands and have chosen to implement them in slightly different ways.

You would hope in this case that Samsung would allow the automatic 'input switch mode' to be turned off.. it could be a real nuisance if a user had many devices up and running on the various available HDMI ports, a DVD/HDD recorder, for example, whilst you were trying to watch TV.
Badge +1
Flyboy340,

Not sure if this will help, but with regards to Samsung TV and CEC commands, Sonos have mentioned this...

“Open your Samsung TV’s System > Turn on Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) Please note that this option may be also in Expert Settings. If you can't turn off the TV using the CEC commands, make sure you have Auto Turn Off enabled in the Anynet+ settings too”.

Just wondered if you have turned on Anynet+ and looked at the expert settings available, if there are any?

I’m currently having a 'very minor' issue with the CEC command not turning off my 28MT46S LG TV, though everything else is working fine, thankfully. I will let my Harmony hub control that feature.

It appears the different TV manufacturers all have their own versions of the CEC (standard?) commands and have chosen to implement them in slightly different ways.

You would hope in this case that Samsung would allow the automatic 'input switch mode' to be turned off.. it could be a real nuisance if a user had many devices up and running on the various available HDMI ports, a DVD/HDD recorder, for example, whilst you were trying to watch TV.

Unfortunately there are no options with Anynet+ (on or off). Google search brings up loads of complaints and problems with Samsung 2016 TVs using Anynet+ . The only way to stop the problem is by turning Anynet+ off.

I asume with Anynet+ off I will not be able to use the HDMI cable, so will need an optical splitter to use optical (my TV optical port is currently being used for Headphones as the TV does not have a 3.5 Headphone socket) Sometimes progress is not always progressing in the right direction!

What will I lose with optical? Is it just Alexa TV control & Auto On/Off? I presume the sound quality will be the same?
Flyboy340,

Yes I googled the Samsung auto-HDMI switching thing and there were lots of reports about it and some 'solutions' too in some cases, which varied from either getting a firmware update from Samsung, to one user who said he opened up his TV and removed a plug from one of the boards inside... I don’t recommend that latter course of action by the way!

I don’t 'believe' you will lose any audio quality with the connection to the optical port and it might turn out to be your only solution if there is no way to turn off the auto-switching of HDMI connections, but yes, you will lose the ability to do the voice control of TV, switching On/Off, muting the audio etc.

There is a way around this and that’s to add a Harmony Hub to your room... that device will not only switch your TV on/off, mute etc. It will also voice control the changing of the TV channels. I just checked your TV compatibility and it is showing as being fully supported by the Hub on the Logitech Harmony compatibility website.

Hope that helps.
Badge
The Samsung does work well with the Harmony Hub. That's what I use to control my tv utilizing my Apple TV for a video source ( I don't have cable). As part of the commands to start the tv, I have included a command that sets the input source to my Apple TV. Not sure if that's why mine works without issues or not, but it might be a fairly simple and inexpensive solution worth trying.