Answered

Sonos Beam + Projector with laptop and ps4 setup

• 7 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi!
Since I don't have TV, and I watch movies on Benq (W1070+) projector (from my laptop or PS4) I wonder if it would be possible to connect Beam with PS4 directly, and if it's good idea?
Of course I could connect Beam with projector via HDMI, but I don't trust audio compression capabilities of my Benq (maybe I'm wrong!). Also my MacBook doesn't support optical audio out.
I know - it doesn't sound good, but I was waiting for product like this so long, and I would love to order it.

Could anyone please help me?

Here are my options:
1. Connecting my Benq with Beam via 10 meters-long HDMI (don't feel it's a good idea)
2. Connecting my PS4 via 10 meters-long HDMI with optical adapter at the end of It
Another problem is my laptop. For movies I can use Plex app on ps4, but what about streaming football games? Would it be possible with airplay 2 to send audio from safari to Beam without lag?

Oh man. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 June 2018, 11:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
I was just thinking the same thing. Don't have a projector yet but thinking of buying one in place of the TV. My guess is it may not work directly from a source given it uses HDMI ARC return audio channel. But I hope it does! Maybe could use a HDMI junction from the source, then one to the projector and one to Beam. Not sure though
I agree that option 1 won't work. Your projector doesn't have ARC, nor an hdmi, so it can't pass audio through hdmi to the beam. All it can do is rca stereo.

For option 2, that would get audio to the beam, but no videoo to the projector.

You should be able to get an hdmi matrix switch. One with 2 inputs (ps4 and laptop) and two outputs (projector and beam). You shouldn't lose any audio quality with that setup.
Badge
Thanks guys!
My plan is to buy 10meters HDMI cable, connect PS4 with BEAM via hdmi WITH optical audio adapter (added by sonos), and PS4 with projector via hdmi. Thats it. When I want to use my laptop - just switch cables from ps4 to laptop.
It has to be like that.
So if I have a matrix switch, I can input my PS4 pro, set top box and fire TV and output it to my projector and Sonos beam, all with HDMI right?
And I'll be able to use the ARC to control my PS4 and set top box and fire TV?