Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Beam Gen2 - Optical or Arc HDMI Questions

• 6 June 2024
  • 4 replies

I have just install a Beam Gen 2 with two Play:1 surround speakers & Hisense TV and I’m going through a bit of a learning curve and have a few questions.

• I initially connected the Beam to the HDMI port2 which is ARC compatible and the Sonos app recognised this which I thought was good. My difficulty is that when connected to the HDMI port there’s no way to control the TV volume seperate to the Sonos volume. What I was hoping and assuming is a better setup is to have no audio from the TV when using the Sonos Surround setup, the TV remote control controls both TV & Sonos and there’s no way to reduce just the TV, if I use mute option audio is muted on all devices and the TV displays a annoying mute icon. Is my assumption to not to have audio from the TV whilst using the Sonos correct and is it achievable using the HDMI Arc?
  • Optical connection as a result of the above I used the optical converter and this does work the TV remote control controls just the TV and it’s possible to turn the volume to zero and just use the Sonos audio. The disadvantage of this setup is that I’m unable to use the TV’s remote control to adjust the Sonos volume.

The only other issue I’ve noticed whilst using the optical connection is there's a slight lip sync issue which I believe can be solved using the Sonos app, there’s a sync option which I’ve yet to test.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have just install a Beam Gen 2 with two Play:1 surround speakers & Hisense TV and I’m going through a bit of a learning curve and have a few questions.  marykayintouch

• I initially connected the Beam to the HDMI port2 which is ARC compatible and the Sonos app recognised this which I thought was good. My difficulty is that when connected to the HDMI port there’s no way to control the TV volume seperate to the Sonos volume. What I was hoping and assuming is a better setup is to have no audio from the TV when using the Sonos Surround setup, the TV remote control controls both TV & Sonos and there’s no way to reduce just the TV, if I use mute option audio is muted on all devices and the TV displays a annoying mute icon. Is my assumption to not to have audio from the TV whilst using the Sonos correct and is it achievable using the HDMI Arc?
  • Optical connection as a result of the above I used the optical converter and this does work the TV remote control controls just the TV and it’s possible to turn the volume to zero and just use the Sonos audio. The disadvantage of this setup is that I’m unable to use the TV’s remote control to adjust the Sonos volume.

The only other issue I’ve noticed whilst using the optical connection is there's a slight lip sync issue which I believe can be solved using the Sonos app, there’s a sync option which I’ve yet to test.

Hello,

You've set up your Sonos Beam Gen 2 with a Hisense TV and Play:1 surrounds, and you're navigating the world of HDMI ARC vs. optical connection. Here's a breakdown to help you decide:

HDMI ARC (ideal for Dolby Atmos and single cable):

This connection offers the best audio quality, supporting Dolby Atmos for immersive sound (if your TV and content allow it). It also simplifies things with just one HDMI cable for both audio and video. Plus, with CEC enabled, your TV remote can potentially control Sonos volume (requires configuration on both TV and Beam).
The downside?

Some TVs, like yours, might not separate TV and Sonos volume control properly through HDMI ARC. You might have experienced this where lowering TV volume also reduces Sonos volume.
How to fix volume control with HDMI ARC:

Check your Hisense TV manual and the Sonos app for CEC and separate volume control settings. Enable them if available.

In the Sonos app, navigate to Settings > System > TV > CEC and look for "Separate Volume Control."

Explore similar CEC or audio output settings on your Hisense TV that might allow separate volume control for external speakers.

Optical Connection (easy setup, separate TV volume):

This is a simpler setup that often works right away. It also offers independent TV volume control, which you found convenient.
But there are drawbacks:

It doesn't support Dolby Atmos and requires two cables (one for video, one for audio). Additionally, with no CEC, your TV remote can't control Sonos volume.
Fixing lip sync with optical:

The slight lip sync issue you noticed is common. Use the Sonos app's audio delay feature to fix it:
Open the Sonos app, go to Settings > System > Speakers, and select your Beam.

Look for "Audio Delay" or "Lip Sync Adjustment."

Play some content and adjust the delay in small increments until audio and video are in sync.

Recommendation:

If Dolby Atmos and a single cable are priorities, focus on fixing the volume control issue with HDMI ARC.

If separate volume control for TV and Sonos is essential, and you don't need Dolby Atmos, stick with the optical connection and use the Sonos app for volume control.

Additional Tips:

If fixing the volume control with HDMI ARC proves difficult, contact Sonos or Hisense support.

Consider firmware updates for your Sonos Beam or Hisense TV, as they might improve functionality.

By following these steps, you should be able to create a perfect audio experience with your Sonos Beam Gen 2 setup, regardless of your connection choice.

Moderator edit: This post is suspected to have been written by AI

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Not fully up on HDMI but with my Playbase I had to turn the TV speakers off in the sound settings of the TV? Having said that I would thought the TV would do it automatically when using HDMI but it might be worth checking. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That should not be needed using HDMI. The CEC protocol takes care of this once the speaker has been identified by the TV. CEC should be turned on in the TV settings though…..

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I have a Hisense TV which works perfectly well with my Beam Gen 2. I can control volume and mute with my TV Remote via CEC. I connected the devices using HDMI 1 on the TV, as this one is ARC (at least on mine). BTW, Dolby Atmos works completely fine.

There are different kinds of Hisense TVs. Mine is a Roku TV. If, by any chance yours is a Roku TV as well, the settings are as shown: