Question

Sonos as wireless surrounds using multiple Ports

• 12 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello, I am trying to determine if this configuration will work for my newly refinished basement.  I am a long time Sonos fan, and have 6 zones in my upstairs.  I would like to setup a 5.1 surround system in the basement and use both ‘Ports” and “S1” speakers as my side and rear surrounds.  (Please see attached diagram).  However I think you can only select (1) Line-In as a sonos source.  I would like to be able to use the 2 Port’s to send the surround channel output to 2 sets of S1’s concurrently.  Can I do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

This is not viable. Sonos introduces a delay of (at least) 75ms for any Line-In signal.

Badge

Hello Ratty

Thanks for the response.  I thought line-in delay might be an issue, but then I saw that Sonos introduced  the capability to adjust line delay in the 10.6 upgrade.  My reciever also has the ability to adust audio delay to the line outputs.  I was hoping I could use both to find a happy medium.  Thoughts?

Sonos line-in delay can be adjusted up from 75ms, if extra buffering is required to deliver audio without dropouts.

Unless your receiver can insert negative relative delay to compensate (by delaying the other channels) you will have problems.

Badge

Ratty...thanks for the input.  Now I understand what your saying...the adustment is only “up” from 75ms and that’s the starting floor.  My reciever does have the capability to add delay to the front’s but I believe it’s only in the range of 30 - 40ms.  I’ll have to verify.  Also it does have Audyssey MultEQ which also provides a range of speaker delay adjustments, but I’ll have to check to see if it’s possible to offset the 75ms surround delays.  Either way..I know the challenge now, and I’ve got to go off and do my homework.  Thanks for the clarification.