Sonos Arc & Xbox One X, Dolby Atmos Trouble

Hey folks,

First time posting here.

So I've set up my Sonos Arc via ARC to my LG C8. I've been getting Dolby Atmos just fine via my Apple TV 4K (thanks to my LG C8 being able to decode the Dolby Atmos signal into a lossy format for regular ARC), but when I started up my Xbox One X today and went over to the audio settings and changed it to HDMI: Bistream Out and then I choose Bistream format: Dolby Atmos for home theater, I get no sound, silence...

When you initially choose that option, it makes you launch the Dolby Access app and then you can go to the product section to "setup" Dolby Atmos. I did that and it's turned on with the channel upmixer setting turned on as well.

If I set it to Dolby Digital or stereo uncompressed, I get sound. Although sometimes, when I'm on Dolby Atmos and then switch to either one of those, I'll still get silence and will need to do a hard restart (hold down power button on console for 8 seconds).

Wondering if anyone has found a way to get this to work?

Thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Badge

Hi. I have a similar setup but with the C9. The Xbox is set up in the same way, the SONOS arc is connected to HDMI 2 eARC on the tv. If I set the TV to pass through I get Atmos displayed on the Sonos app and under Arc in the About menu but it doesn’t say what audio codec is being used, if I change pass through to ‘auto’ on the tv the Sonos app displays Atmos (DD+). This sounds amazing and clearly has Atmos metadata. One difference on the C9 is that eARC is set to ‘on’.

This is the same as the Dolby signal I see on Sonos from the tv’s Netflix app.

I just set up my Sonos arc via my Samsung Q80 tv with the hdmi/arc plug but I use my Xbox one S to watch you tube tv and when I go to the setting to set up Dolby atmos on the Xbox I choose bitstream out and Dolby atmos but it has an error and changed back to Dolby digital. Can anyone help with this?

Badge

I have  a Samsung qe55q9fna.! I have done the setups for the Sonos arc as stated via the s2 App and plugged the xbox one x on HDMI 1 and the Sonos arc is plugged into arc hdmi 4  I have been though so many option on how to get Atmos and 4k to work together but am getting no where fast!  If you set video settings via manual on the xbox and down grade to 1080p. It will allow you to select Atmos  but still get no sound. And as soon as you switch anything video setting  back to 4k it switch’s back to stereo uncompressed. Then if you try to select dolby Atmos from the settings you then get error message 0x080bd09 i hope there is a fix for this please help!  One last thing Sonos arc Dolby atmos work fine through Sky Q  

Badge

Hi. I have a similar setup but with the C9. The Xbox is set up in the same way, the SONOS arc is connected to HDMI 2 eARC on the tv. If I set the TV to pass through I get Atmos displayed on the Sonos app and under Arc in the About menu but it doesn’t say what audio codec is being used, if I change pass through to ‘auto’ on the tv the Sonos app displays Atmos (DD+). This sounds amazing and clearly has Atmos metadata. One difference on the C9 is that eARC is set to ‘on’.

This is the same as the Dolby signal I see on Sonos from the tv’s Netflix app.

Wait, are you saying it sounds better with DD+ when TV is set to Auto, rather than in pass through mode and showing Atmos in the app??

Curious as I have a C9 and Arc also, and haven’t really been able to distinguish the “Atmos effect” that much so far...

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just set up my Sonos arc via my Samsung Q80 tv with the hdmi/arc plug but I use my Xbox one S to watch you tube tv and when I go to the setting to set up Dolby atmos on the Xbox I choose bitstream out and Dolby atmos but it has an error and changed back to Dolby digital. Can anyone help with this?

Does your tv have earc? If not then you cannot get Atmos from Xbox 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have  a Samsung qe55q9fna. Your tv does not have earc and so you will not be able to get Atmos from your Xbox, you can get it from sky q. Evaluate it passes a DD+ signal that passed Atmos, the Xbox does not ! 

I have a sonos Arc plus Sub, but i wish to know how is the experience with the surrounds, but im afraid it will left the feeling of the sound coming from left and right from the Arc soundbar, im very happy with the soundstage Arc produces, but i have not clear how the sound will be redirected to surround speakers , they will left the Arc without the ambient feeling?.

I’m having a similar issue. I have updated all the following equipment to is latest firmware. Xbox series x (playing HBO maxx) > Hue Sync Box > Samsung qn49. The Sonos is connected to the arc of the Samsung. The sync box is connected to hdmi 1 and the Xbox is connected to the 4 hdmi on the sync box. When playing Wonder Woman 1985 on HBO Max the Xbox does not recognize any atmos signal. The Samsung also is not getting a Dolby + signal. I thought it may be an Xbox issue but when using the native app in the Samsung atmos is not available either. (I’m assuming atmos must come from third party hardware?) I tried hooking the Xbox in directly and I have the same issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I thought it may be an Xbox issue but when using the native app in the Samsung atmos is not available either. (I’m assuming atmos must come from third party hardware?) I tried hooking the Xbox in directly and I have the same issue. 

What are the Xbox audio settings? Should be HDMI Audio / Bitstream and the options shown after that depend on the capability of downstream hardware.

I’m able to go to bitstream, but when I select the Atmos setting it says that my bar does not support it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m able to go to bitstream, but when I select the Atmos setting it says that my bar does not support it. 

There you go then: something in the HDMI downstream connection says it does not support Atmos. My guess is the TV, rtings.com does not list a QN49 so cannot check the TV specs.

It’s saying the arc isn’t atmos ready. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It’s saying the arc isn’t atmos ready. 

No, it is saying the device plugged into the Xbox is not Atmos ready, which is your “hue sync box” (whatever that is) or your TV.

What’s crazy is the tv will do atmos through “VUDU”. I watched avengers endgame just fine but the third party through the arc doesn’t work.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What’s crazy is the tv will do atmos through “VUDU”. I watched avengers endgame just fine but the third party through the arc doesn’t work.  

Is the Vudu app built-in to the TV, or running on the Xbox? Often TVs support built-in sources and fail to support HDMI connected devices.

Aweee I see. Vudu is built in.