Answered

Sonos Arc with Ps5 & LG TV

• 18 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Hey, 

I may gave completely missed all info on this but hey! I have just received my PS5 and am pumped to use it with my Sonos Surround Sound Set Up. Arc, 2 x Play 1 & Sub.. 

My question is how I connect all of this with my TV, while still enabling 120Hz Refresh and Dolby? My TV only has one EARC HDMI which is the only one I assume I can use with the PS5 to allow 120HZ refresh rate? Sine the ARC only has 1 HDMI slot I will then miss out on EARC on the Sonos? 

What am I missing? I have read about pass through also but am completely baffled! 

Cheers, 

Sean

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 July 2021, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You can connect the Arc to the TV’s Arc/eARC port or its optical port using the adapter supplied with the sound-bar. I’m not sure what you need for the PS5, but try it on the HDMI port with pass-through/eARC switched on in the TV settings. Your TV user-manual should explain where to find those settings.. they’re usually in the ‘sound-out’ settings on most TV’s.

I’ve not yet (personally) seen a TV with more than one HDMI-eARC port… if the PS5 needs that port, then I suspect your only option will probably be to put the Arc on the optical connection, but it’s audio will ‘likely’ switch to DD 5.1 in that instance. 

HTH

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Fullerboy5 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

HDMI-ARC and eARC are meant specifically for audio devices (Audio Return Channel), so it seems very unlikely to me that your PS5 would require eARC specifically.

It may be, however, that the only HDMI port on your TV that supports 120Hz is the one that also supports eARC. This seems a bit counter-intuitive, so it would be worth making sure that you have understood this properly by checking your TV’s manual - you did say that you were “assuming” it to be so.

If this turns out to be the case - the only port that supports 120Hz is the only one that supplies eARC - then you’ll need to choose between a 120Hz picture on your PS5, and Dolby Atmos/LPCM audio on your Arc. You won’t get both with that particular TV or without a third-party device (unsupported). If you choose the 120Hz picture, you’ll need to use the supplied HDMI/Optical adaptor to link the Arc to the TV’s optical output, resulting in stereo sound or 5.1 Dolby Digital sound only.

I hope this helps.