Answered

Sonos Arc with iTunes movies. - No atmos

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m a bit lost on this.  I have a new Sonos Arc. I Have it hooked up to my Samsung tv which has eARC. I have an Apple TV. I am getting Atmos from the Apple TV Netflix and also Dinsey +. However oddly, the my iTunes movies which say they are Atmos are not coming through in Atmos and default to Dolby 5.1. Why would it play the other services from Apple TV with Atmos but not iTunes movies I have bought ?

icon

Best answer by Poorpilot 19 June 2020, 22:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

You are actually getting Atmos from Netflix and Disney plus apps? I have a similar setup with an LG tv with e-ARC and havent gotten Atmos out of my Apple TV at all. Disney plus movies play in silence, as does Netflix Atmos content. iTunes movies also play in 5.1

This is the way that Apple encodes Atmos on their own content. Using MAT, which is part of TrueHD, which requires an eARC connection due to bandwidth considerations. You need to either petition Apple to change that, or get a TV with eARC to play Atmos on Apple’s Movies content. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s the thing I have e-arc so it should work

Hmmm. Missed that, apologies. I’d be looking at the output settings on the Apple TV to ensure that it’s set up properly, and then the settings on the TV to ensure that it’s also set up to pass through the signal.

Unfortunately, I’m currently stuck with a TV that won’t even pass Dolby Digital Plus from an HDMI input, so I’m not much help. 

Badge

2 things to check: 

1. On your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Audio Format. Under Immersive Audio, check that Dolby Atmos is on. If you don't see Immersive Audio and Dolby Atmos as an option, you might need to change how your home entertainment system is set up.
  2. Check your tv’s settings and under the audio menu switch from Auto to passthrough while you are playing Atmos content

Lastly, go to your Sonos app and check System Settings-About my system and check the audio output. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Those are the exact options I have checked. If I put it in auto I get sound but no Atmos. In pass thru it is silence. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is the way that Apple encodes Atmos on their own content. Using MAT, which is part of TrueHD, which requires an eARC connection due to bandwidth considerations. You need to either petition Apple to change that, or get a TV with eARC to play Atmos on Apple’s Movies content. 

Yes so this is what is so weird. I have a TV with eArc. I have Atmos on in ATV. I have the TV set to ‘passthrough’. It works for Disney Plus and Netflix app on the ATV, just not any movies from iTunes (even though the movie says Atmos!) So frustrating. I can’ t figure out where it is breaking down, just for iTunes content.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What really frustrating is some of it is working for you and none for me even though we have similar setups. I wonder if this has to do with the LPCM thing?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also found this in another forum:

LG has released a firmware upgrade for the B9/C9/E9 supporting multichannel PCM passthrough.  This is great except Arc doesn’t support it yet.

Because of this new update, my Apple TV decides it should use LPCM instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 with Atmos enabled resulting in only 2.0 audio for non Atmos content.  The current only workaround is to disable Atmos and enable it when you want to watch an Atmos file.  Very frustrating as the previous firmware had no issue.

Notice this says LPCM, does your setup say that?

Userlevel 2
Badge

After calling apple, try going to settings, apps, then making sure quick start is on. See if that fixes Atmos issue for iTunes movies. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

After calling apple, try going to settings, apps, then making sure quick start is on. See if that fixes Atmos issue for iTunes movies. 

That did it! Thanks!