Question

Sonos Arc with Apple TV 4K and Sony/Samsung Tv

• 21 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I recently puchased the Sonos arc, along with gen3 sub and a pair of onesl as surronds. My initial idea was a use a signal box to split the video/audio signal from my apple tv 4k to a benq 4k projector and sonos arc. However, I unfortunately recieved a defective unit from benq, and thus I wanted to buy a tv instead.

I know that OLED Tvs are probably best in terms of contast ratio, but I will be moving several times within the next few years, and I really don’t want to be moving those fragile thin screens around. As a result I looked at high end qled and led tvs such as sony x950h and samsung q90t.

However, upon reading several threads from this community, I saw that people were having troubles getting their apple tv 4k working properly with sonos arc. This thread for example. It seemed to me that one possible explaination is that sonos arc does not support LPCM. I noticed in one of the threads that someone had gotten their lg CX + Apple TV 4k to send dolby atmos properly, but with everything else  was merely stero sound.

Personally, this problem sounds really absurd, because according to this link from apple, the only tvs supporting the apple tv app came from samsung, sony, roku, and amazon. The only way for owners of other TV brands(correct me if I am wrong) to get apple tv is through the actual apple tv box! 

I want to ask if anyone has gotten their apple tv + smart tv combination to work proporly on sonos arc, especially users whose tv has the earc feature? By working properly I mean that getting dolby atmos from Atmos-enabled contents and 5.1 surround sound on other contents. I really appreciate anyone who can share their experience.

If many people are experiencing problems with apple tv + smart tv + sonos arc, I think sonos should make an official statement acknowledging the problem and provide its users with solutions. I won’t be able to test anything myself until I buy the new in August, but I will be really dissapointed if there are actually compatability issues between sonos arc and apple tv 4k

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The HDFury Arcana should solve this problem. I have pre-ordered one to connect the ATV4K to my 2019 Samsung.