Question

AppleTV 4K + LG 65NANO91ANA + Sonos Arc = No Atmos

Userlevel 1

Like many people, I cannot get Atmos audio out of my Apple TV4K via my 2020 LG NANO91ANA via pass through. I get the “Atmos” sticker next to movies in many Apple TV apps, but when I start to play them, no audio comes through. Other times (depending on the TV audio settings), I’ll get “5.1”. Many people are saying this is an LPCM limitation on the Sonos Arc and the Apple TV4K. The TV is brand new, 2020 model, with eARC, so it’s beyond me why there are any hardware compatibility issues.

All devices are running off latest updates (6/29/20). The TV has eARC enabled, Digital Sound Out = Pass Through, Audio Input set to Bitstream

Should I return the TV and get something else? Or will this eventually get fixed by Apple/Sonos/LG via software updates? I also shelled $3000 for Atmos audio via the new Arc soundbar, so If I’m not getting it, I don’t want to keep all this hardware.

Atmos DOES work when using the LG apps (Netflix, AppleTV (app), Prime), but the interface is inferior to using a hardware AppleTV. This all boils down to pass-through problems between the 3 devices (LG tv, AppleTV, and Sonos Arc)

26 replies

I am in the same boat.  I bought a 2020 Nanocell 75 inch And the Sonos Arc.   But I am going to keep both.   LG updated today the built in Apple TV app with ATMOS...so I am going to use that for Apple TV and Netflix (built in app) until Sonos issues the update.   I like the Apple TV 4K interface better, but am less angry at LG and Sonos now that I can at least get ATMOS over the built in App.

This is not a fix for your issue but the Apple TV app got updated on my LG C9 today and now supports Dolby Atmos for the Sonos Arc. Not sure if your tv supports the app or has been updated also but worth a look until the issue is sorted for the Apple TV 4K 

Userlevel 1

Yes, I saw that as well on my TV too based on a similar comment in another forum. Netflix, Prime, and AppleTV built-in apps can all play Atmos.

It doesn’t look like any other new updates have come out for the AppleTV 4K (hardware) though.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I think it’s important to make sure that you have the correct audio output settings on your TV in order to receive Dolby Atmos. Some customers totally forget about these important settings, or set them incorrectly. And, make sure your TV is updated to the latest software. 

Userlevel 1

Yes, I’ve tried every single combination possible (even multiple high quality brand new HDMI cables). The AppleTV recognizes Atmos but plays no sound unless I disable Atmos in the AppleTV menu. 

**Moderator Note: Please censor personal information if posting pictures.**

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pi3rc3y amd @nevitben,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I would like to share to you some guidelines regarding the Sonos Arc.

1. Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended.
  2. If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.
  3. If you connect to a TV using ARC, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. An ARC connection cannot support TrueHD or MAT.
  4. If you connect to a TV using the optical adapter, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Digital. An optical connection cannot support Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, or Dolby Digital Plus.

This topic also have discussed a few things when it comes to Sonos Arc, Apple TV 4K, and Dolby Atmos.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

Hi @Paul A ,

Thanks for the response. I have been combing the community to try and find a way to make my AppleTV 4K output and play the Atmos sound from Atmos-enabled content via my brand new eARC TV. It seems there are a couple theories as to why this is, several of which point at a limitation to the Sonos Arc. I am trying to understand if the AppleTV 4K will ever be compatible with the Sonos Arc via a 2020 eARC TV or not. It is unclear to me if this is a software or hardware limitation. I imagine that connecting a peripheral like an AppleTV 4K is in Sonos’ purview and design requirements given the Arc only has one HDMI port and thus heavily relies on the eARC pass-through from many different TV brands.

If this will not be possible, I’d like to return my recently purchased Sonos system. Will this issue be something Sonos intends to address?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nevitben,

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would like to refer you to this page. This issue have been raised already to our engineering team for a feature request on that page. I would be morethan happy to add this thread to the request i made on that page. However, Just to set your expectation you will not be notified but what we can do is to subscribe to this thread and check our announcement from time to time for any updates or accessory release just in case we have anything that may relate to this concern since Sonos were made to serve only (one master) to which ever it is plugged into via either the optical cable or HDMI cable.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

What firmware Version is the TV running ? Sounds like LPMC to passthrough has been enabled on the TV. 

Hello, I am in the same situation I made a support complaint to LG and they indicated that the problem is the Sonos ARC with the eARC port specifically, I hope Sonos can fix this soon. 

I was able to confirm this, connecting my other soundbar in the same way as the ARC and setting the audio on the TV as Bitstream and Pass trough and it worked with the Apple TV 4K.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @fjosediaz30.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask for some clarification, what soundbar worked with the Dolby  Atmos that you mentioned have worked? 

If the main issue only is about the Sonos Arc not getting Dolby Atmos from Apply 4K TV, 

1. The Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended.
  2. If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.
  3. If you connect to a TV using ARC, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. An ARC connection cannot support TrueHD or MAT.
  4. If you connect to a TV using the optical adapter, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Digital. An optical connection cannot support Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, or Dolby Digital Plus.

This topic also have discussed a few things when it comes to Sonos Arc, Apple TV 4K, and Dolby Atmos.

You may also want to consider updating the TV firmware and the Apple TV firmware to the latest version so they can support Dolby Atmos.

Thanks,

Hi @fjosediaz30.

I would like to ask for some clarification, what soundbar worked with the Dolby  Atmos that you mentioned have worked? 

If the main issue only is about the Sonos Arc not getting Dolby Atmos from Apply 4K TV, 

1. The Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended.

This topic also have discussed a few things when it comes to Sonos Arc, Apple TV 4K, and Dolby Atmos.

You may also want to consider updating the TV firmware and the Apple TV firmware to the latest version so they can support Dolby Atmos.

Thanks,

If you do not have eArc on your TV, here is the solution.  An adapter that sits between video source and Sonos arc!  it's time for Sonos to start promoting this product, for your own sake. 
https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Userlevel 1
Badge

What firmware Version is the TV running ? Sounds like LPMC to passthrough has been enabled on the TV. 

This is exactly what is going on. I have the 65nano90 and have the same issue as you. On the Apple TV if you enable atmos, you will see that it says it will send audio as LPCM. I’m assuming when any atmos content plays you get silence? But when non atmos content plays it works fine correct? I am using the built in apps currently while i wait for sonos to update the arc with LPCM support. 

Hi @fjosediaz30.

Thanks,

I have the LG - 5.1.2-Channel 570W Sound-bar System - Model:SL10YG and I just leave the Apple TV 4K connected directly to the TV and use the eARC port on the TV to connect this soundbar and everything work perfect and all the Apps on the Apple TV 4K show me the Dolby Vision + Atmos Logo. 

Yes the issue is about the Sonos Arc not getting Dolby Atmos from Apple TV 4K.

Actually, I have the last TV firmware and Apple TV firmware.

I just continue playing with the connection and set-up with the Sonos Arc, and the only configuration that reproduce Dolby Atmos sounds on my Sonos Arc, was connecting my Apple TV 4K to my Philips Play HDMI Sync Box and the Sync Box to the TV (LG 65NANO85UNA).

Thanks,

Fausto

Userlevel 3
Badge

Pass-through won’t work from Apple TV 4K until Sonos update the Arc with multi channel LPCM support (coming soon apparently). 

In the meantime, change Pass-through to Auto - and hopefully the TV will recognise the Arc can’t do LPCM and will send lossy Atmos via DD+ instead. 

Otherwise turn off eARC and let the TV convert the Apple TV Dolby MAT to DD+ and send it over ARC to the Arc

Sonos really need to hurry up and implement multi channel LPCM support to overcome all this confusion and limitations  

The Apple TV 4K ...It’s not just a Sonos problem.  Yes it is for the Sonos ARC.   But I disconnected the Sonos Arc and set the Apple TV 4K for the internal speakers on a brand new 2020 75 LG Nano and you also get no sound over internal speakers.    So LG changed something as well.   It’s like a poster above said, we bought 2020 hardware/software and it doesn’t work.  LG blames Sonos. Sonos blames LG or Apple.  I don’t care...it is up to all 3 of them to figure it out.   I chatted with Sonos support and they told me multichannel LPCM is supported and he didn’t know why it wasn’t working?? What??   Do they even read these forums about it not being available yet?  

I am don’t want to go off but come on, I dropped a lot of money for a 2020 75 Inch TV and a 2020 Sonos Arc and this stuff doesn’t work.     I ONLY kept the Sonos Arc because the internal LG apps that I use, Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney support and deliver ATMOS over the Sonos Arc...but man I have to tell you this whole experience with Sonos (and I own an embarrassing amount of Sonos speakers) and the constant lack of support and appropriate software updates from LG just is enough.  I really like the Sonos Arc but its not my job to be a technical person and sort through LG and Sonos and Apple TV forums to figure it out, nor should I have to contact their respective technical support lines and go through the run around.   I am a Sonos user.  I am an Apple TV 4K user.    Only because of the experiences they provide.   I am not an internal TV app user, as like so many other posters have commented, they are not as great at the Apple TV experience.   I just want a solution...and not an 3rd party solution that many are pushing, as I have already invested enough money.

And I know Sonos has acknowledge they are working on a fix with no eta release.

I should add that i also own a 2017 OLED with Dolby Atmos and so I thought I just hook the Sonos Arc up to it and put the Sonos Beam back on the new 2020 LG TV.   I then got Atmos no problem (this is because LG hasn’t updated the 2017 models hardly).  But then I ran smack into the other issue we have be reading out and that is lip sync issues.    One to beam out!  Thankfully I could solve this by activating the AV adjustment on the 2017 LG TV.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I find it strange that Apple tv doesn't have a bitstream option. If I had a high-end AVR I wouldn't want the apple tv doing the decoding.
Maybe I'm missing something?

Yes, I’ve tried every single combination possible (even multiple high quality brand new HDMI cables). The AppleTV recognizes Atmos but plays no sound unless I disable Atmos in the AppleTV menu. 

**Moderator Note: Please censor personal information if posting pictures.**

Thanks for the comprehensive setting explanation for LG TV. I followed your screenshots and it solved my issue. Huge thanks.

Thanks for the screen grabs but many others including myself have these settings properly configured and we get no sound on Dolby Atmos with Apple TV 4K and Sonos Arc.   See this thread.

Userlevel 1

I’m now running 03.10.25 on my TV, tvOS 13.4.8 (17M61) on my AppleTV 4K, and 12.0.3 on my Sonos Arc and Sub. Still no Atmos with AppleTV. 

@jthomas009 we do not have the same TV. 

@nevitben 

Hi.  Yes I know, didn’t mean to imply that, just that we are having same problems.  It seems to be mostly 2020 LGs that are affected.   Something to do with the airplay update that went out to this years models that had the LPCM change in it.   Others have the same as 2020 as I and we all have the same problem you have.  Like I said I also have a 2017 LG Oled and it didn’t get the update and so it works.   Anyway I wished I could help but I guess it is just a waiting game.  

Thought I’d chime in too to share my observations. I just picked up a 2020 86NANO91ANA and am having the same issue a lot of you are seeing with this config: 4K AppleTV → LG 86” Nanocell → Sonos Arc (via eARC) = no sound. However, I’m not confident that this is a Sonos Arc issue. I don’t get audio for any Atmos based content coming from the AppleTV whether I use the TV’s internal speakers or the Sonos Arc (unplugging the Sonos Arc all together to be certain). This leads me to believe the issue is with LG.

Further, I get Atmos audio just fine using the exact Sonos Arc and AppleTV but using my 2017 65” LG OLED TV instead: AppleTV → LG 65” OLED → Sonos Arc = amazing Atmos sound.

Like others have said, using the WebOS AppleTV app is not suitable replacement for multiple reasons.

1. The content quality is not always the same. For example, I have movies that I’ve bought through iTunes that support Atmos on the AppleTV box but don’t show support for Atmos on the WebOS AppleTV app. I’ve also seen similar with Dolby Vision, where the movie supports Vision on the box but not on the app.
  2. I like to run my video content through a Phillips Hue Play SyncBox and have invested heavily into numerous Play Light Bars, light strips, and bulbs for some pretty dope ambient light based on the video and/or sound content(I’ve done all my testing without the Syncbox involved to make sure it wasn’t the culprit).

Anyway, happy to be wrong on this front. I have more faith in Sonos’ ability to release a fix than I do in LG to do the same. But I don’t see how this is a Sonos issue if I can remove the Arc all together and still experience the same issue. 

Thoughts? Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Thought I’d chime in too to share my observations. I just picked up a 2020 86NANO91ANA and am having the same issue a lot of you are seeing with this config: 4K AppleTV → LG 86” Nanocell → Sonos Arc (via eARC) = no sound. However, I’m not confident that this is a Sonos Arc issue. I don’t get audio for any Atmos based content coming from the AppleTV whether I use the TV’s internal speakers or the Sonos Arc (unplugging the Sonos Arc all together to be certain). This leads me to believe the issue is with LG.

Further, I get Atmos audio just fine using the exact Sonos Arc and AppleTV but using my 2017 65” LG OLED TV instead: AppleTV → LG 65” OLED → Sonos Arc = amazing Atmos sound.

Like others have said, using the WebOS AppleTV app is not suitable replacement for multiple reasons.

1. The content quality is not always the same. For example, I have movies that I’ve bought through iTunes that support Atmos on the AppleTV box but don’t show support for Atmos on the WebOS AppleTV app. I’ve also seen similar with Dolby Vision, where the movie supports Vision on the box but not on the app.
  2. I like to run my video content through a Phillips Hue Play SyncBox and have invested heavily into numerous Play Light Bars, light strips, and bulbs for some pretty dope ambient light based on the video and/or sound content(I’ve done all my testing without the Syncbox involved to make sure it wasn’t the culprit).

Anyway, happy to be wrong on this front. I have more faith in Sonos’ ability to release a fix than I do in LG to do the same. But I don’t see how this is a Sonos issue if I can remove the Arc all together and still experience the same issue. 

Thoughts? Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Dude I Feel like we are the same person… I have the same TV and was using the Arc via the Arc HDMI and Apple TV 4K with no problems.   I did the same thing troubleshooting trying to isolate the error.  It’s not the Soundbar because it works fine on the other TV and through the LGs built in apps and also tried to pass the Dolby through the internal speakers but still no audio.  Also, like you said I use the hue sync box too and you cant have both.  So its either no Atmos and sync lights or Atmos with no lights.  I cant believe a TV 3 years old had no issue passing the Dolby but a new LG Nano Tv cant.   It’s not Sonos guys.. It’s something to do with the LG TV not passing the LPCM from the Apple TV through the Arc.

Userlevel 1

Like many people, I cannot get Atmos audio out of my Apple TV4K via my 2020 LG NANO91ANA via pass through. I get the “Atmos” sticker next to movies in many Apple TV apps, but when I start to play them, no audio comes through. Other times (depending on the TV audio settings), I’ll get “5.1”. Many people are saying this is an LPCM limitation on the Sonos Arc and the Apple TV4K. The TV is brand new, 2020 model, with eARC, so it’s beyond me why there are any hardware compatibility issues.

All devices are running off latest updates (6/29/20). The TV has eARC enabled, Digital Sound Out = Pass Through, Audio Input set to Bitstream

Should I return the TV and get something else? Or will this eventually get fixed by Apple/Sonos/LG via software updates? I also shelled $3000 for Atmos audio via the new Arc soundbar, so If I’m not getting it, I don’t want to keep all this hardware.

Atmos DOES work when using the LG apps (Netflix, AppleTV (app), Prime), but the interface is inferior to using a hardware AppleTV. This all boils down to pass-through problems between the 3 devices (LG tv, AppleTV, and Sonos Arc)

UPDATE: I have been trying for months with my LGNANO91 65" TV (2020 model that I got at Costco) to play Dolby Atmos with my AppleTV 4K and today I finally got it. I tried changing the "HDMI Input Audio Format" on the TV from PCM to Bitstream. With "Digital Sound Out" set to "Pass Through", and eARC enabled, I finally got Atmos. This may be due to the newer software that LG dropped a few weeks ago. I think I forgot to test PCM vs Bitstream at that time (I had been on PCM, can’t remember why). Also, I'm a beta user of Apple tvOS in case that changed anything. Here's the software on my devices right now that give me Dolby Atmos on my AppleTV 4K:

LG: 03.10.60

tvOS: 14.0 (18J5385a)

Sonos (on my ARC): 12.0.5 (build 58180080)

Randomly started working for me as well.  Must’ve been an update cuz I didn’t change anything lol