Sonos Arc via optical question

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi all

I would appreciate your views on a quick question.  I have a Sonos bean with 2 play 3s as surrounds and the Sub.  Due to lip sync issues with my LG C7 I used optical connections to the beam using the adapter and this fixed the issue.  

from what I have read I would have the same issues with the Arc and again would use the optical to solve this.   So with that assumption and knowing that Dolby Atmos would not be available through optical is the Arc worth it as an upgrade?  

the room is the main TV room and is 8m by 10m in size.  

thanks

Josh

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Joshbear, thanks for reaching out and letting us know about your interest. First of all, let me address the lip-sync issue because currently, it’s our issue with the Playbar that uses optical cable which is okay on your end. Maybe the only problem on your end is the TV’s HDMI port, settings, or the cable itself. For more information on this issue, visit this thread. About the Sonos Arc, yes the main feature is the Dolby Atmos and will not work if you’re using an optical adapter but for more information about Sonos Arc, click here. It would show there that it’s designed for TVs larger than 49" and Beam is for TVs 49" and smaller. The Sonos Arc has 11 drivers while the Beam has 5 drivers only. It will still depend on your choice and the soundbar that works best for your space. Let us know if this helps. Thanks! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@Joshbear @Krishma M I am very much interested in the answer to Josh’s question, which I do not feel was answered.  I have the same issue with a Beam +L/R Surrounds (Ones’s) on my Samsung 2019 Q80R 75”.   After many variations of cables and settings.  I did determine that the TV port is the issue.  And after much time with Samsung, I have concluded it is not fixable.  

The question I see from Josh is given the optical is the only answer, is the sound from an Arc that much better than a Beam, even if it does not have Atmos, which quite honestly is a lot of source media.

I can tell you what we have a open concept room.   The room is 25’ x 30’.  and that part extends into the kitchen and dining area with no walls.  Also, the 25’x30’ area has a raised ceiling that extends up to the height of the second floor.  So I believe the ceiling is about 22’ ft tall.    Lastly, our seating area is approximately 10-13 ft back from the set.

The sound is great with the Beam.  So indicating it is mostly for TV’s of 49” or smaller is simply nonsense.  That is simply some marketing remarks that has nothing to do with sound.  The size of the TV is not the issue.  It’s the ambience and room size including height, and the seating position in the room that would have more of an impact.  If fact, we listen and watch the set while in our kitchen area which is 35’ to 38’ away from the TV.   The sound from the Beam projects wonderfully.  I would not call this best for Movies.  But normal TV broadcasting is great.

I look forward to hearing other responses to Josh’s question that can be more than Sonos marketing speak.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks Michael,

Exactly right.  Must be someone who has gone from the beam to Arc and uses Optical.  Any help / guidance / opinions appreciated. 

Josh

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi all

if anyone has gone from beam to arc and used optical as the connection I would really appreciate your views on the sound upgrade.  

thanks

Josh

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi all

if anyone has gone from beam to arc and used optical as the connection I would really appreciate your views on the sound upgrade.  

thanks

Josh

I had a Playbar for two months(bought 3 days before Arc reveal), and was able to get it swapped to the Arc.
I did have some sync issues with the Playbar, connected via optical, and that is not pressent now on the Arc.

My setup is with a Sony 55” AG9 with eARC support.

Replaced two PLAYBARs with Arcs, I think the Arc is a superior speaker, even without the Atmos aspect, which I’m currently not able to enjoy due to TV issues. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for the insights.  Much appreciated.  

Josh

There is also the Arcana product coming out which will allow you to use Sonos Arc, Beam, or Amp bypassing the TV entirely, which should resolve lip sync issues and any other audio limitations your TV might have.  Still in preorder though.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks Danny

yes seen that and have ordered.   pretty much decided to get the Arc. Just can’t find one in stock in the UK🤨

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi all

just closing this off.  I found one on Friday and it was delivered yesterday.  

For the absence of doubt using the arc hdmi connection on the LG C7 does lead to the well documented lip sync issue with sky Q.   Apple TV 4K looked ok.  

When using the Apple TV Via arc note arc the Sonos app reported that the sound bar was outputting Atmos  

Switching to optical led to zero lip sync issues with any source but of course no Atmos.  

The sound quality on optical vs the beam was worth it for me and in my opinion. There is much more depth to the sound and the room is filled more.  Speech is clearer (significant) noting that I thought it was good on the beam.  

Happy with the purchase. 

thanks for the help all.

josh