Sonos Arc TV sound drops off

• 22 August 2020
  • 58 replies

Badge +1

My Sonos Arc connected to Sony Bravia TV (new and earc capable, drops sound randomly. Appears to be a known issue neither Sonos or Sony care much about. After a month of this happening I must say I am totally over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will Sonos or Sony acknowledge the issue!!!!!!!!??????? Unlikely 🤔. Ok how about fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Badge

I have the same issue. I received my Sonos Arc about 2 weeks ago. Everything was working perfectly for the last week and a half. 

However, my Sonos Arc have dropped/stop playing sounds while connected to my Sony TV (G950). It can play music from the Spotify app, but it will not play sound from the TV if I am watching YouTube or Netflix.

The only way I can fix the sound issue is by restarting my TV.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I have the same issue. I received my Sonos Arc about 2 weeks ago. Everything was working perfectly for the last week and a half. 

However, my Sonos Arc have dropped/stop playing sounds while connected to my Sony TV (G950). It can play music from the Spotify app, but it will not play sound from the TV if I am watching YouTube or Netflix.

I highly suggest you turn on simple IP control in the network settings of the TV. There is a bug with Sony’s implementation of deep sleep that can interfere with Sonos. Simple IP control circumvents this bug. 

Badge

I just looked through my Sony's settings. I do not think/ I did not find a setting titled/or resembles 'Simple IP Control'. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

It’s under network → home network → IP control

Badge

Thank you! I'll give this a try. Btw, what does enabling simple IP control do? 

Badge +1

My IP settings offer DHCP or static no simple?

Badge +1

Sorry found it! Was looking at the wrong settings. Fingers crossed this works! Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Sorry found it! Was looking at the wrong settings. Fingers crossed this works! Thanks!

Please update us!

Hi,

My brother and I have the exact same issue.  We both have Sony g950 and Sonos arc.  It seems like every couple of hours randomly the Sonos arc stops playing TV’s sound and the only way to fix it is to unplug them both.  Did you ever figure out how to fix the issue?

I think it has something to do with the Sony TV’s latest update.  My brother’s issue started after he updated the Sony TV.

Badge +1

Hey Babaee, try Oriboaz settings change for your TV. I updated mine yesterday and will report back if this stops or doesn’t the sound drop offs. Definitely worth a try. Mine was intermittent and not regular, but perhaps twice a week which was getting annoying. Cheers 

Hi Stuied, I appreciate it if you can let me know.    So far I’ve turned eARC to auto on my TV and set digital audio out to PCM.  If this doesn’t fix the issue I’ll try your method.

Badge +1

Unfortunately oriboaz suggestion does not work the sound has still dropped off. As such there is still no solution, Sonos and Sony remain quiet. Pretty expensive bit of kit to actually not work every time all the time, definitely a Sonos first for me (long time Sonos fan!) 🤔. Thanks Oriboaz it’s good to get any option to try and resolve.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had this issue since the arc was launched. its gonna need a firmware update as nothing else can fix it. at first I thought it was Sony's fault but looking through the posts on here it seems a lot of other TV brands have the same issue, but at least Sonos are now looking into it hopefully we get a fix soon.

It is actually my first Sonos and I’m disappointed.  I switched from Bose.  So here is what I tried and is working so far.  Go to your TV’s audio setting.  Turn eARC to Auto and switch digital audio output to PCM.  Mine dropped every couple of hours and ever since I made these changes I haven’t had any drops.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It is actually my first Sonos and I’m disappointed.  I switched from Bose.  So here is what I tried and is working so far.  Go to your TV’s audio setting.  Turn eARC to Auto and switch digital audio output to PCM.  Mine dropped every couple of hours and ever since I made these changes I haven’t had any drops.

tried all settings some reduce the issue but the sound drop still happens and I also refuse to spend £800 on an Atmos sound bar to run it in pcm 

Ian101181I understand.  Sonos arc has Atmos capabilities .

Badge +1

It is so random for me, I love the sound quality so will put up with it for now. I agree for the price this should acknowledge and a fix incorporated ASAP.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

These drop offs of sound:

1. does the sound come back immediately, or is it silent until you do some action? 
2. Do you know if they happen for all sound formats, or only for Dolby Digital Plus? 
3. Do you use the stock HDMI cable?

I have a Sony TV, without eArc. All my sound is via Apple TV 4k, which outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 (not plus). With the stock cable, sometimes the sound will partially drop off for a split second (it will become weaker, but not completely silent), and them come back immediately. I replaced the stock cable with a different HDMI cable (thicker), which improved things immensely. Since replacing the cable, in about two weeks I had this split-second drop off occur only twice. Now, it should not happen at all, but at least now it’s infrequent enough that I can live with it for a while. 
Now, you may think that an HDMI cable does not matter, but it can. The digital data going through it is encoded, and the receiving device needs to decode it. If the cable isn’t properly shielded, there may be interference that can cause problems. 

Badge +1

Hi Oriboaz, the sound stays off until i actually pull the plug out, just turning the tv does not work. I am only trying atmos plugged into the earc setting on my tv and using the cable provided by Sonos. The arc is wall mounted cables through the wall. To be honest it’s a pain putting new cables through the wall so would rather not even try a new cable. We should not have too if it’s the one provided. Cheers stuied

Badge

@stuied 

I am a fellow Sony Bravia owner (950G) who tried everything I could find. Currently problem free for 3 weeks and counting using Roku Ultra for streaming instead of the native apps on the TV. I am connected via HDMI / eARC with a brand new 8K cable (which itself didn’t fix the problem). Might consider giving it a try? I have another week before the Roku return period runs out, so fingers crossed...

Badge +1

Thanks 85D, I am not sure I want to go the Roku route, but great that it is working. I saw on another community post that Sonos have now acknowledged this as an issue and are working on a fix, so I am hoping this is sorted pretty soon, its been a frustrating couple of months changing all sorts of settings and thinking it was different things.

Badge

Reporting back, the Simple IP Control didn't fix the sound issue. I just had to restart my TV to fix it... Please keep us updated if there is a new fix.

Badge +1

No nothing ended up being a long term fix. However Sonos released an update yesterday, since I have had no issues, it appears to have fixed! Which is awesome news! Check your updates. 👍

Badge

I have the new update too. But it didn't fix the sound problem. :C